PDA

View Full Version : Re: Clear Channel Radio DJs threatening cyclists, again!

Corvus Corvax
September 6th 03, 02:09 AM
(Karen M.) wrote

> Stop Radio 'Hate Crimes' Against Cyclists

Radio Hate Crimes? How exactly does one commit a "Radio Hate Crime"?

> Dear Mr. Hogan.:
>
> I'm an avid radio listener and avid cyclist. Given this past weekend's
> death of two cyclists in Dallas Texas, I'm compelled to respond to
> your DJs comments on Houston affiliate KLOL.

Dear Mr. Hogan:

I am somehow compelled to listen to your moronic morning DJs despite the
fact that they are a bunch of sophomoric twits. Please save me from myself,
because I drive to work instead of cycling and don't have the self-control
to listen to a CD, or nothing, instead of inane commercial chatter on the
airwaves.

Sincerely,

Doored in Seattle

Burr
September 7th 03, 03:19 PM
I just sent off four letters.

Burr

grasshopperNC
September 25th 03, 02:51 PM
G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
bottles at our heads!!

Raptor
September 26th 03, 03:27 AM
Joe wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2003 23:41:24 +0950, grasshopperNC
> > wrote:
>

>>G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
>>row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
>>can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
>>all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
>>bottles at our heads!!
>

> Well do you think they may not only know, but are encouraging it.
> After all, there is nothing like antagonism to get people to tune in.
> This increases their ratings which means they can then charge more for
> advertising. Hell, their ratings would probably go through the roof if
> a cyclist gets his skull caved in by a thrown bottle.
>
> It does, however, offer an opportunity. I don't know where the
> broadcast area for G105 is, but if you have a lot of cyclist in the
> area you could make an example of them which in turn would give
> cyclist more clout when dealing with other issues and people for ex:
> politicians. Get cyclist in your area involved. Don't send e-mail to
> Clear Channel. Send it to the people who advertise on Clear Channel.

If those jocks wanna play hardball, play hardball. Publish their
addresses, names and pictures of their family members. Make sure to let
them know you did.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Roadside Artist
September 26th 03, 03:38 AM
The most effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to find out who
advertises on their show, then write letters to the advertisers, informing
them that these guys are promoting actual crimes, including the details, and
inform them that you will boycott their product as long as they advertise on
these guys' show. You will get your friends to do the same. Don't use bad
language, just make a statement that they will be boycotted as long as they
help support criminal conduct.

It will stop.

"grasshopperNC" > wrote in message
| G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
| row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
| can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
| all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
| bottles at our heads!!
|

| --

Steven Goodridge
September 26th 03, 06:20 AM
grasshopperNC > wrote in message >...
> G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
> row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
> can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
> all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
> bottles at our heads!!

I spoke in person with G105/WDCG-FM station manager Ken Spitzer for about 30
minutes today at the Clear Channel Communications studios in Raleigh NC. Mr.
Spitzer was polite and listened carefully to my concerns.

In short:

1. G105/WDCG-FM has denied my request on behalf of the North Carolina Bicycle
Club and the North Carolina Coalition for Bicycle Driving for a transcript or
copy of a recording of the Sept 22-23 programs where morning radio personality
Bob Dumas allegedly encouraged motorists to assault cyclists on the roadway by
intentionally striking them with their cars or throwing bottles at them. It was
explained to me that it is company policy to not provide such material and that
since the station does not recognize road bicyclists in general as a specific
political group, the FCC rule requiring them to provide a transcript to
individuals or groups attacked on the air does not apply.

2. Station manager Ken Spitzer offered no apologies for the comments made on the
air, and dismissed the controversy as nothing different from the typical result
of talk radio shows designed to get attention.

3. Ken Spitzer was surprised to hear from me that cyclists had the same legal
rights to use roadways as licensed drivers of motor vehicles. He said that he
did not previously know about this, and speculated that most people do not. He
explained that he thinks this general lack of public information should excuse
the behavior of those at his radio station.

4. Ken Spitzer said that he would need to call NCDOT's bicycle and pedestrian
division to verify my claim that cyclists have the legal right to use roadways.

5. The radio station is well equipped to deflect and ignore large volumes of
complaints from listeners and has little to fear from this. Insulting, angy
emails and phone calls do not get any attention as this is considered just part
of the business.

6. Ken Spitzer will be out of town for a few days for a long weekend and cannot
be reached until he returns.

What to do next:

Because I did not hear the original broadcasts and have been unable to obtain
the content to review the on-air comments of Bob Dumas myself, I feel that there
is little that I can do personally or on behalf of NCBC or NCCBD in the way of
making a very strong case to either the FCC or the management of Clear Channel
Communications (which owns G105). However, realizing that most of us will still
want to have our concerns heard, here are some suggestions for those who want to
make something happen:

1. Write a careful, polite, but firm letter to (a) Clear Channel Communications
and/or (b) the FCC and/or (c) your local police department explaining the
reasons for your concerns and what steps you think should be taken to correct
the situation.

2. If you are working with second-hand information of uncertain origin, say so,
i.e. "I heard that X happened" and say why this information worries you - this
is generates more empathy than just assuming that a possible misquote is true.

3. If you did hear the broadcast yourself, say so and use as many details as
possible.

4. I think that at a minimum, if the allegations are true, we should expect and
demand multiple on-air apologies by the station management, and the dedication
of considerable monetary resources and air time to convey safe roadway cycling
information and thorough description of the rights of cyclists to use the
roadways. At a maximum - well, demand whatever you want. I'd like to see Bob
Dumas looking for a new job.

Contact information follows:

John Hogan
President/CEO Clear Channel Radio
200 East Basse Road
San Antonio, TX 78209

Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications,
or
Clear Channel public relations:

Lowry Mays
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Mike Powell, FCC Chairman,

-----------------------------
In closing, I recommend that you make your communications civil and persuasive,
with concrete suggestions of actions that you think should be taken. Note that
snail mail is slower but is sometimes taken more seriously. Thank you for
putting your energy to good use. If anyone is harassed or assaulted and you
believe it might be related to these broadcasts, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Steve Goodridge
Vice President, NCBC

Paul Kammueller
September 26th 03, 02:56 PM
"Roadside Artist" > wrote in message >...
> The most effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to find out who
> advertises on their show, then write letters to the advertisers, informing
> them that these guys are promoting actual crimes, including the details, and
> inform them that you will boycott their product as long as they advertise on
> these guys' show. You will get your friends to do the same. Don't use bad
> language, just make a statement that they will be boycotted as long as they
> help support criminal conduct.
>
> It will stop.

Here's a quick list of sponsors & vendors found on their website:

Kroger groceries
Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar
Time Warner Cable
cc.com
attwireless.com
Slim Jim
Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC
Walt Disney Home Entertainment
VistaPrint
Palm Computer
Date.com

And, most ironically:
thegreenguide.com (!?!)

Burr
September 26th 03, 04:00 PM
Would you please post the town/city, state and call signs of
the station.

TIA

Burr

grasshopperNC wrote:

> G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
> row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
> can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
> all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
> bottles at our heads!!
>

> --

Karen M.
September 26th 03, 05:14 PM
Steven wrote:
> Because I did not hear the original broadcasts and have been unable to obtain
> the content to review the on-air comments of Bob Dumas myself...

Here's something posted to the Yahoo group bicyclingadvocacy
(founded by Ken Kifer). HTH
--Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just read this off of Roadbikerider.com's newsletter. Pretty
chilling. My conspiracy theory is that the CEO of CC is in bed with W
and is just trying to promote gasoline use over the future, bicycling.
How 'bout everyone write the boob, Mark Mays, and tell him how upset
you are.
Thanks,
Snake

<SNIP>
We're beginning to see a pattern.

Earlier this week, the morning show DJs at a radio station in Raleigh,
NC, owned by Clear Channel Communications launched into the same "run
cyclists off the road" tirade aired by its stations in Cleveland and
Houston.

We reported on those incidents in recent newsletters and put a
well-written letter of complaint on our website at
www.roadbikerider.com/your_turn.htm. (See "Stop Radio 'Hate Crimes'
Against Cyclists.")

Notes TriangleMTB.com, a Raleigh-area cycling website:

"Clear Channel stations across the nation are broadcasting almost
criminal 'kill bicyclists' verbiage by shock jocks. The recent attacks
occurred on G105 in the NC Triangle market two days in a row (9/22 and
23). Perhaps it is time to let Clear Channel know that these actions
will not be tolerated by the cycling community."

It appeared that the company had gotten the message, thanks to the way
cyclists mobilized in Cleveland and Houston.

Clear Channel apologized, made donations to local cycling causes and
aired "share the road" public service announcements. A program manager
reportedly was fired.

But now, Raleigh. Coming on the heels of the other two morning show
episodes, you have to wonder if Clear Channel is conducting an
organized assault on cyclists. It all seems too coincidental, doesn't
it?

To read the disgusting details of the latest DJ outrage, click
http://www.trianglemtb.com/#g105sucks
[JB]

To write to Mark Mays, president and COO of Clear Channel
Communications, use MarkPMays@c...

Mitch Haley
September 26th 03, 06:59 PM
"Karen M." wrote:
> But now, Raleigh. Coming on the heels of the other two morning show
> episodes, you have to wonder if Clear Channel is conducting an
> organized assault on cyclists. It all seems too coincidental, doesn't
> it?
>
> To read the disgusting details of the latest DJ outrage, click
> http://www.trianglemtb.com/#g105sucks

Is this referring to separate attacks by DJs at the three stations,
or is it from one taped morning show played at several Clear Channel
stations?

Mitch

Mitch Haley
September 26th 03, 08:14 PM
If you're wondering what stations Clear Channel owns in your area, go here
to the search page:
http://129.79.148.32/cc/ccradioform.html

Another interesting link I got from a google search:

http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2003/msg01856.html

Nathan Maier
September 27th 03, 01:17 AM
Couldn't we ask them to throw plastic bottles and request that they drink
all the contents first?
-Nate

Dennis P. Harris
September 27th 03, 08:07 AM
On 26 Sep 2003 09:14:18 -0700 in rec.bicycles.soc,
(Karen M.) wrote:

> To write to Mark Mays, president and COO of Clear Channel
> Communications, use MarkPMays@c...
DON'T BOTHER. They aren't listening.

FLOOD THEIR ADVERTIZERS WITH LETTERS THREATENING A BOYCOTT, AND
MAKE YOUR CRUSADE PUBLIC. Issue press releases announcing your
boycott, naming the advertisers that support this illegal and
criminal behavior.

WRITE TO THE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEES IN CHARGE OF THE FCC.
Especially, write to Senator John McCain, who is already ****ed
as hell at Clear Channel about the way they treated the Dixie
Chicks.

Don't bother complaining to the station unless you're a big
advertiser.

Burr
September 27th 03, 03:23 PM
If you would please post the name and email address of the
companines adv. on the station I would be glad to write.
ALSO please send the email address of the local papers.

If you help then lets get it on!!!

Burr

grasshopperNC wrote:

> G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
> row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
> can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
> all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
> bottles at our heads!!
>

> --

Raptor
September 27th 03, 04:52 PM
Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2003 09:14:18 -0700 in rec.bicycles.soc,
> (Karen M.) wrote:
>

>>To write to Mark Mays, president and COO of Clear Channel
>>Communications, use MarkPMays@c...
>
> DON'T BOTHER. They aren't listening.
>
> FLOOD THEIR ADVERTIZERS WITH LETTERS THREATENING A BOYCOTT, AND
> MAKE YOUR CRUSADE PUBLIC. Issue press releases announcing your
> boycott, naming the advertisers that support this illegal and
> criminal behavior.
>
> WRITE TO THE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEES IN CHARGE OF THE FCC.
> Especially, write to Senator John McCain, who is already ****ed
> as hell at Clear Channel about the way they treated the Dixie
> Chicks.
>
> Don't bother complaining to the station unless you're a big
> advertiser.

It's a lot simpler than that. Go to the source: the dj's.

I promise that if I hear a local dj doing this kind of thing, I WILL
find them, I WILL publicize their personal information (address &
family), and I WILL make sure they know about it, and I WILL invite
competing media. I might even get the local Critical Mass (or an ad hoc
equivalent) to pay them a little personal visit. Or fifty.

I ride the roads, and have done so safely for decades. Such tactics are
very close to personal assaults on my safety. So let's keep it personal.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Karen M.
September 28th 03, 12:20 AM
Mitch asks:
> Is this referring to separate attacks by DJs at the three stations,
> or is it from one taped morning show played at several Clear Channel
> stations?

Three different incidents. Cleveland was in June (right,
CrankMailers?), Texas (I think Dallas or Houston) was in August, now
Raleigh NC was last week.

Here are some e-dresses from the CrankMail list.
--Karen M.

Station General Manager Ken Spitzer:

Operations Manager Chris Shebel:

Programming Director Chris Edge:

Federal Communications Commission Enforcement Bureau

Clear Channel Director of Public Relations

CEO of Clear Channel

Chairman of FCC

Other high ranking FCC email addresses:
; ; ; ;

Steven Goodridge
September 28th 03, 01:26 AM
Mitch Haley > wrote in message >...

> Is this referring to separate attacks by DJs at the three stations,
> or is it from one taped morning show played at several Clear Channel
> stations?

It is at least two, if not three, different local DJs.

I personally don't think it is a conspiracy - just a corporate-wide
habit of very poor taste and irresponsibility.

Steve Goodridge

Tom
October 1st 03, 05:23 PM
It looks like the G105 shenanigans in Raleigh are getting some
publicity. Here's a link to a story about it in the Raleigh News &
Observer:

http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html

Tom

Burr
October 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
I just sent a copy of this story to:

Mike Powell, FCC Chairman,
Vince Richards, KLOL program manager,

John Hogan, CEO, Clear Channel Radio,
Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications,

Lets see what we can do to bring them down, we need all of
the USofA behind us. Lets get stories in the local papers.
I'm going after the LA Times and the Ridgecrest paper now.

Burr

Tom wrote:

> It looks like the G105 shenanigans in Raleigh are getting some
> publicity. Here's a link to a story about it in the Raleigh News &
> Observer:
>
> http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html
>
> Tom

Daniel Gatti
October 2nd 03, 01:05 AM
Burr wrote:
> I just sent a copy of this story to:
>
> Mike Powell, FCC Chairman,
> Vince Richards, KLOL program manager,
> John Hogan, CEO, Clear Channel Radio,
> Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications,
>

> Lets see what we can do to bring them down, we need all of the USofA
> behind us. Lets get stories in the local papers.
> I'm going after the LA Times and the Ridgecrest paper now.
>
> Burr
>
> Tom wrote:
>
>> It looks like the G105 shenanigans in Raleigh are getting some
>> publicity. Here's a link to a story about it in the Raleigh News &
>> Observer:
>>
>> http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html
>>
>> Tom

Please do contact the parties mentioned at:

http://www.trianglemtb.com/pages/projects/g105.html

If you can, broadcast this information far and wide. It would be great
if they get letters from folks from all over the country.

Good news! A local Ford dealership has pulled it's sponsorship of the
G105 morning show as a result of the broadcast. See:

http://www.capitalford.com/news.html

Burr
October 2nd 03, 01:15 AM
I just wrote two local papers, The LA Times and the
Ridgecrest paper, hope they pick it up and run (cycle) with it!!

OK, Lets see what some others can do with it, lets get it going.

Burr

Daniel Gatti wrote:

> Burr wrote:
>
>> I just sent a copy of this story to:
>>
>> Mike Powell, FCC Chairman,
>> Vince Richards, KLOL program manager,
>> John Hogan, CEO, Clear Channel Radio,
>> Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications,
>>

>> Lets see what we can do to bring them down, we need all of the
>> USofA behind us. Lets get stories in the local papers.
>> I'm going after the LA Times and the Ridgecrest paper now.
>>
>> Burr
>>
>> Tom wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like the G105 shenanigans in Raleigh are getting some
>>> publicity. Here's a link to a story about it in the Raleigh News &
>>> Observer:
>>>
>>> http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

> Please do contact the parties mentioned at:
>
> http://www.trianglemtb.com/pages/projects/g105.html
>
> If you can, broadcast this information far and wide. It would be great
> if they get letters from folks from all over the country.
>
> Good news! A local Ford dealership has pulled it's sponsorship of the
> G105 morning show as a result of the broadcast. See:
>
> http://www.capitalford.com/news.html

Burr
October 2nd 03, 01:41 AM
I just sent a letter to the WSJ asking for their help also.

Burr

ThreeLeggedDog
October 2nd 03, 04:13 AM
I'm writing letters complaining to the radio stations but I have a
problem with this crap as well:

"After running Smith off the road, the driver stopped, chased him down
on foot and struck him with a hatchet, sending him into a ditch and
over the handlebars of his wrecked bike. Marvin Glenn Manring of
Orange County pleaded guilty in July 2001 to assault with a deadly
weapon. He promised to enroll in an anger management program."

http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html

Burr
October 2nd 03, 04:35 AM
YUP, I thought about that, wonder what the true story is!!!

ThreeLeggedDog wrote:

> I'm writing letters complaining to the radio stations but I have a
> problem with this crap as well:
>
> "After running Smith off the road, the driver stopped, chased him down
> on foot and struck him with a hatchet, sending him into a ditch and
> over the handlebars of his wrecked bike. Marvin Glenn Manring of
> Orange County pleaded guilty in July 2001 to assault with a deadly
> weapon. He promised to enroll in an anger management program."
>
> http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

Mitch Haley
October 2nd 03, 04:55 AM
ThreeLeggedDog wrote:

> I'm writing letters complaining to the radio stations but I have a
> problem with this crap as well:

That one left me wondering if I could plea out to assaulting the
judge with a hatchet and get off with an anger management course.
Probably not.

Mitch.

ThreeLeggedDog
October 2nd 03, 05:32 AM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 03:35:49 GMT, Burr >
wrote:

>YUP, I thought about that, wonder what the true story is!!!
>
>ThreeLeggedDog wrote:
>
>> I'm writing letters complaining to the radio stations but I have a
>> problem with this crap as well:
>>
>> "After running Smith off the road, the driver stopped, chased him down
>> on foot and struck him with a hatchet, sending him into a ditch and
>> over the handlebars of his wrecked bike. Marvin Glenn Manring of
>> Orange County pleaded guilty in July 2001 to assault with a deadly
>> weapon. He promised to enroll in an anger management program."
>>
>> http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2911528p-2677916c.html

Apparently someone else did as well:

http://www.bclu.org/stories/abuse_reports/abuse-20010815.html

Karen M.
October 2nd 03, 05:01 PM
Here's a message from posted to another list of
mine.
--Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Gee, LOOK, a wacky radio stunt goes awry & a radio producer pleads
guilty to a crime....

=====
Man in Cathedral-Sex Radio Stunt Dies
Lawyer Says Brian Florence Suffered Heart Attack
By SAMUEL MAULL, AP

NEW YORK (Sept. 30) - A man who was to appear in court Tuesday on
charges of having sex with his girlfriend inside St. Patrick's
Cathedral as part of a radio show stunt has died at his home in
Virginia, his lawyer said.
Brian Florence, 38, died last Thursday of a heart attack in
Alexandria, said the couple's lawyer, Maranda Fritz. She said the
funeral was Monday, and his co-defendant and girlfriend, Loretta Lynn
Harper, 36, is "still in a state of shock."
The judge adjourned the case until Nov. 6. Fritz said her clients had
expected to plead guilty to a minor charge and not receive any jail
time.

A third man involved in the case, radio producer Paul Mercurio, 43,
pleaded guilty earlier in the day to disorderly conduct. The judge
ordered him to perform seven days of community service.
Authorities said a police officer was listening to the "Opie and
Anthony Show" in August 2002 when he heard Mercurio say on the air
that he was speaking on a cell phone while watching the couple in the
cathedral. The officer arrested Florence and Harper shortly afterward
in a vestibule a few feet from worshippers.
The stunt had been part of a regular feature in which couples could
win prizes for having sex in public places.The couple's alleged antics
inside the landmark cathedral resulted in WNEW-FM firing DJs Greg
"Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia. 09/30/03 23:41 EDT

==============

Steven M. Magas
Olivas & Magas
Attorneys At Law
6926 Main Street
PO Box 44268
Cincinnati, OH 45244-0268

Karen M.
October 2nd 03, 05:09 PM
A canned reply and an attorney's viewpoint.
--Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Bob and Madison morning
show broadcasts on G105.

> Our morning show includes a good deal of animated banter, between callers and
on-air personalities, that can be both humorous and caustic. The
intention is always
to entertain our listeners. During a couple of shows this week, time
was spent by
callers and on-air personalities discussing driving and cyclists.
During this discussion,
comments were made which at the time we felt were humorous in nature.
In retrospect
we feel that the some of the comments were inappropriate, and for that
we sincerely
apologize.

> Be assured that G105 does not advocate harm to cyclists. Again, thank you for
your message and please feel free to write
> or phone me in the event I can be of service.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ken Spitzer
> Regional Vice President
> G105-FM Radio
> Phone: 919-878-1500
=============

Mr. Spitzer

Thank you for the response, albeit in a form-letter-like fashion.

Bicyclists take their right to the roads very seriously. They take
personal threats of harm VERY seriously. Even a slight accidental
nudge from a passing motorist can kill a cyclist - dodging a Yoohoo
bottle, or getting hit with one, can cause a cyclist to crash or
swerve into oncoming traffic...applying the brakes too rapidly to
avoid stuff thrown from cars can lead to a head-over-handlebars tumble
when the laws of physics take over. This normally means a serious
shoulder injury, hand injury or head injury. I can tell you, as an
attorney who has handled 60+ "Bike Cases" in Ohio, Florida, Virginia,
New Jersey and Kentucky, cyclists lose EVERY encounter with motor
vehicles!

Your station's comments went WAY beyond humor and advocated violence
against cyclists simply because they are legally using the roads.
Cyclists have the right to ride on most roads in every state in the
country. Cyclists who ride on the road are, for the most part,
responsible riders who try to avoid encounters with negligent
motorists. When motorists become intentionally threatening, the risk
of harm rises to the Life-Or-Death stage. Please do more than
apologize to cyclists and take some action here... sponsor safe
cycling events, get helmets to kids, help out your local cycling club,
get involved in cycling advocacy. Put some money where your apology
is! You can check with your Clear Channel brethren in Cleveland and
Houston, who also briefly felt advocating violence against cyclists
was funny, for some ideas.

I thank you and am,

Very truly yours,

Steven M. Magas

=========

STEVEN M. MAGAS
Attorney At Law
Olivas & Magas
P.O. Box 44268
Cincininati, OH 45244-0268

513-484-BIKE

"Fighting for the rights of cyclists..."

Karen M.
October 2nd 03, 05:11 PM
More correspondence from .
--Karen M.

[sent to Clear Channel PR dept]

Below is an email report of recent Clear Channel comments in three
separate venues in which DJ's felt there was some humor in encouraging
illegal assaults on bicyclists. These illegal assaults included
throwing objects out of cars at bicycle operators, shooting pellet
guns at cyclists and running cyclists off the road.

Clear Channel must be put on notice that these activities can each
lead to catastrophic injuries or death. Cyclists have the legal RIGHT
to be on the road in all 50 states. The fabric of "traffic" is wide
and colorful... it includes far more than cars and trucks and busses.

Clear Channel has, in three separate venues, chosen not just to attack
the right of cyclists to be on the road but advocate, humorously or
not, terrorist tactics of physically attacking cyclists for exercising
their right to ride. Clear Channel can be held liable to injured
cyclists for compensatory damages and, arguably, for punitive damages.
Further, such action by Clear Channel stations puts the Clear Channel
at risk with the FCC as cyclists around the country are beginning to
hear tales of Clear Channel's antics... my understanding is that
thousands of cyclists emailed the Cleveland station after its DJ's
found humor in encouraging listeners to physically attack cyclists.

There are over 100 MILLION cyclists in this country, most of whom
NEVER venture out on the roadways because of a fear of being injured
by a NEGLIGENT motorist. To have a huge media giant advocating
INTENTIONAL misconduct toward cyclists is incredibly stupid, careless
and potentially catastrophically damaging for the cyclist and
financially damaging to Clear Channel. I hope Clear Channel will, at
a national level, take legitimate steps to curb this behavior and
encourage cycling safety.

I have represented more than 60 cyclists in "bike cases" ranging from
$50 traffic tickets to seven figure brain damage and death cases. I
can tell you this... Cyclists lose EVERY battle with motor vehicles.
I have never had a case where a motorist was injured in an encounter
with a cyclist, but close to 1000 cyclists die each year from injuries
sustained while riding their bikes...

Steve Magas
Steven M. Magas

Olivas & Magas
Attorneys At Law
6926 Main Street
PO Box 44268
Cincinnati, OH 45244-0268

Karen M.
October 2nd 03, 08:52 PM
Dennis wrote:
> FLOOD THEIR ADVERTIZERS WITH LETTERS THREATENING A BOYCOTT, AND
> MAKE YOUR CRUSADE PUBLIC. Issue press releases announcing your
> boycott, naming the advertisers that support this illegal and
> criminal behavior.
>
> WRITE TO THE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEES IN CHARGE OF THE FCC.
> Especially, write to Senator John McCain, who is already ****ed
> as hell at Clear Channel about the way they treated the Dixie
> Chicks.
>
> Don't bother complaining to the station unless you're a big
> advertiser.

'Nuther letter from bikelawyer, this one to Capital Ford, who withdrew
their radio station sponsorship thanks to this incident.
--Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to thank you for your brave, and very public stance against the
behavior
of the DJ's on your local Clear Channel station
[http://www.capitalford.com/news.html].
You may well be aware that this is the third Clear Channel station to
broadcast
programming that, humorously or not, encouraged motorists to take
violent actions against cyclists. During the past few months Clear
Channel radio stations in Cleveland and Houston also engaged in
similar antics.

By law, bicycle operators are legally permitted to ride on virtually
any road in the country. Despite the fact that there are probably 100
million bicycle operators in the country, relatively few venture out
onto the roadways due to fears about negligent motorists. When a
public media giant takes to the airwaves encouraging INTENTIONAL and
criminal misconduct against cyclists, we tend to get upset!
Approximately one third of my practice consists of representing
injured cyclists, and I can assure you a cyclist loses EVERY battle
with a motor vehicle!

I am forwarding this email to the League of American Bicyclists, Clear
Channel, and other supporters of cycling to let them know that at
least one major player has agreed to take a financial and ethical
stand against this misuse of the public airwaves.

It may seem odd for an Ohio lawyer to be involved in a local NC
matter, but cyclists all over the country are outraged at the
misbehavior of these Clear Channel stations. The Cleveland situation
generated responses from thousands of cyclists and the Houston
situation continued to cause many many cyclists to take action. The NC
station's antics are identical - suggesting that it would appropriate
to injure or run over bicycle operators in order to get them off the
road. Pulling your advertising from the show is an appropriate way to
say "I Won't Support This Misbehavior."

Again, I thank you for supporting transporation cycling and am,

Very truly yours,

Steven M. Magas
Attorney At Law

513-484-BIKE - cell
513-624-7744 - office
513-624-7795 - fax

"Fighting For The Rights of Cyclists..."

Tom
October 3rd 03, 01:12 PM
Well it looks like the outrage in Raleigh has paid off. Some G105
advertisers have pulled their sponsorship, and the station has
suspended its morning show. They've also agreed to air public service
announcements. Here's a followup story from the Raleigh New &
Observer:

http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/2918230p-2681951c.html

Tom

Google