PDA

View Full Version : Two recommendations, please?

Mikie
April 18th 06, 02:46 AM
Hi,
I have a men's, 'Schwinn', High Timber', 2.6 FS w/26" wheels. No
racing, no centuries, no jumps, just a little ride every morning or
night for my health.

I want to put a bike rack over the rear tire. I live out with the
coyotes and mountain lions, and all I need is a place to put a
cardboard box on it, for my mail when I pick it up from the rural mail
box, or a few groceries from the local ma and pa store. And when not
shopping, I 'll simply remove the box. I expect a thick rubber band
would hold the box in place on the rack.

Would any bike bike rack fit? Should it probably be aluminum? I'm 79
this year and money is the big issue so I hope they aren't too
expensive.

Also, can some one recommend a rear blinkie that can be attached to
the back of an under seat bag INSTEAD OF the the seat post or seat
stay?

I would be really happy to get some info on both of the above. ThanX!

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ, (Saguaro National Park)

Ride-A-Lot
April 18th 06, 03:09 AM
Mikie wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a men's, 'Schwinn', High Timber', 2.6 FS w/26" wheels. No
> racing, no centuries, no jumps, just a little ride every morning or
> night for my health.
>
> I want to put a bike rack over the rear tire. I live out with the
> coyotes and mountain lions, and all I need is a place to put a
> cardboard box on it, for my mail when I pick it up from the rural mail
> box, or a few groceries from the local ma and pa store. And when not
> shopping, I 'll simply remove the box. I expect a thick rubber band
> would hold the box in place on the rack.
>
> Would any bike bike rack fit? Should it probably be aluminum? I'm 79
> this year and money is the big issue so I hope they aren't too
> expensive.
>
> Also, can some one recommend a rear blinkie that can be attached to
> the back of an under seat bag INSTEAD OF the the seat post or seat
> stay?
>
> I would be really happy to get some info on both of the above. ThanX!
>
> Mike
> Picture Rocks, AZ, (Saguaro National Park)

Wow! 79 and still riding. I can only hope I have that kind of energy.

Because you have an FS, you need a seat post rack like this:

http://tinyurl.com/pfjat

Then you can order one of the slide on trunk bag
(http://tinyurl.com/ohou3), or bungee cord a small container to it.

Keep up the riding, you are an inspiration to us young ones (41).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot
April 18th 06, 03:10 AM
Oh, forgot the blinkie. Most cheap blinkies have a clip for clothing,
bags, etc. Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/g6co8

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 18th 06, 03:33 AM
Mikie wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a men's, 'Schwinn', High Timber', 2.6 FS w/26" wheels. No
> racing, no centuries, no jumps, just a little ride every morning or
> night for my health.
>
> I want to put a bike rack over the rear tire. I live out with the
> coyotes and mountain lions, and all I need is a place to put a
> cardboard box on it, for my mail when I pick it up from the rural mail
> box, or a few groceries from the local ma and pa store. And when not
> shopping, I 'll simply remove the box. I expect a thick rubber band
> would hold the box in place on the rack.

Bungee cord, yes. Do you need to remove it? Bungee cords need to be
tensioned really tight to prevent things from bouncing around. I would
recommend zipties and keep it permanent.

> Would any bike bike rack fit? Should it probably be aluminum? I'm 79
> this year and money is the big issue so I hope they aren't too
> expensive.

Virtually all racks are aluminum. Unless you're planning on carrying more
than 50 lbs, then any rack should do.

> Also, can some one recommend a rear blinkie that can be attached to
> the back of an under seat bag INSTEAD OF the the seat post or seat
> stay?

Any rear blinkie with a clip will clip onto the rear strap of a seat bag.
All seat bags I know of have a strap for this purpose.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 18th 06, 04:18 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Mikie wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a men's, 'Schwinn', High Timber', 2.6 FS w/26" wheels. No
>> racing, no centuries, no jumps, just a little ride every morning or
>> night for my health.
>>
>> I want to put a bike rack over the rear tire. I live out with the
>> coyotes and mountain lions, and all I need is a place to put a
>> cardboard box on it, for my mail when I pick it up from the rural
>> mail box, or a few groceries from the local ma and pa store. And
>> when not shopping, I 'll simply remove the box. I expect a thick
>> rubber band would hold the box in place on the rack.
>
> Bungee cord, yes. Do you need to remove it? Bungee cords need to be
> tensioned really tight to prevent things from bouncing around. I
> would recommend zipties and keep it permanent.
>
>> Would any bike bike rack fit? Should it probably be aluminum? I'm 79
>> this year and money is the big issue so I hope they aren't too
>> expensive.
>
> Virtually all racks are aluminum. Unless you're planning on carrying
> more than 50 lbs, then any rack should do.

Uh, Ride-a-Lot got it right... a seatpost rack is a necessity.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mikie
April 20th 06, 01:18 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > Mikie wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I have a men's, 'Schwinn', High Timber', 2.6 FS w/26" wheels. No
> >> racing, no centuries, no jumps, just a little ride every morning or
> >> night for my health.
> >>
> >> I want to put a bike rack over the rear tire. I live out with the
> >> coyotes and mountain lions, and all I need is a place to put a
> >> cardboard box on it, for my mail when I pick it up from the rural
> >> mail box, or a few groceries from the local ma and pa store. And
> >> when not shopping, I 'll simply remove the box. I expect a thick
> >> rubber band would hold the box in place on the rack.
> >
> > Bungee cord, yes. Do you need to remove it? Bungee cords need to be
> > tensioned really tight to prevent things from bouncing around. I
> > would recommend zipties and keep it permanent.
> >
> >> Would any bike bike rack fit? Should it probably be aluminum? I'm 79
> >> this year and money is the big issue so I hope they aren't too
> >> expensive.
> >
> > Virtually all racks are aluminum. Unless you're planning on carrying
> > more than 50 lbs, then any rack should do.
>
> Uh, Ride-a-Lot got it right... a seatpost rack is a necessity.
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

WOW! Thanks so much for ALL the help and advice!!!! I am absolutely
overwhelmed! Watch me a year from now!
Mike

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home