PDA

View Full Version : Dust Seal Removal Tool(s)?

(PeteCresswell)
April 19th 06, 12:09 AM
Maybe it's the caffeine talking, but it seems to me like there's got to be some
specialized tool available for removing dust seals once all the flange rubber
has been torn away.

I'm looking at the steel ring part of the seal and there's a good sixteenth of
an inch between the inside of that ring and the outside of the fork's tube.

Seems like the SB some sort of specialized pick that's about the right length to
dig into the steel, but is flattened/cushioned on the back so it doesn't damage
the tube. You stick it in, and the lever it to pry the seal ring upwards.

Anybody seen such a thing?

How about some sort of solvent to help break the weld between the seal ring and
stanchions? I'm using Liquid Wrench, but all it's done so far is weaken the
rubber.
--
PeteCresswell

Bob Flumere
April 19th 06, 12:32 AM
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/minute1web_b.pdf

Page #6..

A big screwdriver padded with a rag.. just don't put it in under so
far that you gouge the inside of the shock.
Pry across seal until it cocks and pops out.. The pic above says it
all.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:09:49 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" >
wrote:

>Maybe it's the caffeine talking, but it seems to me like there's got to be some
>specialized tool available for removing dust seals once all the flange rubber
>has been torn away.
>
>I'm looking at the steel ring part of the seal and there's a good sixteenth of
>an inch between the inside of that ring and the outside of the fork's tube.
>
>Seems like the SB some sort of specialized pick that's about the right length to
>dig into the steel, but is flattened/cushioned on the back so it doesn't damage
>the tube. You stick it in, and the lever it to pry the seal ring upwards.
>
>Anybody seen such a thing?
>
>How about some sort of solvent to help break the weld between the seal ring and
>stanchions? I'm using Liquid Wrench, but all it's done so far is weaken the
>rubber.

(PeteCresswell)
April 19th 06, 12:37 AM
Per Bob Flumere:
>http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/minute1web_b.pdf
>
>Page #6..
>
>A big screwdriver padded with a rag.. just don't put it in under so
>far that you gouge the inside of the shock.
>Pry across seal until it cocks and pops out.. The pic above says it
>all.

That's the idea. But with these shocks ('zocchi), the tubes cannot be removed
until the dust seals have been removed - bc the lock ring is located under the
dust seal.

Thanks for the link though - I was wondering what the right term was for the
"garter spring"....
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)
April 19th 06, 12:49 AM
Per (PeteCresswell):
> But with these shocks ('zocchi), the tubes cannot be removed
>until the dust seals have been removed - bc the lock ring is located under the
>dust seal.

Oops!!! Modified that idea a little bit: much smaller screw driver, rotated so
the blade is vertical and a little electrical tape wrapped around most of it for
protection... then I slid it in tangential to the tube and did the same thing:
pried upwards carefully.

Bingo!!!!

Thanks again.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)
April 19th 06, 01:35 AM
Per (PeteCresswell):
>Bingo!!!!

Got both dust seals off and both lock rings out without scoring the tubes.

Maybe it's time to quit while I'm ahead and let this thing sit overnite and
tomorrow.

On the air side, it seems like the variable damping assembly still has to come
out. At least that seems tb the only thing I can see preventing removal of the
tubes from the stanchions...

But the hex nut/adjustment assembly just rotates - rotating the damping assembly
with it. Seems like there has to be some way to stabilize the damping assembly
sufficiently to back off the nut.

Anybody know? I'm reluctant to just start sticking things in there for fear of
scoring the inside of the cylinder.

I'm guessing there are detailed instructions with pix somewhere.... but I can't
find them on Marzocchi's web site. Doesn't mean they aren't there... just that
I can't find them...

--
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
April 19th 06, 07:46 AM
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per (PeteCresswell):
>> Bingo!!!!
>
> Got both dust seals off and both lock rings out without scoring the
> tubes.
>
> Maybe it's time to quit while I'm ahead and let this thing sit
> overnite and tomorrow.

*cricket*

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training