PDA

View Full Version : Which 24" Rim for MUni??

b2bivy
May 5th 06, 02:18 AM
I know.. do a search... but here I go anyway. I have a 24" Nimbus that I
blew the rim up on, and all this time I feared I would destroy the hub
first. After all the "gotta roll outta this" concerns now I need a
stronger rim. Price is no concern, only strength. I want the 3" wide
tire - love my Duro Leopard - but really need a bulletproof rim. I
weigh 185 and love to rough it up, so what do I get? Airfoil, Sun,
Alex? I prefer to ask the community for I fear that the sellers would
see profit first over true best buy. No brakes in the future (on this
wheel) and NAUCC is coming and don't care to just watch so tell me guys
what do I buy??

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

forget_your_life
May 5th 06, 02:41 AM
Surly Large Marge rim

--
forget_your_life

On the 29er to the ATM

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

unicyclepa
May 5th 06, 02:42 AM
eather an arrow racing or a sun double track

Duhhhh heas right get the large marge i forgot about that

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
team YAMS member in your sig or title and say
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246

trials_uni
May 5th 06, 02:50 AM
sun double wide...or if you ahve the money get the surly.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

markf
May 5th 06, 02:54 AM
the kh rim is pretty nice and not too pricey.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

forrestunifreak
May 5th 06, 03:11 AM
I would suggest just going ahead and getting a whole new splined
wheelset. If you think your gonna break the hub, you might as well
replace the rim and hub now, it will be cheaper in the long run.

--
forrestunifreak

**Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

><> Unicycle for Christ *<><*

b2bivy
May 5th 06, 03:12 AM
forget_your_life wrote:
> Surly Large Marge rim

Did not know about Marge - looks and sounds tough. Haven't searched
yet, but all the 3" tubes I own and found are shrader (sp?) not Presta.
Not a big problem though, only question is with such a tuff rim how
long the hub will hold up... And to think I once thought I had too much
Muni...

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

b2bivy
May 5th 06, 03:17 AM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> I would suggest just going ahead and getting a whole new splined
> wheelset. If you think your gonna break the hub, you might as well
> replace the rim and hub now, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Sounds like we are on the same page - so now my decisions have doubled
- what hub will fit my frame? Its a 2005 Nimbus, and I have no idea how
wide that is. On the other hand, I don't know how much I want to sink
into a 24 incher when I think a 26 with some 170 cranks would be better
- good grief when will it all end?

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

vivalargo
May 5th 06, 04:28 AM
b2bivy wrote:
> Sounds like we are on the same page - so now my decisions have doubled -
> what hub will fit my frame? Its a 2005 Nimbus, and I have no idea how
> wide that is. On the other hand, I don't know how much I want to sink
> into a 24 incher when I think a 26 with some 170 cranks would be better
> - good grief when will it all end?

Gear questions, especially about Muni (which such wide variance in
gear), often lead to poor replies till you mention what terrain you
ride or aspire to ride.

For instance, the Large Marge is overkill unless you spend alot of time
dropping off or rolling over rocks. Also, mounting an LM rim on
anything but a KH or Profile (or comparable) hub is sketchy since an
economy hub will almost certainly blow before the rim. And if you're
already blowing out rims, it might be cheapest just to buy a new
wheelset. And if you're going to do that, just save up for a few months
and get a KH Freeride. You mentioned wanting a 26 inch, which in
generally not used in extreme Muni, so perhaps all this advice is
useless.

An Alex, KH or Sun rim will hold you over. They all perform basically
the same (a good wheel build makes a huge diference), though the Sun is
a bit stronger and heavier.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

forget_your_life
May 5th 06, 08:53 AM
i may have a Surly LM wheel for sale soon....im just not key on muni any
more...its a great wheel but i only get to muni every once in a blue
moon these days so the money would go well for a few 29er , and
freestyle uni upgrades..

it will be like $500 bucks though, but its totaly bomb proof.

LM rim
DT 14/15 spokes
Pro wheel build
KH hub
KH 165mm splind cranks
40mm X 20mm Bearings (that will fit on your Nimbus frame perfectly)
IRC 3.0 tyre
WTB 3.0 tube, with presta valve.

--
forget_your_life

On the 29er to the ATM

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

jake_amos
May 5th 06, 10:11 AM
KH freeride

--
jake_amos

edsbelly wrote:
> I Would say that your the best unicyclist i know with the exception of
> every other unicyclist i know

i am the eggman
add me
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

b2bivy
May 5th 06, 02:11 PM
vivalargo wrote:
> Gear questions, especially about Muni (which such wide variance in
> gear), often lead to poor replies till you mention what terrain you
> ride or aspire to ride.
>
> JL

I think I need - BOTH! I want to be able to do some more extreme stuff
I have found close - Roman Nose Trails (rocky descents and drops) - and
a 24 is in no doubt in order. The desire for a 26 with long cranks
comes from wanting to do the 12 Miles of Hell MTB race again next year
in a quicker and better style. I had thought I could have one "soft"
and one hardcore MUni, but I think I'd beat anything soft up so I need
to rebuild to more than I think I need. I got back into riding
unicycles after a 30 year lay-off when I spotted one at the LBS while
they were straightening my MTB rim for me - again. I did an impulse buy
and bought that one, and it now is only used for amusement rides on its
wobbly rim. Hey I think I see a pattern here.... Which is more
important to me? I'd have to go with 24 to play on - and I would be
crazy to build a strong wheel around a cheap hub.

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

vivalargo
May 5th 06, 04:39 PM
b2bivy wrote:
> I think I need - BOTH! I want to be able to do some more extreme stuff I
> have found close - Roman Nose Trails (rocky descents and drops) - and a
> 24 is in no doubt in order. The desire for a 26 with long cranks comes
> from wanting to do the 12 Miles of Hell MTB race again next year in a
> quicker and better style. I had thought I could have one "soft" and one
> hardcore MUni, but I think I'd beat anything soft up so I need to
> rebuild to more than I think I need. I got back into riding unicycles
> after a 30 year lay-off when I spotted one at the LBS while they were
> straightening my MTB rim for me - again. I did an impulse buy and
> bought that one, and it now is only used for amusement rides on its
> wobbly rim. Hey I think I see a pattern here.... Which is more
> important to me? I'd have to go with 24 to play on - and I would be
> crazy to build a strong wheel around a cheap hub.

Yo, B2Bivouac:

I've seen a trend in trying to address the exact question you put
forth. First, someone getting into Muni trashes a piece of gear. So
they try and upgrade that component. Then they get a little better,
trash more gear and upgrade the rim, the seat, the hub, the frame.
Many say, "Well, I don't really want to do the rad stuff, but . . . "

What happens is that everyone who munis more than a tiny bit naturally
gets better and starts hucking larger stuff. In the end, after
upgrading everything that broke, they've spent more than they would
have buying a solid Muni in the first place. So I think that if stuff
starts blowing apart at all, you're probably moving toward the tough
stuff and you might as well just suck it up and throw down (when you
can afford it) for a hardcore rig. With the KHs so cheap and solid,
it's really the way to go IMO. In the past constructing a rig from odds
and ends (even the best components) was okay, but now it's needlessly
expensive.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

b2bivy
May 5th 06, 05:19 PM
vivalargo wrote:

> I've seen a trend in trying to address the exact question you put
> forth. First, someone getting into Muni trashes a piece of gear. So
> they try and upgrade that component. Then they get a little better,
> trash more gear and upgrade the rim, the seat, the hub, the frame.
> Many say, "Well, I don't really want to do the rad stuff, but . . . "
>

> JL

I do believe I have seen the light and have come to the conclusion that
a KH Freeride is in my future. I have already looked and am wondering
is there a 2006 model? I will, of course, replace my rim but will most
likely go as moderate as the hub is. As far as the 26 incher goes, I
think the reason I want one is a poor one. I was hoping to make up some
shortcomings in my training with more speed in the easier terrain
(boring). The 12 MOH ride was a marathon sized effort, but when I
trained for a marathon I did 6 days a week for 3 months - 12 MOH I
decided less than a week prior (next year will be different!).
Forget_your_life helped too, for no doubt that would be an awesome
wheel, but why not get a whole new rig? Thanks guys for the help, for
once again it is hard to find someone locally who has a clue what I am
up against.

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

forget_your_life
May 5th 06, 10:51 PM
b2bivy wrote:
> Forget_your_life helped too, for no doubt that would be an awesome
> wheel, but why not get a whole new rig?.

because you asked about a strong wheel that would fit in your
frame...remember?

--
forget_your_life

On the 29er to the ATM

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

b2bivy
May 6th 06, 01:42 AM
forget_your_life wrote:
> because you asked about a strong wheel that would fit in your
> frame...remember?

Yeah I remember, but at the time I was planning on simply replacing the
rim. Plus I need to get on this now if I want to ride at NAUCC in a few
weeks, but if you wanting to cut me a deal send me a PM...

--
b2bivy
b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281

Chris Heritage