PDA

View Full Version : Rides close to Scottsdale AZ

GWood
April 14th 06, 06:02 PM
Buddy Bill the carpenter is in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks to do a
cabinet install. Talked to him last night - he took his bike and is
jonseing for a ride (Portland area singletrack has been pretty soupy the
past few weekends). Sunday appears to be his nearest window of opp.

He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is without
any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.

Tnx

FWIW, he said it was 90 degrees and blue sky there last night around 6:30...
*sigh*

G.T.
April 14th 06, 06:27 PM
GWood wrote:
> Buddy Bill the carpenter is in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks to do a
> cabinet install. Talked to him last night - he took his bike and is
> jonseing for a ride (Portland area singletrack has been pretty soupy the
> past few weekends). Sunday appears to be his nearest window of opp.
>
> He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
> point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
> that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
> they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is without
> any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.
>
> Tnx
>
> FWIW, he said it was 90 degrees and blue sky there last night around 6:30...
> *sigh*

Can't help with the rides, maybe GDubb will pipe in, but last night it
was 85 degrees here and CRYSTAL CLEAR. Beautiful day. But now it's dark
gray and raining. Boo.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Ride-A-Lot
April 14th 06, 06:33 PM
GWood wrote:
> Buddy Bill the carpenter is in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks to do a
> cabinet install. Talked to him last night - he took his bike and is
> jonseing for a ride (Portland area singletrack has been pretty soupy the
> past few weekends). Sunday appears to be his nearest window of opp.
>
> He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
> point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
> that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
> they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is without
> any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.
>
> Tnx
>
> FWIW, he said it was 90 degrees and blue sky there last night around 6:30...
> *sigh*

The McDowell Mountain race loops or Pima/Dynamite (closest) are nice
non-technical rides. Pima could be a long loop (you could always just
turn around and go back), but you can choose course length at McDowell.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

GeeDubb
April 14th 06, 07:35 PM
"GWood" > wrote in message
> Buddy Bill the carpenter is in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks to do a
> cabinet install. Talked to him last night - he took his bike and is
> jonseing for a ride (Portland area singletrack has been pretty soupy the
> past few weekends). Sunday appears to be his nearest window of opp.
>
> He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
> point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
> that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
> they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is
> without
> any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.
>
> Tnx
>
> FWIW, he said it was 90 degrees and blue sky there last night around
> 6:30...
> *sigh*

Slightly overcast, breezy and currently 85F. Shoot me an email at
grwilliams at qwest dot net and I'll send my phone number. Since I too am a
carpenter, Bill and I should have something in common. Depending on what
part of Snobsdale he's staying at, R-A-L hit it on the nose but there's also
South Mountain and Trail 100 within 45 minutes of just about any place
Snobsdale on an early Saturday am. I know we'll be riding early both
Sat/Sun.

Gary (trying to figure out why, with all the cabinet companies in the PHX
area that they sent him from Portland????)

GWood
April 14th 06, 08:17 PM
Where be "here"?

"G.T." > wrote in message

> Can't help with the rides, maybe GDubb will pipe in, but last night it
> was 85 degrees here and CRYSTAL CLEAR. Beautiful day. But now it's dark
> gray and raining. Boo.
>
> Greg

GeeDubb
April 14th 06, 10:42 PM
"GWood" > wrote in message
> Where be "here"?

Southern California, I'm not gonna be more specific

Gary

> "G.T." > wrote in message
>
>> Can't help with the rides, maybe GDubb will pipe in, but last night it
>> was 85 degrees here and CRYSTAL CLEAR. Beautiful day. But now it's dark
>> gray and raining. Boo.
>>
>> Greg

G.T.
April 15th 06, 12:32 AM
"GWood" > wrote in message
> Where be "here"?

SoCal. Quickest change of weather I've seen in awhile.

> "G.T." > wrote in message
>
> > Can't help with the rides, maybe GDubb will pipe in, but last night it
> > was 85 degrees here and CRYSTAL CLEAR. Beautiful day. But now it's dark
> > gray and raining. Boo.
> >
> > Greg

Mark Hickey
April 15th 06, 01:04 AM
Ride-A-Lot > wrote:

>GWood wrote:
>> He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
>> point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
>> that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
>> they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is without
>> any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.
>>
>The McDowell Mountain race loops or Pima/Dynamite (closest) are nice
>non-technical rides. Pima could be a long loop (you could always just
>turn around and go back), but you can choose course length at McDowell.

Or Desert Classic in South Mountain Park - he'll see a lot of
different terrain without (necessarily...) having to ride most of it.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Dean A. Stepper
April 15th 06, 05:00 AM
"GWood" > wrote in message
> Buddy Bill the carpenter is in Scottsdale for a couple of weeks to do a
> cabinet install. Talked to him last night - he took his bike and is
> jonseing for a ride (Portland area singletrack has been pretty soupy the
> past few weekends). Sunday appears to be his nearest window of opp.
>
> He is way enthusiastic, but has only moderate skills and endurance at this
> point. Can anyone recommend rides within, say, 45 minutes of Scottsdale
> that would be fun and challenging for him, but not death defying? If
> they're something that can be mapquested, so much the better. He is
> without
> any Internet access, but I could call and pass on messages and directions.
>
> Tnx
>
> FWIW, he said it was 90 degrees and blue sky there last night around
> 6:30...
> *sigh*

So many easy nice trails close, and a little farther and you could be in
Sedona. Desert Classic is a good starting point and close.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home