PDA

View Full Version : Clip set....

RPJr
April 22nd 06, 10:29 PM
Made the decision to go from a peddle/basket set to a clip set after talking
to the bike shop service guy. From what he said I won't be disappointed. I'm
not a hard core rider but just like doing some single track when I can fit
in some riding time..................

Are the clip sets as good as he is saying??? Or should I have just stayed
with the baskets??

SuperPoo
April 22nd 06, 11:15 PM
"RPJr" > wrote in message
> Made the decision to go from a peddle/basket set to a clip set after
> talking to the bike shop service guy. From what he said I won't be
> disappointed. I'm not a hard core rider but just like doing some single
> track when I can fit in some riding time..................
>
> Are the clip sets as good as he is saying??? Or should I have just stayed
> with the baskets??

The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way to go--
once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on the trails to get
somewhat proficient at getting out of them when needed. Even after having
used them for years I did f' up leg pretty bad last fall. I got on top a
log, stalled and could not out of the pedals. I went down locked to and
twisted in the bike-- I did not break anything but I did put a permanent
"dent" in my right tibia. Not to make you any more apprehensive or anything
about using them. :)

Steve

Drew
April 22nd 06, 11:23 PM

> The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way to
> go-- once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on the trails
> to get

Uh, "clipon".
there is a clip, so they are not "clipless".

Drew

small change
April 22nd 06, 11:45 PM
Drew wrote:
>> The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way
>> to go-- once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on
>> the trails to get
>

> Uh, "clipon".
> there is a clip, so they are not "clipless".
>
> Drew

make sure to set the release springs really loose until you get used to
them.

SuperPoo
April 22nd 06, 11:56 PM
"Drew" > wrote in message

>> The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way to
>> go-- once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on the trails
>> to get
>

> Uh, "clipon".
> there is a clip, so they are not "clipless".
>
> Drew

Uh, ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal

Steve

Drew
April 23rd 06, 01:08 AM
"SuperPoo" > wrote in message

> "Drew" > wrote in message
>>

>>> The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way to
>>> go-- once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on the
>>> trails to get
>>

>> Uh, "clipon".
>> there is a clip, so they are not "clipless".
>>
>> Drew
>
> Uh, ...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal
>
> Steve

Clipless is from the old term "toeclips", You remember, the old cages that
were standard, and when they were eliminated the term became "clipless"
Not an accurate term.
Hence, " clipon, clipin"
Drew

JD
April 23rd 06, 01:52 AM
RPJr wrote:
> Made the decision to go from a peddle/basket set to a clip set after talking
> to the bike shop service guy. From what he said I won't be disappointed. I'm
> not a hard core rider but just like doing some single track when I can fit
> in some riding time..................
>
> Are the clip sets as good as he is saying??? Or should I have just stayed
> with the baskets??

Did you ever stop and think this person was just trying to sell you
something you don't need? Don't think for one minute that toeclips are
a hindrance to being an accomplished mountain biker:
http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/uploads/1144601307/gallery_2468_82_38298.jpg

JD

RPJr
April 23rd 06, 08:46 PM
Ummm......thanks
"SuperPoo" > wrote in message

> "RPJr" > wrote in message
>> Made the decision to go from a peddle/basket set to a clip set after
>> talking to the bike shop service guy. From what he said I won't be
>> disappointed. I'm not a hard core rider but just like doing some single
>> track when I can fit in some riding time..................
>>
>> Are the clip sets as good as he is saying??? Or should I have just stayed
>> with the baskets??
>>
> The correct term is "clipless" pedals and yes they are the only way to
> go-- once you get used to them. It took me about two weeks on the trails
> to get somewhat proficient at getting out of them when needed. Even after
> having used them for years I did f' up leg pretty bad last fall. I got on
> top a log, stalled and could not out of the pedals. I went down locked to
> and twisted in the bike-- I did not break anything but I did put a
> permanent "dent" in my right tibia. Not to make you any more apprehensive
> or anything about using them. :)
>
> Steve

April 24th 06, 01:03 AM
JD said:
Did you ever stop and think this person was just trying to sell you
something you don't need? Don't think for one minute that toeclips are
a hindrance to being an accomplished mountain biker:

A. The OP didn't ask if they were necessay for moutain biking. The OP
has already stated that he/she has evaluated the salesperson's advice
concerning clipless pedals(insert your prefered nomenclature here) and
has decided to gather more advice. Read the post again. It is 1.
implied by the post it's self 2. the post ends with " Are the clip sets
as good as he is saying??? Or should I have just stayed with the
baskets?? " What this sentence means is, I have evaluated the
salesperson's advice and I have decided that I may not need clipless
pedals. I would like to get more opinions concerning clipless pedals as
I may not agree with the salesperson. so, yes he/she did stop and think
that the salesperson's motivation maybe less than genuine or helpful to
him/her.

B. You are implying that it is stupid to listen to the salesperson's
advice and it seems to me that your agenda is not with clipless pedals
but, with the salespeople. You are masking your prejudice against
salespeople within the context of this post and not really addressing
the issue. A picture of one moutain biker with toeclips is hardly an
argument against clipless pedals. What do you think ratio of pictures
of moutain bikers with toeclips to moutain bikers with clipless pedals
is? Please post your agenda in new post.

C. Yeah, you don't need them. That dosen't diminish the LBS guy's
opinion that they are better than toeclips. Yes, the salesman does
want to sell you something and OP wanted to buy something or he
wouldn't have been in the store to begin with. The salesperson didn't
force the OP to buy them at gun point and any well stocked LBS will
have toeclips in stock that they can sell to anyone who asks for them.
The OP most likely asked the salesperson their opinion of clipless
pedals and the saleperson told him. The salesperson's opinion is just
that and not the word of god handed down from the moutain. None of this
invalidates the salepersons opinion of clipless pedals.

D. I don't know the numbers but, in my experience the majority of
moutain bikers prefer clipless pedals and I don't think that it is due
to stupidity or ignorance. I think this means that clipless pedals are
not a worthless product.

E. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As such a mutal respect of
those opinions is socially demanded in order to facilitate a respectful
society.

To the OP, In addition to the above I would add that I think they are
easier to get in and out of, I think they retain your foot better to
the pedal and therefore are better primarily for safety. Safety,
regardless of ability is paramount. I think They are also better for
performance and increasing the workout one receives on the bike
compared. I for one can't stand using toeclips and think that clipless
is one of the great innovations in bicycling.

Have a nice day.

Ride-A-Lot
April 24th 06, 01:14 AM
wrote:
> To the OP, In addition to the above I would add that I think they are
> easier to get in and out of, I think they retain your foot better to
> the pedal and therefore are better primarily for safety. Safety,
> regardless of ability is paramount. I think They are also better for
> performance and increasing the workout one receives on the bike
> compared. I for one can't stand using toeclips and think that clipless
> is one of the great innovations in bicycling.
>
> Have a nice day.

I think you need to view some photos and videos of JD riding with
"baskets". Safety is related to skill, not pedals.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

JD
April 24th 06, 01:16 AM
wrote:
<snip a whole lot of nothing>
> I for one can't stand using toeclips

That's funny.

JD

April 24th 06, 07:43 AM
ride-a-lot said:

"I think you need to view some photos and videos of JD riding with
"baskets". Safety is related to skill, not pedals."

Yes, safety is primarily skill related. The better one is the less one
falls regardless of equipment used. From the photo JD seems to be a
very good rider and probably has never fallen. I was not evaluating
JD's or anyone elses ability as a rider.

In comparing toeclips to clipless I stated an opinion regarding pedals
that the OP asked about. I do not claim that it is fact that clipless
are safer than toeclips. I was stating an opinion concerning one reason
that I prefer clipless.

have a nice day.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home