PDA

View Full Version : son want a unicycle, dad lost...

J_D
April 9th 06, 07:53 PM
My 9 year old boy want a unicyle for his 10th birthday. I have no idea
about the size or type to get. His inseam is 28 inches and he weights
around 105 pounds. Would like any information on what is a good brand
to purchase and size.

Thanks

JD

--
J_D
J_D's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11983

musketman
April 9th 06, 08:07 PM
well, you could get him a torker lx, or torker dx if he's going to be
doing any mountain unicycling. There is a bunch to chose from if you go
www.unicycle.com

pretty much any uni is good for a learner unicycle. If you think he
will get serious right away then get something a little better, like i
said a torker dx, and probably 20". It has a splined hub, that wont
break,and is a really good uni for the money.

this is the torker, that will be good for awhile

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=764

this is a good learner uni

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=744

This is another good learner uni

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634

hope this helps

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

dorfman
April 9th 06, 08:14 PM
i vote 2 go for the torker lx or dx depending how much you want 2 spend
becouse learning how 2 unicycle some times gives the unicycle a
beating...and you dont want 2 spend a ton of money on somthing your kid
might not like...so i say get him a cheaper one and if he really gets
into it get him a nice one down the road...i think thats the best rout

--
dorfman

I BROKE MY FIBULA!
my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
i am Amandas NO.2 fan!
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

mornish
April 9th 06, 08:28 PM
Id go for the LX as a learning uni.

Miles

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

johnfoss
April 9th 06, 08:30 PM
Some bike shops are well equipped to sell you the proper unicycle for
your needs. But most aren't, and can only sell you what they have, with
little or no information about what to do with it. The Torker advice is
great for beginners, or have a look at unicycle.com to see what else is
out there. Read this section for more info on the various unicycle
types:
http://www.unicycle.com/Education.asp

You can also call 1-800-UNICYCLE if you have more specific questions,
and then order right over the phone.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

Chrashing
April 9th 06, 08:36 PM
Your fine dad J_D!

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicycle enthusiast... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Wheel Rider
April 9th 06, 08:46 PM
As others have said, the Torker LX is a good unicycle. It should last
your son a while and they are relatively inexpensive. Get a 20 inch
wheel.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Klaas Bil
April 10th 06, 06:42 AM
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:53:01 -0500, J_D wrote:

>My 9 year old boy want a unicyle for his 10th birthday. I have no idea
>about the size or type to get.

I agree to the Torker LX advice, but I think most cheap unicycles are
OK for learning. And indeed 20" is absolutely the best wheel size for
a 10 year old. Seat post length doesn't really matter. I can hardly
imagine it would be too short for a 10-year-old, and if it's too long
it can be cut down.

Take a look at some more beginners advice on
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm .

I bought a 20" unicycle for the 11th birthday of my daughter. That was
6 years ago though.

tomblackwood
April 10th 06, 07:01 AM
J_D wrote:
> My 9 year old boy want a unicyle for his 10th birthday. I have no idea
> about the size or type to get. JD

Good for your son JD! I hope this is the start of a lifetime sport for
him.

The advice above is all good. My son learned when he was 8, and we made
the mistake of buying a 16" uni for him to start on. He outgrew it and
was ready to move to a 20" within a few months. He's now 12, and is
still going strong on that 20", although I see him in a 24 by Christmas
time.

Riding uni with your kid is a BLAST. If you don't ride, you should
consider learning. I was crowding 40 when I took it up, and it's led to
some really great father/son experiences. 'Here'
(http://tinyurl.com/r6g92) is a picture of me and my son--he was 10 at
the time--getting ready for a ride in the woods, and 'another'
(http://tinyurl.com/fn5rm) of Miles at age 10 as he was first learning
his off-road riding skills. In both shots, he's on a 20" uni.

Good luck!

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

markf
April 10th 06, 07:50 AM
as a bike shop employee, i can say the most (incl. us) don't have too
much on hand, but can get stuff, particularly torker and sun fairly
easily. i'd also second the advice for the 20in torker lx. cheap (but
not too cheap) and has the best seat of any "learner" unicycle.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102