PDA

View Full Version : Unsure which Uni to buy (options listed)

chromizone
April 10th 06, 02:12 AM
here are my options, opinions welcome.
Oh and I mostly intend on using at as a learning Uni with maybe a few
jumps thrown in, nothing too insanely hardcore but I'd like to be able
to do some small drops with it ( 1-3 feet etc )

1) Brand new Norco Uni in either 20" or 24" both $140.00 new from a
local retailer

2) Used Norco (less then a year old) 20" with a bedford seat and custom
paint job (If I'm not mistaken) from a fellow board member. $100-$125
(undecided)

3) keep surfing online untill I find a cheap Torker LX or something,
but this will most likely be more expensive once shipped because of
duty etc.

Thougts? Comments? Are the Norco a solid started Uni or should I be
looking for something else?

Thanks guys.

-Chromy

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Eroick
April 10th 06, 02:35 AM
ok, first what kind of norco is the norco? does it have a wide tire or a
small tire? does it have lollypop bearing holders (they look kind of
like lollypops and they have no bolts on the bottom of them) or normal
ones (bolts on bottom). Bearing holders are what hold the frame to the
hub, by the way. Same questions go for the used one except there are
some new issues. Is it rusted alot? Is there any serious damage? Next,
what do you want to do? If it is the trials Norco that I think it is,
it would be good for starting trials after you learn to ride. I dont
really recomend ordering it if you are just going to be looking for a
Torker LX.

Good luck in choosing. Remeber that unicycles are not too complicated
and can be upgraded!

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

chromizone
April 10th 06, 02:38 AM
I dont have any info on the new Norco's because my retailer had none in
stock at the moment, however the used Norco has a 2.1 tire (upgraded
from a 1.75 I believe) and I think I'd want to try and get into trials
a little, that seems like where the fun is. From what I know the used
Norco is in good shape and has been taken care of, is it looking like
the best candidate?

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

ntappin
April 10th 06, 02:41 AM
I would go with the norco from your local bike shop. They have a great
seat that is totaly worth the extra money and its good to get something
from in Canada.

Also ask the bike shop if they can get ahold of any norco muni's, they
are a trials uni but norco calls them a muni. They cost a fair amount
more but are way worth it.

--
ntappin

chromizone
April 10th 06, 02:43 AM
The Used Norco is also local, so no shipping or duty costs there. and
it's got a bedford seat, is that much of an improvement from the
standard seat?

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Eroick
April 10th 06, 02:46 AM
Ok, i think this is the same norco that ntappin had. Until it got the
new tire, hub, cranks, seat :P. Its a good starter uni no doubt. For
the price it is probably the best you can get in canada. Also, if you
get into more serious trials, you could always put a splined hub on (or
have an LBS do it for you). Unless you want to save a few bucks and get
that older one, go for the new norco. If the old one is like my old
one, it sucks. But if the new norco is like ntappin's, its decent.

Bedford seats are decent for learning from what I hear. Confortable
enough. I think that both seats are probably just about equal for
learning.

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

chromizone
April 10th 06, 02:51 AM
It's actually Trials_uni's old uni, so you can see the model and pics he
has of it inhis member section that might clairify what
model/year/condition it's in.

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Eroick
April 10th 06, 02:53 AM
blow the extra $40 and get the new norco. If it is what I think it is,
its worth it. Do you know what kind of tire is on the new norco?

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

chromizone
April 10th 06, 02:57 AM
unfortunetly I dont. the guy at my LBS said to check their site, but
when I did I found nothing about Uni's only standard bike info, I'm
gonna do some more digging yet though. Oh and he also said they had a
more "Heavy Duty" model for $160.00 no idea what "Heavy Duty" entails,
thoughts?

--
chromizone
chromizone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11976

Eroick
April 10th 06, 03:05 AM
Look at the bottom of this page: http://tinyurl.com/pu9tv

The heavy duty and the non-heavy duty are there. If it is only $160,
BUY THE HEAVY DUTY! I cant stress that enough. The heavy duty will last
much longer and is much better. You could also take the frame and use a
new wheel set, so when you want something better, you can get it. That
one should stand up to 1-2 foot drops to half, depending on your
weight.

Do you understand the different kinds of hubs? Cottered, Cotterless and
splined?

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

trials_uni
April 10th 06, 03:12 AM
yeah if the heavy duty is the one im thinking of it is well worth the
moeny for that one...if you dont want mine i can sell it to someone
else!.
the pic below is of the two norco unis i have owned in my time. the one
on the left is the generic 20"(the one i am currently selling) but mine
is red. and the one on the right is the morco m-uni(its more of a
trials) and its the heavier duty of the two..it can take a bit more
abuse and it a great starter for trials.

-Phil

|Filename: norco trials vs generic.JPG |

trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home