PDA

View Full Version : Found: Yee-ha!, Part 1

Scott Gordo
April 17th 06, 12:02 AM
Just garbage picked a beat up old Kona Yee-Ha "hybrid" frame. It's
probably from around 1999, the paint is chipped off most of the down
tube and replaced with rust, but it doesn't seem to have penetrated too
deeply. There's a very munged-up, low end but seemingly functional
Shimano BB in there, a rear tectro V brake, and headset cups.
Everything else is gone.

It has certainly seem some action, but it leaves me with a bunch of
ideas. As in:

- build back up as a hybrid commuter beater
- foray into 29er territory (though with a fairly skinny rear tire as
there doesn't look to be a whole lotta clearance)
- cyclocross-type bike

Hmmm.... What's in the bin? Sometimes a gift like this winds up being
an expense. This was the frame of an under-$400 bike back in the day.
Doesn't make it bad -- I've got a beater Fire Mountain that has served
me well, is in similar condition, and looks identical to this frame
other than the size. I gotta get a tape measure on this puppy and see
what the rear frame spacing is.

At first I was thinking I'd throw on an old Marz Superfly, but that
probably wouldn't work so well with a 700c MTB tire. I guess I could
pump it up to the point of near lockout, though I'm not looking to
spend money on seals for a fork I've retired.

Suggestions? I'd like to keep this puppy CHEAP. Prolly a single-speed.
I've got some old roadie wheels I could put on.

If this happened to you, what would you build?

/s

Ride-A-Lot
April 17th 06, 12:15 AM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> Just garbage picked a beat up old Kona Yee-Ha "hybrid" frame. It's
> probably from around 1999, the paint is chipped off most of the down
> tube and replaced with rust, but it doesn't seem to have penetrated too
> deeply. There's a very munged-up, low end but seemingly functional
> Shimano BB in there, a rear tectro V brake, and headset cups.
> Everything else is gone.
>
> It has certainly seem some action, but it leaves me with a bunch of
> ideas. As in:
>
> - build back up as a hybrid commuter beater
> - foray into 29er territory (though with a fairly skinny rear tire as
> there doesn't look to be a whole lotta clearance)
> - cyclocross-type bike
>
> Hmmm.... What's in the bin? Sometimes a gift like this winds up being
> an expense. This was the frame of an under-$400 bike back in the day.
> Doesn't make it bad -- I've got a beater Fire Mountain that has served
> me well, is in similar condition, and looks identical to this frame
> other than the size. I gotta get a tape measure on this puppy and see
> what the rear frame spacing is.
>
> At first I was thinking I'd throw on an old Marz Superfly, but that
> probably wouldn't work so well with a 700c MTB tire. I guess I could
> pump it up to the point of near lockout, though I'm not looking to
> spend money on seals for a fork I've retired.
>
> Suggestions? I'd like to keep this puppy CHEAP. Prolly a single-speed.
> I've got some old roadie wheels I could put on.
>
> If this happened to you, what would you build?
>
> /s

Put 26ers on it and jimmy up some sort of canti brakes.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Carla A-G
April 17th 06, 02:23 PM
"Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Suggestions? I'd like to keep this puppy CHEAP. Prolly a single-speed.
> I've got some old roadie wheels I could put on.
>
> If this happened to you, what would you build?

Commuter/beer fetching vehicle.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Google