PDA

View Full Version : Playlists

Todd Lerfondler
April 10th 06, 09:02 PM
Curious...

What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?

--Todd

Ed Pirrero
April 10th 06, 09:13 PM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?

When I ride on the trail, I prefer not to be distracted by any other
music than knobbies on dirt. In addition, the trails around here don't
have very good sightlines, and I need to pay attention to other trail
users.

I've always felt that music on the trail defeats the primary purpose of
going out away from people and machines.

My $0.02

E.P.

JD
April 10th 06, 09:38 PM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

This song called, "I feel sorry for people who feel the need to tune
out the sounds of a ride". I can email you a wav file of it if you
want me to.

JD

G.T.
April 10th 06, 10:39 PM
"Todd Lerfondler" > wrote in message
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?

What's an mp3 player?

Greg

Paladin
April 10th 06, 10:44 PM
"Todd Lerfondler" > wrote in message
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd
Nothing. On multi-use trails, and at occasionally high speeds, it's too
dangerous to be distracted by ear plugs of any kind.

But when I do listen, I like the music that sounds like rubber on granite,
or an old guy wheezing up a hill, or the old Simon & Garfunkle sounds that
come from a well tuned bike, the Sound of Silence.

CDB

dardruba
April 11th 06, 12:09 AM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?

My riding is mostly on boring wilderness trails in Scotland with one or two overnights say, by a bubbling mountain stream somewhere. I take a player for the camping and I dont listen when riding, as I want to savour the new playlist that night, except when I'm tired and weary on the last day on the way back to the car. Thats when LedZep, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc sound so exciting - all over again.
Mike

Shawn
April 11th 06, 12:27 AM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?

As you've no doubt figured out, most of us don't listen to tunes on the
trail. On the spinner (indoor trainer), I like "Operate", and
"Tombstone, Baby" by Peaches. Great for slow out of the saddle grinds,
"Walkie Ralkie Man" by Stereogram for a frenetic spin, and, of course
"I'm Fat" by Weird Al, among about a hundred other songs.

Shawn

Marty
April 11th 06, 12:37 AM
"Todd Lerfondler" > wrote in message
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

I don't know.... I never asked it.

I don't do music when I ride. I make it. Wind, leaves, tires on the trail,
my agonized
wheezing.............

Marty

Scott Gordo
April 11th 06, 12:52 AM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

When the newsgroup was asked what kinds of headphones are best for bike
riding, a very wise man once replied:

"Get those huge 70's-style headphones.
And then stuff them up your ass. "

/s

Wherefore art though, CC?

star13
April 11th 06, 01:53 AM
dardruba wrote:
> Todd Lerfondler wrote:
>> Curious...
>> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> My riding is mostly on boring wilderness trails in Scotland with one or
> two overnights say, by a bubbling mountain stream somewhere. I take a
> player for the camping and I dont listen when riding, as I want to
> savour the new playlist that night, except when I'm tired and weary on
> the last day on the way back to the car. Thats when LedZep, Genesis,
> Pink Floyd etc sound so exciting - all over again.
> Mike

I've had an mp3 player for about a year now, and I've yet to remember to
take it with me when I go out to the forest.

Years ago I often used to take a walkman and a tape or two, because when
you're doing the same long run every day, music seems to block out the
fatigue, I found I made it round the route quicker. Strangely enough,
the three tapes I remember hearing umpteen times are LZ's 'The Song
Remains the Same', Genesis 'Live', and Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the
Moon. Soundgarden and Suicidal Tendencies were the other favourites. It
didn't really matter what the music was, it just drowned out my huffing
& puffing, and pushed me to go faster.

Too much traffic in town to listen to music, but out on the trails I'll
have to listn to a compilation on the iPod sometime soon!

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 11th 06, 04:06 AM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

Death metal followed by bouts of easy listening.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Jason
April 11th 06, 10:36 AM
* Todd Lerfondler >:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

Nothing, I dont wear one it's to damn dangerous.

Jason

Marz
April 11th 06, 11:45 AM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

I have a play list of misc stuff, Reef, SoundGarden( now Audioslave),
Prodigy, Crystal Method, Public Doman and a bunch of Moby, Digweed and
Oakey. For the times I just want to go out and rip it up for an hour or
for times when I'm on the road or down town and listening to music is
preferable to listening to traffic. If I'm in more of a
touring/discovery/easy type mode, which is most of my rides, then all I
want to hear is the rainforest around me.

Laters,

Marz

Paladin
April 11th 06, 04:53 PM
"Todd Lerfondler" > wrote in message
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd
I dont need no technology. Bring it in your head!

http://tinyurl.com/nozgb

CDB

GWood
April 11th 06, 04:57 PM
Not to mention that you can't hear the hiker/biker/dog/whatever you're about
to shmuck when you round the next blind corner.

"Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I've always felt that music on the trail defeats the primary purpose of
> going out away from people and machines.

MattB
April 11th 06, 05:37 PM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

I'll go against the grain here.
Sometimes I listen to music on a certain local ridge top ride (or ski,
depending on the time of year). It has no blind corners, and nothing
taller than a sage brush near the trail. Certain times of year there is
literally nobody else out there. Maybe I'm being reckless, but I don't
think so. I listen at a volume that still allows me to still hear my
skis on the snow or the sound of tires on dirt. I'll also listen to it
on the road sometimes. Not every time, but I like to break up the
monotony on occasion. I also just plug it into my car and listen on the
way to the trails if I'm riding something I can't just ride from the house.

Anyway, to answer the question, I listen to a very wide variety of
stuff. I think right now my 1 GB player has some Mars Volta, Zero 7,
Ursula 1000, NIN, Critters Buggin, Snoop Dogg, Benevento Russo Duo, and
a few other artists I can't think of at the moment. The content changes
regularly but I think that's what I threw on there a few weeks ago for a
XC (ski) slog up the ridge.

Matt (I'm a rebel Dottie, a loner.)

Todd Lerfondler
April 11th 06, 10:07 PM
Point taken....much rather have the sound of my skin grazing the trail when
I miss the stump than Drowning Pool's "Let The Bodies Hit The
Floor"...although the first cut from Moby's Everything Is Wrong CD would be
pretty cool if it were being filmed.

TJ
April 13th 06, 06:08 AM
Bunch a purist...who needs em. BTW. I don't ride with anything in the ears
either.

TJ

Llatikcuf
April 13th 06, 11:22 PM
Todd Lerfondler wrote:
> Curious...
>
> What's going through your mp3 player when you ride?
>
> --Todd

Don't listen to anything while I ride, but when I working on the bikes
I listen to Johhny Cash and Modest Mouse, while drinking poor-boy
margaritas...... I like working on my bikes.

-nate

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home