PDA

View Full Version : Drying Sidi shoes

Bestest Handsander
April 6th 06, 07:13 PM
I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

Thanks

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 6th 06, 08:26 PM
>I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
> Thanks

It's probably the wrong thing to do, but I do exactly that- put them
directly over a heater vent on the floor. Works fine, and the shoes have
lasted for a number of years... no ill effects that I can tell.

Frankly, it's also really nice putting on shoes and gloves straight from the
heater vent. Nothing like pre-warmed clothing before going out into the
cold!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Bestest Handsander" > wrote in message
>I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
> Thanks

Pete Grey
April 6th 06, 09:26 PM
When mine get really soaked I put them on the ski boot dryer (we have a
DryGuy model) which blows air-temp or slightly heated air through them.
Dries 'em right up in a couple of hours.

-pete

"Bestest Handsander" > wrote in message
>I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
> Thanks

Peter Cole
April 6th 06, 09:46 PM
Bestest Handsander wrote:
> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

I always leave mine next to the oil burner, doesn't seem to harm them.
They dry much quicker if you open up the straps & pull the tongue out
and remove the innersole. I didn't have any luck with the newspaper
trick, either.

Hank Wirtz
April 6th 06, 09:55 PM
> "Bestest Handsander" > wrote in message
> >I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> >(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with
> >newspapers shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater
> >vent or some other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin
> >them, but putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

I'm pretty sure a pair of gloves I have are lorica, and I run them through
the Washer & Dryer frequently.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
. com...>
> It's probably the wrong thing to do, but I do exactly that- put them
> directly over a heater vent on the floor. Works fine, and the shoes have
> lasted for a number of years... no ill effects that I can tell.
>
> Frankly, it's also really nice putting on shoes and gloves straight from
> the heater vent. Nothing like pre-warmed clothing before going out into
> the cold!

That can backfire on you. I've put on clothes straight from the dryer, which
made me lightly sweat, which got REALLY cold once I got outside.

Dane Buson
April 6th 06, 10:22 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky > wrote:

> It's probably the wrong thing to do, but I do exactly that- put them
> directly over a heater vent on the floor. Works fine, and the shoes have
> lasted for a number of years... no ill effects that I can tell.

I've always just popped them in front of a fan. I've contemplated
getting a small one to leave in the office for soggy mornings.

> Frankly, it's also really nice putting on shoes and gloves straight from the
> heater vent. Nothing like pre-warmed clothing before going out into the
> cold!

Mmmmmmm, warm socks straight from the dryer.

--
Dane Buson -
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is

Matt O'Toole
April 6th 06, 10:24 PM
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:13:18 -0600, Bestest Handsander wrote:

> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

Huh? One of the main advantages of synthetic leather (Lorica) is that it
dries so much faster than real leather. The other big advantage is that
it holds its shape no matter what, unlike real leather which can stretch
out when it gets wet, or shrink as it dries.

In other words, don't worry about it.

I've never had problems with my Sidis not drying overnight. It would be
OK to put them in a warm (not hot) place though.

Tip: wool socks are comfortable wet or dry. Cotton are not.

Matt O.

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 6th 06, 11:28 PM
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:46:46 -0400, Peter Cole
> wrote:

>Bestest Handsander wrote:
>> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
>I always leave mine next to the oil burner, doesn't seem to harm them.
>They dry much quicker if you open up the straps & pull the tongue out
>and remove the innersole. I didn't have any luck with the newspaper
>trick, either.

The thing with newspapers is you have to change the paper. Put it in
for an hour, then take it out (it;ll have some moisture in it). Then
put in dry paper or air dry.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Michael Dart
April 7th 06, 12:06 AM
Bestest Handsander wrote:
> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out
> of (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with
> newspapers shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a
> heater vent or some other heat source to accelerate drying? I would
> hate to ruin them, but putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun
> at all.
>
> Thanks

I tried a ski boot dryer, low heat and moves lots of air. Worked good
except the foot bed liner curled up like a rolled taco. So take 'em out
first.

Mike

Kinky Cowboy
April 7th 06, 12:45 AM
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:13:18 -0600, "Bestest Handsander"
> wrote:

>I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
>Thanks

As noted by others, lots of air movement is the key. I got a rack full
of heavy duty 120mm computer fans out of a skip (dumpster), which does
double duty as a shoe dryer and a cooling fan for me when I'm on the
rollers

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Jay Beattie
April 7th 06, 02:05 AM
Michael Dart wrote:
> Bestest Handsander wrote:
> > I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out
> > of (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with
> > newspapers shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a
> > heater vent or some other heat source to accelerate drying? I would
> > hate to ruin them, but putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun
> > at all.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I tried a ski boot dryer, low heat and moves lots of air. Worked good
> except the foot bed liner curled up like a rolled taco. So take 'em out
> first.

I own a shoe dryer that is just a low heat source -- no fan at all.
Everything dries over night. Great product, cheap too. A must-have
appliance here in the Pacific Northwest . -- Jay Beattie.

Patrick Lamb
April 7th 06, 02:50 AM
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:24:43 -0400, Matt O'Toole
> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:13:18 -0600, Bestest Handsander wrote:
>> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
>Huh? One of the main advantages of synthetic leather (Lorica) is that it
>dries so much faster than real leather. The other big advantage is that
>it holds its shape no matter what, unlike real leather which can stretch
>out when it gets wet, or shrink as it dries.
>

>I've never had problems with my Sidis not drying overnight. It would be
>OK to put them in a warm (not hot) place though.

Like Matt, I've not had problems with Sidis not drying. I usually
leave them in front of the refrigerator overnight, but they've also
dried pretty well over a 9 hour work day under a table with a
computer. The fridge trick works with all kinds of shoes -- lots of
air movement without much heat.

And try a pair of suede and nylon shoes if you want to see drying
problems!

Pat

Email address works as is.

Mark Janeba
April 7th 06, 05:32 AM
Bestest Handsander wrote:

> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

When mine get really wet and it's damp in the house, I open 'em up, pull
out the insoles, and hang 'em by a trouser hanger in a doorway
inside the house. Gets 'em up where the air is warmer, seems to speed
the drying process, but it's pretty darn quick in any case.

The kind of clothes hanger with pinch clips at each end - clip one
heel cup in each clip.

Mark

April 7th 06, 05:39 AM
Bestest Handsander wrote:
> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

I have Sidi Lorica shoes and this is how I dry them. I put a fan on
them (blowing room temp air) and leave it a few hours. I don't put it
any heat on them.

Bestest Handsander
April 7th 06, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! My last ride was so wet, the shoes wouldn't
have been any soggier if I had dunked them in a bucket! But today it snowed,
so I'll stop complaining about the rain!

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bestest Handsander wrote:
>> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with
>> newspapers
>> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or
>> some
>> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
> I have Sidi Lorica shoes and this is how I dry them. I put a fan on
> them (blowing room temp air) and leave it a few hours. I don't put it
> any heat on them.

Roy Zipris
April 7th 06, 12:12 PM
My version: when my shoes get that drenched on a ride, I definitely
have to run the dehumidifier in my basement, so I place my shoes on top
of the dehumidifier. I remove the inner soles and stuff in newspaper,
removing it after a while and replacing with dry newsprint. Overnight,
I remove the paper and let the air do its work. Good to go the next
morning. Regards, Roy Zipris

Mike Reed
April 7th 06, 02:01 PM
Just to add another suggestion... once they dry to the point that they
won't drip, I often put mine upside-down on my monitor here at work.
Very warm place for them to dry off.

....at least it was before I got the dual LCD setup. Now there's no
place to set them :-/

Bestest Handsander wrote:
> I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
> (Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
> shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
> other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
> putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.
>
> Thanks

April 7th 06, 02:42 PM
Like Roy Zipris said, I have a dehumidifier. Still, I stuff newspaper
inside. One of the tricks here is to leave a good portion of the
newspaper sticking out, this helps wick the moisture out of the shoe.

stuff in the newspaper with a tail hangingout, then laythem upside-down
on the dehumidifier. It takes a couple hours for even the wettest shoes.

Alex Rodriguez
April 7th 06, 05:06 PM
In article >,
says...

>I love my Sidi Genius shoes, but whatever material they make them out of
>(Lorica) takes forever to dry when they get soaked... even with newspapers
>shoved inside. Has anyone tried putting them next to a heater vent or some
>other heat source to accelerate drying? I would hate to ruin them, but
>putting on wet shoes the next day is not fun at all.

mine have always dried over night when left near a window. I pull the insole
out, flip the tongue up and stuff with newspaper. Since they are made with
lorica, I doubt some heat would hurt them.
Alex

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home