PDA

View Full Version : RR family fun

small change
April 24th 06, 09:42 PM
We bought my 16 old son a decent Haro last year, after the Sun Valley trip
where he earned the nickname "Flying Wallenda" on Dad's bike.

Mr. Adventure was off rafting somewhere, so I asked the kid if he's like to
go out riding this weekend. I gave him the options: Riverside... easy mostly
flat fast trails, or Beacon, more hills, some harder stuff. He opted for
the short loop at number two. (that's my boy)

First thing I notice is a gazillion downhillers practicing for the race
that's in a few weekends. What I don't get it that the club got the gate to
the actual parking lot opened so that you don't have to park on the shoulder
of the road, but that's farther to push your bike...

Son and I first hit the play ground area. This is a fun little loop trail
that goes up and over lots of small outcrops of granite; a great place to
get the feel for rocks. He even goes down Spleen Rock. Then up the hill,
through the meadow, and an area where some guy has been building a decent
stunt trail. There's a new little ladder, 2' wide with a roll off... kid
has to try it of course. Ok son, just look down the to the end of, where you
want to go... Damn, kid nails it! Me I pass this time but vow to do it next
time. We hike up the trail inspecting it, even the 8" wide skinny over the
Dead Hooker Pond. I suggested to the kid that I didn't think he was quite
ready to try that.

I'm feeling chicken myself. Riding for me this year has been very tentative,
I find myself doing a lot super slow controlled riding. OK, that's good in
some ways for developing a certain set of skills, but I need to get over
this.

So, we hike up this guys ladder trail, and it's very nice. He's let us know
he wants to come on board for the club projects so I make mental note to
self to stay in touch.

Kid and I head on down some swoopy trails, and I can see that he needs a
little lesson in shifting... tends to just used one gear all the time. Then
we hit the area with all the rollable outcrops... he goes for every one
except the very last one which is very intimidating. He's retained his
flying wallenda move, and more importantly, keeps dragging the bike back up
the hill to try things again ( that's my boy) Me, I'm gaining my confidence
because naturally I have to show him how to do it, right?

We hit the trickiest part of the trail. I could have taken him down the last
easy part on the XC race course, but opted for the B line, which is the
extremely technical XC course. It crosses the DH course in two separate
places ( note to self,. must get "watch for downhillers crossing trail)
signs. The kid didn't like this part too well, but as soon as we got to the
bottom he asked to go back to the play ground area. We spent a lot of time
jumping of this one rock. Mom got pretty good air several time, silly me
trying to impress my teenage son. It won't be long before he can duplicate
it though.

Bottom line is he had a lot of fun and said, sure he'll go again.
;-)

Penny

MattB
April 24th 06, 10:27 PM
small change wrote:
<snip>

> Kid and I head on down some swoopy trails, and I can see that he needs a
> little lesson in shifting... tends to just used one gear all the time.
<snip>

Maybe he's just a singlespeeder trapped on a geared bike? (not that
there's anything wrong with that) ;)

> Bottom line is he had a lot of fun and said, sure he'll go again.
> ;-)
>
> Penny

Awesome! I can't wait to do that with my boy.

Matt

gabrielle
April 26th 06, 02:44 AM
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:42:54 -0700, small change wrote:

> He's retained his flying wallenda move

uh-oh, does that mean he had to practice it?

gabrielle (was there for the inaugural flight)

Paladin
April 26th 06, 10:22 PM
"small change" > wrote in message
> We bought my 16 old son a decent Haro last year, after the Sun Valley
> trip where he earned the nickname "Flying Wallenda" on Dad's bike.
>
> Mr. Adventure was off rafting somewhere, so I asked the kid if he's like
> to go out riding this weekend. I gave him the options: Riverside... easy
> mostly flat fast trails, or Beacon, more hills, some harder stuff. He
> opted for the short loop at number two. (that's my boy)

Snipperoni

> Kid and I head on down some swoopy trails, and I can see that he needs a
> little lesson in shifting... ****tends to just used one gear all the
> time.****

Sounds like Jr Adventure is wanting to become a Singlespeeder! Knew there
was something about that kid I liked, and not just his acrobatics!

CDB

> ;-)
>
> Penny
>
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

JD
April 26th 06, 11:18 PM
small change wrote:
> Dead Hooker

> I suggested to the kid that I didn't think he was quite ready to try that.

Well done.

JD

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home