PDA

View Full Version : iMovie Help, any tips desperately needed

KlownLife
April 9th 06, 08:14 PM
I didnt really know where to put this thread so I put it here as I
figured it would get most exposure.
My latest film, all edited and finished, has been made on iMovie, a
program I know little about. I am having difficulties taking the film
off the iBook I am using and putting it onto my normal computer.
Does anyone have any advice on how I could do this?
I want my video to be out by tomorrow so the more help I get the
quicker you all get to see it,

'preciate any help that can be given,

Jas

--
KlownLife

"The Unicycle world is my religion, more than a society phenomenon : my
urban culture. " - -Adrien Mainand-
KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

johnfoss
April 9th 06, 08:27 PM
SUBJECT POLICE:
Yes, the topic is not really unicycling, so this should go in the Just
Conversation forum. There are technical discussions like this in there
all the time.

What kind of file are you trying to move? First make sure it's
something Windows can read. Beyond that, it's just a file. Burn to a CD
or DVD, send it to an FTP site, copy it to a thumb drive or an external
hard drive, or otherwise provide more information if none of those fits
the situation.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

KlownLife
April 9th 06, 08:54 PM
as I have little experience forgive me if this doesn't make sense.
I believe its a quicktime file, which my computer can read. I tried
putting it on a pen drive, but when I try and upload it to my computer
it comes up with a message saying that an item is missing or something
of that sort. I would try and burn it to CD but I have no idea how to
on a Mac.

Thanks John, and sorry for the misplaced thread, it is alittle bit
unicycle related as my vid is a uni vid, but I won't argue with the
fact that this probably should be somewhere else.

Anymore advice would be great,
Jas

--
KlownLife

"The Unicycle world is my religion, more than a society phenomenon : my
urban culture. " - -Adrien Mainand-
KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

briguymaine
April 10th 06, 10:01 PM
To get it out of iMovie and ready for CD or web:

Choose File and then Share (about half way down the menu). A box will
appear with options, choose Quicktime (the blue Q) and then choose
CD-Rom from the pull down menu. (I'd recommend doing a web version
while you are at it.) Then click the Share button and save it in your
Movies folder. It will take iMovie a few miuntes to compress the but
then you will have a movie ready to view in your Movies folder.

So now the video is a standard Quicktime file, viewable on any computer
with Quicktime installed (Win or Mac). You should be able to burn it to
CD or upload it to websites with no issues. If you do have issues,
write down the error message and post it, maybe I or someone else can
help you with it.

Good luck!

--
briguymaine

Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

nbrazzi
April 11th 06, 02:36 AM
briguymaine, you are correct if we are talking about imovie 5 or
earlier. For the current version, iMovie 6, there is a seprate "share"
menu with lots of options. Under the "share" menu, you will find an
option for Quicktime.

I recommend compressing for web if you plan to post it on the web, of
course. However, you want to keep a high quality archive of your work.
So, I would recommend exporting a Quicktime at the "Full Quality"
preset as well. If you need something other than Quicktime, use
"expert settings" to choose your own settings - but only do this if you
feel comfortable with all the settings and choices you see there. AVI
is a little more friendly on windows machines than Quicktime.
Quicktime player is a free download, but AVI plays native (unless you
screw around with which CODEC is used).

The "high quality" file will be very large. In some cases its almost
as big as your iMovie project package. So, you might just keep a
backup of your project instead. Another option is to share to "Video
Camera" and just dub it back to tape and keep that as an archive.

--
nbrazzi

Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

-Carl Sagan
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home