PDA

View Full Version : New Crit circuit opening

warrwych
April 7th 06, 06:11 AM
Shamelessly stolen from the Caulfield Carnegie webpages:

NEW Grand opening of criterium circuit
Apr 07 2006
by Mal Sawford

You are cordially invited to the official opening of the track at Casey
Fields...

On Saturday the 8th of April 2006 at 9am, you are cordially invited to
the Official Opening of the Criterium Track at Casey Fields.

It will be opened by Cr Kevin Bradford, the Mayor of the City of Casey.
Also present will be David McKenzie and other cycling celebrities.

If you have the time, please show up - wear our jersey to let the
people of Casey know who we are. Also bring your bike because after all
the official duties have been performed the track will be open to the
public.

Casey Fields is at Melways Map 134 D7, on the Berwick-Cranbourne road.

--
warrwych

Bleve
April 7th 06, 10:58 AM
warrwych wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from the Caulfield Carnegie webpages:
>
> NEW Grand opening of criterium circuit
> Apr 07 2006
> by Mal Sawford
>
> You are cordially invited to the official opening of the track at Casey
> Fields...

Forecast for Saturday
A few light showers persisting. Cloudy periods with a fresh
southwesterly wind
gradually easing during the day.

It'll be just like Modella, windy ... cold ... wet ... mmmmm ....

flyingdutch
April 7th 06, 11:18 AM
warrwych Wrote:
> Shamelessly stolen from the Caulfield Carnegie webpages:
>
> NEW Grand opening of criterium circuit
> Apr 07 2006
> by Mal Sawford
>
> You are cordially invited to the official opening of the track at Casey
> Fields...

well, that's no good!

I wanna FLAT crit track near ME!!!

F"It's all about ME"Dutch

--
flyingdutch

Andrew Price
April 9th 06, 07:46 AM
rooman wrote -

> Southern Vets raced today and all round general consensus is *the track
> at Casey Fields is TOO NARROW,* dangersously so!

> any thoughts out there?

Any possibility of using an alternative motor racing track out of their
normal hours? - usually good width and surface, correct cambers, lots of
passing room but not in the most convenient places and they often ask
serious $ - but the safest tracks for cycle racing by a country mile imho.

best Andrew

Bleve
April 9th 06, 09:34 AM
Andrew Price wrote:
> rooman wrote -
>
> > Southern Vets raced today and all round general consensus is *the track
> > at Casey Fields is TOO NARROW,* dangersously so!
>
> > any thoughts out there?
>
> Any possibility of using an alternative motor racing track out of their
> normal hours? - usually good width and surface, correct cambers, lots of
> passing room but not in the most convenient places and they often ask
> serious $ - but the safest tracks for cycle racing by a country mile imho.

We already use Sandown and Philip Island (and the Lang Lang proving
grounds and the Anglesea proving grounds). They're pretty expensive, I
recall Mal Sawford and I discussing Anglesea and it was aparently
around $3000 for the day (or maybe $2000? I can't recall exactly) we
used it last year. CCCC's crit program basically paid for it
(thankyou CCCC).

Re the critisism of the track for being too narrow, it's no worse than
METEC, or most country roads we use for road races. Ride according to
the conditions and it should not be a problem. Ride like idiots ....
It's not Glenvale or Sandown ... so you can't ride it like it is. Race
the grades at different times and you eliminate the issue with
overtaking, as there's no road closures required this shouldn't be a
major issue.

What it can also be is a good training course for juniors etc who live
out that way, but for different reasons than as cited by rooman it's
unlikely to be a successful crit track. It's way too far away from
Melbourne. 2 hours (1hr+ each way for most) driving for a 50min-1hr
crit? At least that'll keep the numbers down ... :-/ Cycle racing
isn't a big sport in the bogan heartland and isn't likely to be, so
it's really in a bad place.

Zebee Johnstone
April 9th 06, 10:35 AM
In aus.bicycle on 9 Apr 2006 01:34:47 -0700
Bleve > wrote:

> We already use Sandown and Philip Island (and the Lang Lang proving
> grounds and the Anglesea proving grounds). They're pretty expensive, I

Broadford maybe? Is Winton still going? Miles from anywhere of
course, but worth a try.

I suspect that Broadford at least is in use most weekends, but if they
have weekends not heavily used then maybe powered and unpowered could
do turn and turn about.

Zebee

Bleve
April 10th 06, 06:26 AM
Gemma Kernich wrote:
> "rooman" > wrote in message
> >
> > Southern Vets raced today and all round general consensus is *the track
> > at Casey Fields is TOO NARROW,* dangersously so!
> >
> But now narrow actually is it?

6m, I think.

It's not too narrow, they just want another Sandown, and/or are using
it poorly.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home