PDA

View Full Version : Trials tire PSI question

trials_uni
April 5th 06, 06:40 PM
i think i may be wrong but when i checked the psi on my luna tire it
says i have it at 22psi:eek: which doesnt make sense because i weigh
235lbs and ive never bottomed it out and ive done drops up to 2 feet on
it. is this possible or is my guage just way off?

-Phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Jim
April 5th 06, 06:47 PM
were you using a bike tire gauge? I have found automotive tire gauges
really unreliable for measuring bike tire pressures.

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

trials_uni
April 5th 06, 06:51 PM
yeah i used the guage at the bike shop where i work.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

toddw9
April 5th 06, 06:59 PM
I'm at 17PSI on a low-pressure guage that should be pretty accurate. I
weigh 165 and don't come close to bottoming out.

--
toddw9

Todd

Standard Disclaimer - Don't belive everything on the internet.
including what i say. For all you know I could be a 13year old kid from
some trailer park dreaming of driving my dads chevette and getting off
giving you bad advice
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

trials_uni
April 5th 06, 07:32 PM
well theres a big difference between 165 ans 235 and not much of a diff
between 17 and 22. plus ive seen people who are like 170 running
pressures of like 30-40psi..thats why i was wondering.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

koebwil
April 5th 06, 08:05 PM
You may just land too well. I have my tire at 20 PSI and I weigh 126
pounds. I,ve taken six foot drops without bottoming out.

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

Jerrick
April 5th 06, 10:39 PM
I weigh 170, and i keep my psi at 30, one time i tried 20 but it was too
close to bottoming out, but 30psi is perfect for me =p

--
Jerrick

from chosen:

can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
have a shoutout from you?

jonny

toddw9
April 5th 06, 10:54 PM
trials_uni wrote:
> plus ive seen people who are like 170 running pressures of like
> 30-40psi.

That's a lot of pressure for a trials tire. I run mine right where I
can give it a hard landing from about 2 feet and be just short of
bottoming out.

--
toddw9

Todd

Standard Disclaimer - Don't belive everything on the internet.
including what i say. For all you know I could be a 13year old kid from
some trailer park dreaming of driving my dads chevette and getting off
giving you bad advice
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

muzzle
April 5th 06, 11:41 PM
i run at 35 mostly, on a dirty old creepy crawler, can still bottom out
if i do something stupid. was running at 25 and that was just too
soft... but nice and bouncy ;)
i weight around 80Kg most of the time and my riding style is somewhat
agressive. im sure that when i finally get a luna of something other
than CC that i will drop that down to 25-30psi due to the sidewall
thinggy and less folding ability ;)

--
muzzle

sig.
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

trials_uni
April 5th 06, 11:56 PM
so you guys think that 22psi isnt that bad and that i just have good
landings?

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

toddw9
April 6th 06, 12:52 AM
trials_uni wrote:
> so you guys think that 22psi isnt that bad and that i just have good
> landings?

my landings tend to be pretty smooth so 17 is plenty for me. I would
think that a smooth landing helps a whole lot.

--
toddw9

Todd

Standard Disclaimer - Don't belive everything on the internet.
including what i say. For all you know I could be a 13year old kid from
some trailer park dreaming of driving my dads chevette and getting off
giving you bad advice
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 01:22 AM
ok then i feel beter now!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

harper
April 6th 06, 01:41 AM
trials_uni wrote:
> well theres a big difference between 165 ans 235 and not much of a diff
> between 17 and 22. plus ive seen people who are like 170 running
> pressures of like 30-40psi..thats why i was wondering.

There is a big difference between the -difference- of the numbers which
is unimportant. The -ratios- of the numbers are quite close. The
contact patch area of the tire should be very close to the same in both
cases.

I weigh in at 195 and keep my trials tire pressure so I just don't
bottom it as I precompress for a big hop. This is about 18 psig for me.
I am bottoming my tire on four foot drops. I don't care. Trials
unicycles are for beating up. I have been riding mine with a broken
spoke the last three times out.

Your idealized contact patch area is just that, an area. The pressure
of your tire is given in units of force per unit area. Your weight is
given in units of force. The quotient of the two yields a number with
units of area. If you weigh 235 pounds and your tire pressure is 22
psig then about 10 square inches of your tire would -ideally- being
making contact with the pavement. Tires are not ideal and are not
perfectly elastic.

Psig stands for pounds per square inch gauge which is the pressure
-above- the local atmospheric pressure. Psia stands for pounds per
square inch absolute which is the pressure compared to vacuum, zero,
free space. Psi is commonly used to indicate psig.

Jump, drop, scrape your trials uni and have a ball. Experiment with
different pressures. I will eventually pinch flat my trials tire. You
will too if you take my advice. Gerblefranklin is an accomplished
trials rider who will disagree with my assessment entirely. He differs
from me. He's talented, I'm not.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 02:58 AM
well seeing as how you seem to be a quite respected member of the forum
ill go out and buy a few new tubes and test out some diff pressures
tommrow and reprt back.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

markf
April 6th 06, 03:43 AM
i generally run between 20-25 psi in my luna. any lower and i fold like
crazy and bottom out anything higher than 3 feet. too much higher and i
have a significantly lower side hop. i weigh 190 or so.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102