PDA

View Full Version : my inseam is 28 inches , so what size mtn bike do i buy?

novice
April 14th 06, 09:59 AM
Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

Ride-A-Lot
April 14th 06, 11:20 AM
novice wrote:
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

How tall are you? Have you gone to the LBS (local bike shop) yet and
tried out a few? Most likely a 15" frame will suit you just fine and
keep the 26" wheels.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Mark Hickey
April 14th 06, 02:14 PM
"novice" > wrote:

>Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
>in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

It depends somewhat on how you're measuring that inseam.

If it's your pants inseam, your "cycling inseam" is probably at least
an inch taller.

Cycling inseam is measured by standing barefoot with your feet 8"
apart. Press a 1" thick book firmly, but not painfully into your
crotch, and measure from the floor to the book.

The most important "fit issue" on any bike isn't the height, but the
"cockpit length" (essentially the distance from the saddle to the
bars). If this isn't right, nothing else matters.

With a 28" inseam, you should try to find a bike with as low a
standover height as possible - there's really no down side to having
more standover clearance, so don't worry too much about getting a bike
that's too short, providing it gives you the proper cockpit length.

Be warned - some manufacturers/builders measure standover height at
the top of the top tube where it joins the seat tube (a place you
can't "stand over" anyway), which effectively understates the
standover height of the bike by half the slope of the top tube. In
general, if two bikes have similar bottom bracket heights, and similar
seat tube lengths, chances are they're going to have pretty similar
standover height (the exception being those that have unusually long
or short forks).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 14th 06, 05:23 PM
novice wrote:
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

Giant makes entry-level mountain bikes as small as 12.5 inches. I have a
similar inseam and ride either a 15" or 17" frame.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

cc
April 14th 06, 05:42 PM
novice wrote:
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

troll go away.

Joe Roach
April 14th 06, 05:55 PM
"novice" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

I'm 5' 6", have a 28.5" inseam and have always had 15.5" or 16" frames. The
cockpit length suits me but the standover is always. Over the years, I've
just had to learn (quickly) to land to the side on the top tube so that the
inside of my thighs takes the impact rather than anywhere else.

novice
April 14th 06, 10:29 PM
I'm 5 foot 9 inches. My inseam is 30 to 31 inches using the book method.

novice
April 14th 06, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. My inseam is aroung 30 to 31
inches using book method.

Mark Hickey
April 15th 06, 01:02 AM
"novice" > wrote:

>Thanks for the comprehensive answer. My inseam is aroung 30 to 31
>inches using book method.

Based on that, it would normally be good if you could maintain a
couple inches of clearance between that 30" point and the top of the
top tube (measured mid-span on the top tube). That's not a hard and
fast rule by any means, but it's nice to have that much (or more...)
clearance when you're riding in rough terrain - often an awkward
dismount will leave you with a lot less clearance than you'd have on
the road.

Again, get the cockpit length (essentially, top tube effective
horizontal plus stem length) right, and then look for a bike that
gives you the standover clearance you need (or want).

Then go ride!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Raptor
April 15th 06, 05:14 AM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> The most important "fit issue" on any bike isn't the height, but the
> "cockpit length" (essentially the distance from the saddle to the
> bars). If this isn't right, nothing else matters.

Don't you mean the "second most important?" Too short on the height
(saddle to pedals) and you're asking for trouble ranging from RMI to
simply being unable to pedal.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Llatikcuf
April 15th 06, 05:59 AM
novice wrote:
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

I thought you rode 500 miles a week without getting tired, what size is
that bike?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/9003c1619378cd4c/96be0ff06fe36393?q=novice&rnum=6#96be0ff06fe36393

-nate

novice
April 15th 06, 07:56 AM
that is hundred dollar bike. i bought 429 dollar bike today . it weighs
exactly the same as my old bike and is too tall for me, again. i bought
iron horse maverick so you can make fun of that.

R B
April 15th 06, 08:06 AM
small frame
"novice" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Is this small? The adult bikes seem to big for me. i gues if i put 24
> in wheels on instead of 26 inch wheels that would help.

Mark Hickey
April 15th 06, 02:47 PM
Raptor > wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> The most important "fit issue" on any bike isn't the height, but the
>> "cockpit length" (essentially the distance from the saddle to the
>> bars). If this isn't right, nothing else matters.
>
>Don't you mean the "second most important?" Too short on the height
>(saddle to pedals) and you're asking for trouble ranging from RMI to
>simply being unable to pedal.

I think it's in the obvious category that it's probably not a good
idea to buy a bike that's so tall you can't reach the pedals. Can't
remember the last time someone brought that up as a problem.

But there are plenty of people out there who are happily riding bikes
that don't allow them any standover clearance (or even negative
standover clearance).

Another way to look at it - if the "cockpit length" is right on a bike
that's "too tall", it'll "fit" perfectly until the rider dismounts.

OTOH, a bike that's the right "height", but doesn't provide the rider
with the right saddle to bar fit, the rider is going to be in the
wrong position every second he or she spends on it.

We all have to make our own choices, but if it came down to riding a
bike that's right horizontally but wrong vertically, or vice versa -
I'll go with the tall bike that fits every time.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 16th 06, 03:33 AM
novice wrote:
> that is hundred dollar bike. i bought 429 dollar bike today . it
> weighs exactly the same as my old bike and is too tall for me, again.
> i bought iron horse maverick so you can make fun of that.

Don't worry man... focus on your duathlon. You've been training hard and
you're mentally and physically exhausted. I heard you'll get flu-like
symptoms from overtraining.

Remember, you have to kill or be killed in the sport.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home