PDA

View Full Version : Torker CX - se good starter Uni? (noob question)

chromizone
April 7th 06, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone, just got interested in Uni's a little while ago, been
watching some vids and checking them out online and stuff, I'm looking
at buying a

http://tinyurl.com/ql44l

It's a 20" Torker CX-SE in green and black, but I was curious how the
CX's stack up to the DX or LX ( I've heard people mention these but not
CX's)

And is this a good deal for the costs? I'm in Canada (ontario) and
would have to pay shipping and probably insane taxes (unless I could
persuade the seller to send it as a gift)

so I suppose my question is, is this a good starter Uni? good costs?
seat quality? etc? does any one else have suggestions on what to buy as
a starter Uni? the Cheaper the better.

Thanks a ton guys

Take it easy.

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

UNIquelyCanadian
April 7th 06, 04:24 PM
I'd be careful trying to buy a unicycle from the US off ebay, some
people have been nailed with crazy fees. You might get through OK, but
it would be a chance you'd take.

Check out www.bedfordunicycles.ca and see if anything is in your price
range. He's in Toronto and a unicycle from him might be cost less then
one off ebay by the time it gets here. Call him up (or email) and see
if he can set you up with a basic unicycle.

If you decide to go the ebay route, I've heard the LX is defiantly
worth the extra money compared to the CX.

--
UNIquelyCanadian

~Cameron
Macro Photography: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

“When someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, they are
asking you not to believe them. So don’t.”
- Dr. Roger Scruton
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

tholub
April 7th 06, 04:27 PM
The LX is definitely worth the slight bit extra as a starter unicycle.
It has a better frame, better wheel, better pedals, and better seat.
The CX is a throw-away unicycle; the LX will last you.

--
tholub

ntappin
April 7th 06, 08:28 PM
Bedfords prices are pretty high so the best bet for a good starter
without breaking the budget in Canada is probably to check out your
local bike shops. Most won't have unicycles in stock but most should be
able to order one for you which will save you lots of money on shipping
and border fees. I would recommend if you have a choice when picking
your unicycle that you get a unicycle with a squared off crown and if
you have a choice in seats then get the best they have. If you do that
then once you get better at unicycling you shouldn't have to replace
everthing and it will remain a great freestyle.

--
ntappin

chromizone
April 7th 06, 08:38 PM
So what should I be looking for in a seat exactly? I'm a bit too new to
know exactly whats best.

Or does anyone have a used one in Canada? one thats decent and will
last me?

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

chromizone
April 7th 06, 08:42 PM
Or does anyone have a used one in Canada? one thats decent and will last
me?

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Eroick
April 7th 06, 11:25 PM
care to tell us what city you live in? some people might know a cycle
shop that stocks unis near you.

As far as seats go, lift handles are nice (thing to hold onto on the
front of the seat). Make SURE that you are not getting a savage seat
(look here: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=237)

I dont know the CX or LX though.

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

chromizone
April 8th 06, 12:24 AM
I'm out in Pickering, and recently found out that Bay Cycle carries
Uni's but only two models, I'll take a gander next time I'm over there
and come back with costs and model names etc, to see what you guys
think.

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976