PDA

View Full Version : I'm fixed!

ritcho
April 7th 06, 05:22 AM
I now have my heapa/commute/do anything fixie completed and test ridden.
It consists of
- an old "Cyclops Sprint 10" (or something) painted black steel frame
(circa 1985)
- new chrome 700C fork
- secondhand 165mm cranks + 42T chainring, new cheap BB.
- new home-built rear wheel with flipflop Velocity hub, Aerohead rim
and 14g straight gauge spokes
- front wheel from the shed (RSX hub, Alex da22 rim)
- original handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle
- ancient sidepull front brake (for five bucks), new cable and housing,
new Diacompe lever.
- new Connex 1/8in chain.
- pedals from an old heapa that bit the dust years ago, but had
toe-clips. I removed the straps and kept the plastic bits to guide the
shoes into the right spot, but not trap them.

First ride...

I've never ridden a fixie before, so I thought some caution was in
order. Taking off and stopping took a bit of extra concentration,
whilst climbing out of the saddle was ok until sitting back down. I
must have a habit of coasting for brief moment when sitting back down
that I forgot about a couple of times (oops!). Luckily I didn't fall
off and I'm sure I need more practice, but I declare the project a
total success! :D

Ritch

--
ritcho

Resound
April 7th 06, 09:34 AM
"ritcho" > wrote in message

> I now have my heapa/commute/do anything fixie completed and test ridden.
> It consists of
> - an old "Cyclops Sprint 10" (or something) painted black steel frame
> (circa 1985)
> - new chrome 700C fork
> - secondhand 165mm cranks + 42T chainring, new cheap BB.
> - new home-built rear wheel with flipflop Velocity hub, Aerohead rim
> and 14g straight gauge spokes
> - front wheel from the shed (RSX hub, Alex da22 rim)
> - original handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle
> - ancient sidepull front brake (for five bucks), new cable and housing,
> new Diacompe lever.
> - new Connex 1/8in chain.
> - pedals from an old heapa that bit the dust years ago, but had
> toe-clips. I removed the straps and kept the plastic bits to guide the
> shoes into the right spot, but not trap them.
>
> First ride...
>
> I've never ridden a fixie before, so I thought some caution was in
> order. Taking off and stopping took a bit of extra concentration,
> whilst climbing out of the saddle was ok until sitting back down. I
> must have a habit of coasting for brief moment when sitting back down
> that I forgot about a couple of times (oops!). Luckily I didn't fall
> off and I'm sure I need more practice, but I declare the project a
> total success! :D
>
> Ritch

Yay for fixie goodness. It's surprising how addictive it can be :)

Resound
April 8th 06, 03:16 PM
"Ricardo" > wrote in message
> It is the only way to fly...
>
> "Resound" > wrote in message
>>
>> "ritcho" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I now have my heapa/commute/do anything fixie completed and test ridden.
>>> It consists of
>>> - an old "Cyclops Sprint 10" (or something) painted black steel frame
>>> (circa 1985)
>>> - new chrome 700C fork
>>> - secondhand 165mm cranks + 42T chainring, new cheap BB.
>>> - new home-built rear wheel with flipflop Velocity hub, Aerohead rim
>>> and 14g straight gauge spokes
>>> - front wheel from the shed (RSX hub, Alex da22 rim)
>>> - original handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle
>>> - ancient sidepull front brake (for five bucks), new cable and housing,
>>> new Diacompe lever.
>>> - new Connex 1/8in chain.
>>> - pedals from an old heapa that bit the dust years ago, but had
>>> toe-clips. I removed the straps and kept the plastic bits to guide the
>>> shoes into the right spot, but not trap them.
>>>
>>> First ride...
>>>
>>> I've never ridden a fixie before, so I thought some caution was in
>>> order. Taking off and stopping took a bit of extra concentration,
>>> whilst climbing out of the saddle was ok until sitting back down. I
>>> must have a habit of coasting for brief moment when sitting back down
>>> that I forgot about a couple of times (oops!). Luckily I didn't fall
>>> off and I'm sure I need more practice, but I declare the project a
>>> total success! :D
>>>
>>> Ritch
>>>
>> Yay for fixie goodness. It's surprising how addictive it can be :)

Is it just me who's completely failing to spot any added content in this
reply?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home