PDA

View Full Version : Re: exercises for back

Matthew
December 15th 03, 03:06 PM
> wrote in message
news.com...
> can anyone recommend any resources for exercises to strengthen the back to
> prevent low back pain? Thanks.

Haven't seen you post in rec.bicycles.misc but I will not cross-post to so
extensive a group as you did, so I hope you see this.

The classic strength training exercises for low back are stiff-legged
deadlifts or good mornings. I'm not sure if they will prevent low-back pain
however.

I don't have the aptitude to properly describe good form for these exercises
but any physical therapist or even the "moron" certified athletic trainers
you could find at any gym could do so. And I'm sure there is a website
someplace with good pictures, videos, or descriptions of these exercises.

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 15th 03, 06:14 PM
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:06:05 -0700, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>I don't have the aptitude to properly describe good form for these exercises
>but any physical therapist or even the "moron" certified athletic trainers
>you could find at any gym could do so. And I'm sure there is a website
>someplace with good pictures, videos, or descriptions of these exercises.

You can also try sitting on a Swiss ball instead of a chair some of
the time. Or even keeping your back warm with a neoprene back-warmer
while riding ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

psycholist
December 15th 03, 08:41 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> David Kerber wrote:
>
> > strengthing the abdominals is generally considered to be
> > important in preventing chronic lower back pain.
>
> Perhaps this is considered generally, but it is incorrect.

I think this general notion applies to people who have beer guts overhanging
their belts in front. That puts major stress on the back. Getting rid of
the beer gut gets rid of back pain. Not sure it applies to the
flat-bellied.

Bob C.

psycholist
December 15th 03, 08:44 PM
> wrote in message
news.com...
> can anyone recommend any resources for exercises to strengthen the back to
> prevent low back pain? Thanks.

One of my daily exercises is one called the Superman. You lie face down on
the floor, extend your arms and feet as far away from each other as you can,
comfortably. Then you raise them towards the ceiling -- arching your back.
You keep your knees and elbows straight. You should feel it all the way up
and down your back. This one came from some cycling coach. I don't
remember who.

FWIW,
Bob C.

Paul Southworth
December 15th 03, 08:46 PM
In article >,
psycholist > wrote:

>"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>> David Kerber wrote:
>>
>> > strengthing the abdominals is generally considered to be
>> > important in preventing chronic lower back pain.
>>
>> Perhaps this is considered generally, but it is incorrect.
>
>I think this general notion applies to people who have beer guts overhanging
>their belts in front. That puts major stress on the back. Getting rid of
>the beer gut gets rid of back pain. Not sure it applies to the
>flat-bellied.

Riding a bike will get rid of a beer gut a lot faster than
daily ab exercises will.

--Paul

David Kerber
December 15th 03, 08:53 PM
In article >, cnhyf-
says...
> In article >,
> psycholist > wrote:

> >> Perhaps this is considered generally, but it is incorrect.
> >
> >I think this general notion applies to people who have beer guts overhanging
> >their belts in front. That puts major stress on the back. Getting rid of
> >the beer gut gets rid of back pain. Not sure it applies to the
> >flat-bellied.
>
> Riding a bike will get rid of a beer gut a lot faster than
> daily ab exercises will.

The purpose of the ab exercises is to help reduce back pain even with
the gut, not get rid of the beer gut itself. After all, some people
need an aerobelly to get their best cycling results <Grin>.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Sorni
December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
"Paul Southworth" > wrote in message

> Riding a bike will get rid of a beer gut a lot faster than
> daily ab exercises will.

Yes and no. It *will* help with weight-loss, of course, but doesn't do much
to strengthen abs at all. (Mt. biking does a bit more than road, but not a
lot.)

Bill "ever notice how your belly is cold during/after riding? Blood busy
elsewhere" S.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home