PDA

View Full Version : I've plateaued, now what?

morecowbell
April 9th 06, 02:47 AM
For the past two months or so I've been practicing in my apartment
complex clubhouse. The clubhouse has a long hallway that I could
barely touch the walls on either side. At first it was difficult to
stay balanced, but pretty soon I started feeling comfortable going back
and forth along the length of the hallway. BUT, I would have to touch
the wall on every 1-3 revolutions to regain my balance. I guess I'm at
a point where I rely on the wall too much. Even without the wall I
still lasted 1-3 revs. With the wall I don't need to dismount and
mount the uni constantly. What do I do to get to the next step, by not
relying on the wall, aside from just practicing out in the open?

--
morecowbell
morecowbell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11679

wheeliemaster
April 9th 06, 03:38 AM
I love your picture of Will Ferrell! That has got to be one of the
funniest skits ever! Every time I hear "Don't Fear The Reaper" now, I
laugh and think about that skit!

Sounds like you just need to practice out in the open.

--
wheeliemaster
wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

markf
April 9th 06, 03:46 AM
yeah. find a wider hallway so you can lightly touch after you go a ways
and get a little crooked while riding. either that or just go out in
the open. find something to mount with and just go.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

terrybigwheel
April 9th 06, 04:43 AM
morecowbell wrote:
> For the past two months or so I've been practicing in my apartment
> complex clubhouse. The clubhouse has a long hallway that I could
> barely touch the walls on either side. At first it was difficult to
> stay balanced, but pretty soon I started feeling comfortable going back
> and forth along the length of the hallway. BUT, I would have to touch
> the wall on every 1-3 revolutions to regain my balance. I guess I'm at
> a point where I rely on the wall too much. Even without the wall I
> still lasted 1-3 revs. With the wall I don't need to dismount and
> mount the uni constantly. What do I do to get to the next step, by not
> relying on the wall, aside from just practicing out in the open?

"He speaks for ALL of us". (from the will ferrell "Cowbell" sketch on
snl)
it is HILARIOUS!:D

here's the link to the original SNL sketch:
http://www.ojai.net/swanson/snlshows.htm

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Klaas Bil
April 9th 06, 08:01 AM
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:47:23 -0500, morecowbell wrote:

>What do I do to get to the next step, by not
>relying on the wall, aside from just practicing out in the open?

I remember I had that too. I could more or less ride along a wall /
gym rack. Mind you, not touching it, just knowing it was there when I
needed it. But in the open I would fall within a few metres. The
instructor in the club where I was learning at the time, offered his
shoulder (or maybe his hand) as a moving support, and walked alongside
in big circles through the gym. I lightened my grip more and more, and
within minutes I was riding solo. That was a breakthrough moment!

My daughter learned with me walking besides her. She had to hold onto
me, however lightly. That it was mostly psychological became apparent
when holding to some non-taut string of my jacket was already
sufficient for her. Once she realised that, she could let go
altogether.

I've taught others though this stage by riding besides them, holding
hands. This is surprisingly easy for a learner, easier than support
from a walking person, and of course it looks (feels) a lot better
too. Subsequently you work on loosening the support over time.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home