PDA

View Full Version : new jim c oddessy pedals

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 08:25 PM
i just got 2 pairs of jim c's with brand new pins for FREE!! i just
wanted to kno what you guys though about these pedals...ive heard that
theyre alright but i just wanted to kno what you guys thought.

-Phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

UNIquelyCanadian
April 6th 06, 08:29 PM
They are arguably the best(for the price) pedals for trials/street
available. Remove the pins from one side and they are great for
grinding (or so I've heard)

Are you interested in selling your spare set?

--
UNIquelyCanadian

~Cameron
Macro Photography: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

“When someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, they are
asking you not to believe them. So don’t.”
- Dr. Roger Scruton
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

TrialsUni
April 6th 06, 08:39 PM
I've beat the crap out of one set of those pedals. They take the abuse
well!

They have pretty good grip, depending on what kind of shoes you wear,
too.

One of the things that I worry about with any pedal is how strong the
spindles are. I think after a years' use, at least one spindle is just
a tiny bit bent...I feel a difference when I buy a new set. I could be
wrong though, because it's hardly noticeable. And I use my pedals for
little over a year before they're beat up enough to invest in a new
set. By that time the unsealed (why waste the money when you're going
to bash them up doing pedal grabs anyway) bearings are really loose,
and the pedals jiggle around the spindles. Pretty haggard. I never
maintenance my pedals, either.

I'm on my second set of Jim C's. I like them. They are a pretty
decent pedal. I don't see myself riding anything else in the
foreseeable future.

later,
Evan

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

koebwil
April 6th 06, 09:01 PM
If they are different colors put on one of each. That would rock

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
'come to my gallery.' (http://tinyurl.com/qssag)
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 09:12 PM
i might sell a pair cameron. but i wanna ride a round on em first cuz if
i like em then ill probly keep em so that ill have good pedals for when
i need to change my current ones. but if id dont like em i will be
selling both pairs so that i can get my konas. ill report back i a week
or so.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Seager
April 6th 06, 09:57 PM
I have a pair and hate 'em. I wear 661 shoes, arguably the best for
grip, and my feet slide off jimc's more than any other pedal I've
tried, including $5 LBS pedals.

The pins are too short and worthless, and the shape of the pedals,
while good for grinding, is horrible for gripping your foot.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 09:59 PM
well im going out to ride in a few minutes and ive never ridden jimc's
before so i guess ill just have to see

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 11:00 PM
i just went for a bout an hour long ride on the new jimcs and i love
them...theyre so grippy and the huge platforms are great for when you
fudge a landing cuz you have alot more room that your foot can move
before it falls of the pedals. all in all i can fairly safely say that
these are the best pedals by far thatve ever ridden. the one drawback
however is that they are pretty heavy but ill get used to that!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

andrew_carter
April 6th 06, 11:29 PM
I bought blue ones several months ago in anticipation of my new muni
upgrade. Finally it's about to happen (I really mean it this
time...there is a deadline) so I will be able to try them out. I've
kept them in mint condition until I can put them on the new muni.

They look fantastic.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

trials_uni
April 6th 06, 11:46 PM
mine look kinda crappy cuz theyre used but thas ok cuz they still rock!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

maestro8
April 7th 06, 12:46 AM
Seager wrote:
> my feet slide off jimc's more than any other pedal I've tried...the
> shape of the pedals, while good for grinding, is horrible for gripping
> your foot.

The concave in the pedals should help keep your foot in place much
better than any flat pedal. Have you ever considered that your
technique is poor and you're just blaming your pedals for lack of a
better reason? I've ridden crazy slippery muni with JimC's covered in
mud, and still managed to keep a grip in crappy old hiking shoes.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

koebwil
April 7th 06, 12:49 AM
maestro8 wrote:
> The concave in the pedals should help keep your foot in place much
> better than any flat pedal. Have you ever considered that your
> technique is poor and you're just blaming your pedals for lack of a
> better reason? I've ridden crazy slippery muni with JimC's covered in
> mud, and still managed to keep a grip in crappy old hiking shoes.

O-h- -S-n-a-p-!- - -N-o- -y-o-u- -d-i-d-n-'-t-!-

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
'come to my gallery.' (http://tinyurl.com/qssag)
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

maestro8
April 7th 06, 01:05 AM
koebwil wrote:
> Oh Snap! No you didn't!

[image: http://campkitsch.com/images/designs/originals/snap.jpg]
*-YES I DID!-*

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

koebwil
April 7th 06, 01:13 AM
maestro8 wrote:
> [image: http://campkitsch.com/images/designs/originals/snap.jpg]
> *-YES I DID!-*

Beautiful man, just beautiful.

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
'come to my gallery.' (http://tinyurl.com/qssag)
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

markf
April 7th 06, 01:34 AM
i'd have to agree that these pedals are good for street and grinding but
not so super for muni or anything else really. snafus are concave and
have long pins, how could they not grip better?

not to derail but has anyone tried the felt bmx pedals? they're HUGE
and have tons of pins.

http://feltbmx.com/06_components/06_pedal.html#

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Seager
April 7th 06, 02:14 AM
maestro8 wrote:
> The concave in the pedals should help keep your foot in place much
> better than any flat pedal. Have you ever considered that your
> technique is poor and you're just blaming your pedals for lack of a
> better reason? I've ridden crazy slippery muni with JimC's covered in
> mud, and still managed to keep a grip in crappy old hiking shoes.

The Jim C's that I have are not very concave at all. My Konas ARE
concave and grip well. Like I said, the $5-10 pedals I bought at a
local bike shop blow Jim C's out of the water for grip. If I just had
bad technique they would all suck, wouldn't they? Maybe you think Jim
C's are good just because you've never ridden a pedal that actually HAD
decent grip.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

tomsey
April 7th 06, 04:39 AM
i gotta say, they arent the grippiest pedals in the world. but i cant
stand having my feet stuck to the pedals, especially when my feet leave
the pedals as often as they do. i want a bit of slide to readjust my
foot position after i land on them.

jim C's are an awesome pedal, for grinding and unispins etc, they come
in a range of colours, although i dont think they come in sealed...
which is a little disappointing

--
tomsey

damn you, damn the brocholli and damn the wright brothers!
tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

mango
April 7th 06, 04:44 AM
I ride muni, trials and street all on the same 24 machine. I'd have to
say that the jim c's are the best that ive tried for all those
categories so far.

I'll agree with Seager that the grip is NOT infact that great. What i
did do right off the bat was take out the stock pins that the pedals
came with and put in the longer pins that came in a seperate little
baggy in the box when i bought the pedals. That made a world of
difference. Still there is something to be desired with grip on rough
muni. But, to be fair, they are still pretty good. There are not too
many instances when i wished they grip better for trials and street.

I think it was cameron who mentioned the pins outa one side for
grinding. I took the pins out and filed down the knurling[?] on that
side too to make for a super slick grinding surface. I am very happy
with the grinds. VERY HAPPY :)

As for strength: sometimes on a really high drop or particularly hard
pedal grab i think "Damn. I had to have messed something up on that one
for sure!". But No. These damn pedals keep on trucking. There is no
rattling on loose bearings but ive only had them for half a year.
Still, a lot of rough riding in that half a year.

In conclusion, when this pair dies, I will get a new pair of the same
exact thing. I am nearly completely satisfied with them and the price
tag makes it a no-brainer for me.

--
mango

*Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

markf
April 7th 06, 05:05 AM
i will say they are very strong pedals. i know more than a few bmxers
who swear by them. also, unlike tomsey, i like that super attached hard
to readjust my feet feeling. especially for muni and regular trials.
for street i'd probably do better with some like the jim c's but i
don't have a dedicated street uni and i really do more urban trials
than street anyway.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

munimanpete
April 7th 06, 12:13 PM
tomsey wrote:
> although i dont think they come in sealed... which is a little
> disappointing

Yeah they do come in sealed...Joe just got some.

--
munimanpete

*www.muniman.2ya.com*
WWW.UNICYCLETIPS.COM
*www.unicycle.co.nz*
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

maestro8
April 7th 06, 05:06 PM
Seager wrote:
> Maybe you think Jim C's are good just because you've never ridden a
> pedal that actually HAD decent grip.

Maybe you've found a pedal that takes technique to fully appreciate.
Maybe my assumption is wrong. Maybe your assumption is wrong... I rode
some bear-trap Snafus before and found them so incredibly grippy I
couldn't adjust my foot on the pedal without going one-footed for part
of a rev. Not exactly what you want to do in the middle of riding
muni.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Seager
April 7th 06, 09:08 PM
maestro8 wrote:
> Maybe you've found a pedal that takes technique to fully appreciate.
> Maybe my assumption is wrong. Maybe your assumption is wrong... I rode
> some bear-trap Snafus before and found them so incredibly grippy I
> couldn't adjust my foot on the pedal without going one-footed for part
> of a rev. Not exactly what you want to do in the middle of riding
> muni.

Lets say this then, your technique is such that you are good on teflon
pedals and not so good on grippy pedals, and my technique is such that
I'm not so good on teflon pedals but good on grippy pedals. Learning
to adjust on grippy pedals is just as much a skill as learning not to
slide off non-grippy pedals.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

maestro8
April 8th 06, 12:13 AM
Seager wrote:
> teflon pedals

:confused: My JC's are heavy metal like Spinal Tap... cranked up to
11. I don't mess around with no non-stick frying-pan pedals.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

trials_uni
April 8th 06, 12:38 AM
hahahaha had to laugh!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home