April 17th 06, 11:49 AM
Time on my hands...

http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

(PeteCresswell)
April 17th 06, 02:07 PM
Per :
>Time on my hands...
>
>http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

In the words of a windsurfing bud who is also an engineer: "Eventually,
everything breaks."
--
PeteCresswell

Sorni
April 17th 06, 03:49 PM
wrote:
> Time on my hands...
>
> http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

Truly humbling.

Bill "worthless hack" S.

JD
April 17th 06, 08:20 PM
wrote:
> Time on my hands...
>
> http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

A great testimonial as to why the trek machine's frames are garbage.

JD

Shawn
April 17th 06, 09:21 PM
JD wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>Time on my hands...
>>
>>http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html
>

> A great testimonial as to why the trek machine's frames are garbage.

I think I'll go look for cracks in my Klein.

Shawn

April 17th 06, 09:33 PM
I dunno. The Fishers were poorly designed junk, but three years for the
Attitude? I'm fairly happy with that. I'm tempted to get a custom
steel frame made to exactly the same geometry - see how it rides and
how long it lasts...

(PeteCresswell)
April 18th 06, 01:36 AM
Per :

>http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

I notice that you have risers/bar ends even on your road bike.

Is this a comfort preference over road bars - or just to avoid buying/fitting a
whole new set of brake handles/shifters/cables?
--
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 18th 06, 02:28 AM
wrote:
> I dunno. The Fishers were poorly designed junk, but three years for
> the Attitude? I'm fairly happy with that. I'm tempted to get a custom
> steel frame made to exactly the same geometry - see how it rides and
> how long it lasts...

It's obvious that you don't value longevity as much as you seem to in your
captions. Why is it that you're frustrated with aluminum frames, and yet
you continue to buy/get warranteed aluminum frames? Do you hate the
"dead"ness of steel that much? (which is a load of crap anyway). It's
almost as if you enjoy breaking things. It's like "run into wall... ow...
that hurt... let's do it again."

Seriously... what is your goal here?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

April 18th 06, 11:49 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> It's obvious that you don't value longevity as much as you seem to in your
> captions. Why is it that you're frustrated with aluminum frames, and yet
> you continue to buy/get warranteed aluminum frames?

I've only bought one aluminium frame. "I bought it <the Trek> after mag
reviews touted it as a good, reliable bike for all day rides." If they
continue to give me new frames for free, I will continue to ride them.
I rode the Klein I was * given* for 3 years (longer than many people
ride a bike before upgrading it) because it was a better ride than the
steel frames I *bought*. No product purchase justification involved, as
I wrote here:

"Initially, less than convinced about its durability, I just used it as
a hacker and singlespeed. However, bits started migrating across from
the P7 as it quickly became clear that the Attitude, for all its design
niggles, was a beautiful ride."

> Do you hate the
> "dead"ness of steel that much? (which is a load of crap anyway).

No. That's why I wrote this:

"what frame will it be? Current favourite, some place down the line, is
a Rohloff equipped Thorn Raven Enduro" i.e. an 853 steel frame.

Is there anything else you're having trouble with?

April 18th 06, 02:15 PM
>http://petejones.fotopic.net/c925679.html

>I notice that you have risers/bar ends even on your road bike.

>Is this a comfort preference over road bars - or just to avoid buying/fitting a
>whole new set of brake handles/shifters/cables?

They're actually flat bars, Pete - comfort, brakes to hand. I tried
flats as an experiment, and ended up ditching the drops and bar end
shifters that came with the bike as stock.

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 18th 06, 07:15 PM
wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>> It's obvious that you don't value longevity as much as you seem to
>> in your captions. Why is it that you're frustrated with aluminum
>> frames, and yet you continue to buy/get warranteed aluminum frames?
>
> I've only bought one aluminium frame. "I bought it <the Trek> after
> mag reviews touted it as a good, reliable bike for all day rides." If
> they continue to give me new frames for free, I will continue to ride
> them.

Then that answers all my questions. I apologize for being a retro-grouch
and looking for products that work without expected failure.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

(PeteCresswell)
April 18th 06, 10:20 PM
Per :
>They're actually flat bars, Pete - comfort, brakes to hand. I tried
>flats as an experiment, and ended up ditching the drops and bar end
>shifters that came with the bike as stock.

I'm probably beating a dead horse here... but just to be sure I've got it right:
You're long term preference is for the flats/bar ends instead of the drops?

The reason I'm obsessing about this is that I've got that setup on both my FS
and the hardtail that I call my "road" bike (when ridden on HP slicks...) and,
personally, I find it quite comfortable - although my longest rides are only
about 3.5 hours.

Right now, if I were to get a dedicated pavement bike (i.e. rigid, road-ier
geometry) I'd have to lean towards doing the mountain bars/bar ends thing just
because it seems "good enough" and because of the comparability advantage.
--
PeteCresswell

April 18th 06, 10:25 PM
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> >They're actually flat bars, Pete - comfort, brakes to hand.
>
> I'm probably beating a dead horse here... but just to be sure I've got it right:
> You're long term preference is for the flats/bar ends instead of the drops?
>
> The reason I'm obsessing about this is that I've got that setup on both my FS
> and the hardtail that I call my "road" bike (when ridden on HP slicks...) and,
> personally, I find it quite comfortable - although my longest rides are only
> about 3.5 hours.
>
> Right now, if I were to get a dedicated pavement bike (i.e. rigid, road-ier
> geometry) I'd have to lean towards doing the mountain bars/bar ends thing just
> because it seems "good enough" and because of the comparability advantage.

'Yes' to all that. It's also good fun when you pass roadies down on
their hoods...

I know the bigger manufacturers are now doing some of their road bikes
with flat bar options - couldn't comment on specific brands/models.

Pete

JD
April 19th 06, 01:39 AM
wrote:
> I dunno. The Fishers were poorly designed junk, but three years for the
> Attitude? I'm fairly happy with that. I'm tempted to get a custom
> steel frame made to exactly the same geometry - see how it rides and
> how long it lasts...

Just think if Gary Klein had never sold out to the trek machine, he
might have some good bikes still.

If you're looking for quality custom steel, drop me a line.

JD

Scott Gordo
April 19th 06, 08:34 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> wrote:
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> >
> >> It's obvious that you don't value longevity as much as you seem to
> >> in your captions. Why is it that you're frustrated with aluminum
> >> frames, and yet you continue to buy/get warranteed aluminum frames?
> >
> > I've only bought one aluminium frame. "I bought it <the Trek> after
> > mag reviews touted it as a good, reliable bike for all day rides." If
> > they continue to give me new frames for free, I will continue to ride
> > them.
>
> Then that answers all my questions. I apologize for being a retro-grouch
> and looking for products that work without expected failure.
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Pardon me for intruding, but "retro-grouch"? Surely you jest. You've
been mtbing for how long? And you've gone riding where? "Retro-grouch"
implies that you've been at this a long time, and that you've seen
trends come and go. You've got a little fleet of late-model Giants,
right?
I'm surprised Tracksterman bothered replying.
Oh yeah, one more thing: your imperious tone may work on customers in
your shop, but it sucks for a person whose opinion is often either
banal or off-base. It gets even funnier when you try and get technical.
Save it for RBT.

Scott

G.T.
April 19th 06, 11:22 PM
"Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > I've only bought one aluminium frame. "I bought it <the Trek> after
> > > mag reviews touted it as a good, reliable bike for all day rides." If
> > > they continue to give me new frames for free, I will continue to ride
> > > them.
> >
> > Then that answers all my questions. I apologize for being a
retro-grouch
> > and looking for products that work without expected failure.
> > --
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> Pardon me for intruding, but "retro-grouch"? Surely you jest. You've
> been mtbing for how long? And you've gone riding where? "Retro-grouch"
> implies that you've been at this a long time, and that you've seen
> trends come and go. You've got a little fleet of late-model Giants,
> right?

Yeah, I laughed when I read that but refrained from calling him on that.

Greg

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 20th 06, 01:47 AM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> I've only bought one aluminium frame. "I bought it <the Trek> after
>>> mag reviews touted it as a good, reliable bike for all day rides."
>>> If they continue to give me new frames for free, I will continue to
>>> ride them.
>>
>> Then that answers all my questions. I apologize for being a
>> retro-grouch and looking for products that work without expected
>> failure. --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> Pardon me for intruding, but "retro-grouch"? Surely you jest.

Yes. That was the point.

> Oh yeah, one more thing: your imperious tone may work on customers in

The tone was one of incredulity. If something doesn't work, why stick with
it? Pay me money and I'll smile and butter you up.

> your shop, but it sucks for a person whose opinion is often either
> banal or off-base. It gets even funnier when you try and get
> technical. Save it for RBT.

Whoosh!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training