PDA

View Full Version : Newbie MTB rider and brakes question

Ride-A-Lot
April 28th 06, 06:56 PM
Boris The Blade wrote:
> I have a bike which has hydraulic brakes and recently I have noticed they
> are making a strange grumbling noise which I assume is because of air
> trapped in the system.
>
> Right now I only use the bike for commuting and light off road use, do the
> brakes need to be bleed ASAP or is this a minor problem that may fix itself?

What brand/model hydros? When you say grumbling, can you also feel it?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Boris The Blade
April 28th 06, 06:57 PM
I have a bike which has hydraulic brakes and recently I have noticed they
are making a strange grumbling noise which I assume is because of air
trapped in the system.

Right now I only use the bike for commuting and light off road use, do the
brakes need to be bleed ASAP or is this a minor problem that may fix itself?

Boris The Blade
April 28th 06, 07:11 PM
Well I have a giant xtc-se
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1024240 and no i
cant feel it, it is just the noise, grumbling/bubbly noise (i dont know else
to explain this?)

My brother has the focus fatboy
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Focus&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360021089&UberCat=0
which has the same problem.

What do you suggest?

Do you think we need to get both bikes checked out asap or can we wait?

"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Boris The Blade wrote:
>> I have a bike which has hydraulic brakes and recently I have noticed they
>> are making a strange grumbling noise which I assume is because of air
>> trapped in the system.
>>
>> Right now I only use the bike for commuting and light off road use, do
>> the brakes need to be bleed ASAP or is this a minor problem that may fix
>> itself?
>>

> What brand/model hydros? When you say grumbling, can you also feel it?
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot
April 28th 06, 07:15 PM
Boris The Blade wrote:
> Well I have a giant xtc-se
> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1024240 and no i
> cant feel it, it is just the noise, grumbling/bubbly noise (i dont know else
> to explain this?)
>
> My brother has the focus fatboy
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Focus&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360021089&UberCat=0
> which has the same problem.
>
> What do you suggest?
>
> Do you think we need to get both bikes checked out asap or can we wait?
>
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> Boris The Blade wrote:
>>> I have a bike which has hydraulic brakes and recently I have noticed they
>>> are making a strange grumbling noise which I assume is because of air
>>> trapped in the system.
>>>
>>> Right now I only use the bike for commuting and light off road use, do
>>> the brakes need to be bleed ASAP or is this a minor problem that may fix
>>> itself?
>>>

>> What brand/model hydros? When you say grumbling, can you also feel it?
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

The Website says the brakes on the Giant are mechs. If that's the case,
they are cable actuated and are not bleed. If indeed they are both
hydros and are relatively new, I would let them work in a few rides as
long as they are stopping the bike. New disc pads can have a variety of
nuisances such as squealing and grumbling from uneven pad material. Of
course, if you just got the bike, bring it back to the LBS and let them
look it over. It should still be under warranty, especially for working
out the little kinks.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Boris The Blade
April 28th 06, 07:27 PM
Ok thanks, the giant is hydraulic, had that bike since xmas and I think I
will take it back to my LBS, my brothers bike is newer, a few weeks old and
purchased online and it just a hassle arranging for them to collect and
return so was hoping this may be a minor issue that will fix itself.

"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Boris The Blade wrote:
>> Well I have a giant xtc-se
>> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1024240 and no i
>> cant feel it, it is just the noise, grumbling/bubbly noise (i dont know
>> else
>> to explain this?)
>>
>> My brother has the focus fatboy
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Focus&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360021089&UberCat=0
>> which has the same problem.
>>
>> What do you suggest?
>>
>> Do you think we need to get both bikes checked out asap or can we wait?

>>> What brand/model hydros? When you say grumbling, can you also feel it?
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>

> The Website says the brakes on the Giant are mechs. If that's the case,
> they are cable actuated and are not bleed. If indeed they are both hydros
> and are relatively new, I would let them work in a few rides as long as
> they are stopping the bike. New disc pads can have a variety of nuisances
> such as squealing and grumbling from uneven pad material. Of course, if
> you just got the bike, bring it back to the LBS and let them look it over.
> It should still be under warranty, especially for working out the little
> kinks.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

April 29th 06, 01:30 AM
Get a fix at your LBS. Both you and brother. And last but not least use
them brakes less.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home