PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody given up b*king?

mark williamson
May 7th 06, 01:59 AM
I just gave a friend my bicycle on long-term loan because I just don't
use it anymore. In fact, when I tried to hand it over to him I
couldn't even remember where I'd put it!

My unicycle basically has all the nifty toys my bike used to have
(lights, reflectors, cycle computer, a flashing thing on my valve cap
;-), it's heaps more fun to ride and it's still quite fast for getting
places. I basically stopped using the bicycle for most journeys quite
a long time ago. The basic machine is a Nimbus 29er, 125 cranks and a
UDC gel saddle.

I'm curious if anybody else has "made the switch" like this in any
genre of cycling (e.g. give up mountain biking for muni, commuter
biking for cokering, etc), what their experiences have been, and what
hardware they're riding. Where you live would also be interesting - in
Cambridge, UK we've got quite a bike culture so there are lots of safe
cycle routes for me to ride around town without getting splatted.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Spudman
May 7th 06, 04:49 AM
I gave up riding bikes shortly after getting on the internet and
discovering that you can do more than just ride around in circles on a
unicycle. I used to ride around on bikes for fun, now I ride around on
unicycles whenever I go outside. All of my bicycles have rusted and
all of my bike ramps have since rotten away.

I figure I'll get a new bike for when I'm in college next year, though,
because driving around a car and searching for parking spots is way too
much work and I'd rather ride a bike long distance than a unicycle.

--
Spudman

Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

abbabibble
May 7th 06, 04:52 AM
yup. haven't ridden a bike for a long time, except for moab, where i was
brainwashed with 2 wheeled propoganda.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.
'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
*"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
Habbywall, that-a-way -------------->':cool:'
(http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
----------->X
*"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
BUTTON-->':eek: ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

picado
May 7th 06, 05:28 AM
i use my bike for flatland ( bike freestyle )

--
picado
picado's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11964

GizmoDuck
May 7th 06, 06:04 AM
Why give up something just because you are doing something else?

I'm doing far more biking now than I was before unicycling. And far
more biking than unicycling, but it does go in cycles :p There are
times when I don't ride the bike for months and others when the
unicycles gather dust.

--
GizmoDuck

'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

The SINZ Unitour- coming soon......

ntappin
May 7th 06, 06:04 AM
I stripped my bike for bc parts and tires and stuff. I hadn't ridden the
thing in about 6 months before I did so and now I couldn't if I wanted
to.

--
ntappin

madmattunipro
May 7th 06, 06:10 AM
I traveled to a city about a 4 1/2 hour drive from my home to visit my
grandparents. That's where I got my first uni. I got back to discover
that my bike had been stolen during the weekend. So I've made the
switch almost 100% since day one, but I still love bikes. Kinda a
forced retirment from biking, but I don't really mind that much.

--
madmattunipro

><>Unicycle For Christ<><
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

dan de man
May 7th 06, 10:07 AM
I havnt ridden a bike for at least 2 years

--
dan de man

Jethro wrote:
> Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.
>
> Help yourself to anything in the fridge.
>
> And please don't feed the clowns.
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

iridemymuni
May 7th 06, 10:18 AM
i havent ridden my bike to school in over 5 weeks. saying that i've only
ridden my muni to school 3 times. I only use my bike when i have to get
somewhere fast, but the tyres have been flat on my bike for the last
one and a half months. you just can't beat a bike for speed

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

phil
May 7th 06, 10:46 AM
Quite the opposite... before unicycling I only used a bike for getting
from A to B; unicycling has got me into mountain biking in a big way,
so much so that I ride bikes more than unicycles now. Unicycling is
excellent fun but a bike is more versatile and can go further.

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

ur
May 7th 06, 11:38 AM
I used to ride my b*ke daily, but since i learnt to unicycle, i haven't
ridden it in four years.

--
ur

Unicycling Revolution - JOIN THE REVOLUTION TODAY!
ur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4199

Eroick
May 7th 06, 01:01 PM
GizmoDuck wrote:
> Why give up something just because you are doing something else?
>
> I'm doing far more biking now than I was before unicycling.[...]

Exactly the same thing here. I use my unis for having fun and excersize
(I guess) and my bike for more utilitarian things, like getting around!
I also mountain bike. Unicycling has made me a better biker in general.
Unicycling works on many things, such as leg strength, core strength
and horizontal/vertical balance. These things help out with lots of
other sports, too!

--
Eroick

'The Unicyclopedia!' (http://unicyclopedia.org/)
Help us make it better!

'My Gallery' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/eroick/)
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

unisteve
May 7th 06, 01:01 PM
If I can, I unicycle everwhere.

The only times I bike are when I'm going somewhere with other
bicyclists.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

la vie est belle...

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

dorfman
May 7th 06, 01:12 PM
ha i havnt biked in months and the only reason i did is becouse i was
grounded and my dad was all

"no more unicycling till your grades are up"

me- "fine!" *rides off on my bike*

ahh...good times

--
dorfman

I BROKE MY FIBULA!
my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
i am Amandas NO.2 fan!
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

tobbogonist
May 7th 06, 01:30 PM
Yes i admit to the switch. I had a bike about 2 months ago and i rode it
down to the shop to get some stuff, forgot about it and walked home.
That was the last i saw of it. Now if i had just rode my uni i would
never have forgotten it and now i would have a bike and be able to then
i could but if i wanted... but i dont like to dwell on the matter.
Unicycling prove's to be funner anywho.

--
tobbogonist

The irony is, i cant tobbogan for ****e.
tobbogonist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12176

skianduniaddict
May 7th 06, 01:47 PM
My bike is sitting in my barn striped of all useful parts.

--
skianduniaddict

number1 under 15 skiier in the united states
ski sugarloaf uni bradbury
my cat bob ate four kids;)
i regret the day i threw a snowball at randy johnson
skianduniaddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11868

unitoon
May 7th 06, 04:51 PM
i have a bike but i haven't used it in like a year. i was always too
afraid to try to do jumps and go off ramps and stuff on my bike so i
would only ride it into town once in a while. now i'm really into
trials unicycling (i'm about to buy a trials uni ... yeah!!!) so i can
do jumps and stuff. i also use my unicycle to ride into town -- it's so
much more fun and worth the extra time.

--
unitoon

> Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

> I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
> a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
> Unisteve
unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

gkmac
May 7th 06, 05:06 PM
Had a little bike until the age of about 12, never owned another one
since.

In reality I could buy a new bike tomorrow, but it would take up a lot
of space in this small house of mine. If I wanted to take it to the
trails I'd have to muck about with roof racks and things to attach the
bike to my car.

There are many many times when I see someone riding a bike on the road
and say to myself "I wish I had one", for the purposes of going from A
to B on the roads. I could use it to get to work and to go to the
shops, but all those endless stories about bikes being stolen frightens
me.

But on the other hand, if I chose to ride in town using two wheels
instead of one, I can ride along knowing that I'm not going to get
stared at, or harrassed, or anyone wanting to come over to talk to me.
I can just ride and keep myself to myself, being seen as normal.

--
gkmac

"It's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
unicycle." - Stuart Maconie, Radio 2
"Oh no! Both my toes have gone numb!" - Joe Hodges
"You also met me gk! I was the one eating the sandwich!" - Adam Gayne
gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

flyer
May 7th 06, 05:27 PM
Generally when my friends are outside going for a bike ride or some
similar, I take my 10$ 12 (now 6) speed girls' road bike (older than I
am, with many original parts :eek: ), but hopefully I'll be cruisin' on
a coker soon enough so I won't need to bother with that thing anymore.

Bikes are cheaper, faster, more ubiquitous, make more sense, and a
whole pile of other benefits, but I still ride unicycles. Why? Because
I can.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

unisteve
May 7th 06, 05:29 PM
gkmac wrote:
> But on the other hand, if I chose to ride in town using two wheels
> instead of one, I can ride along knowing that I'm not going to get
> stared at, or harrassed, or anyone wanting to come over to talk to me.
> I can just ride and keep myself to myself, being seen as normal.

I like being stared at and harassed. It's part of the adventure and
allure I see in unicycling. I feel bad when I ride bikes. The whole
time I'm thinking about how much cooler my unicycles are, even if they
are extremely impractical.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

la vie est belle...

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

phil
May 7th 06, 06:57 PM
gkmac wrote:
> I could use it to get to work and to go to the shops, but all those
> endless stories about bikes being stolen frightens me.

I have two bikes... the mountain bike I would never leave anywhere
outside even if it was locked up; it is always either safely locked in
a secure location or being ridden. The other bike is my shonky
get-from-A-to-B bike; it was bought second hand for £40 or so many
years ago, it looks old and tatty, has various boring things like a
rack and a mirror and I feel safe locking it pretty much anywhere
because it's hardly worth anything. Remember also that a bike doesn't
have to be unpinchable, it just has to look less pinchable than the
bike you've parked it next to... :)

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Mikefule
May 7th 06, 07:26 PM
Living in a kennel, I have nowhere to easily store a bicycle. So I
bought a new unicycle to keep me fit. Now I have 7 unicycles and an
ultimate wheel, and storage space is even more at a premium. I think I
lent my bike to my mum.

--
Mikefule

Let every man so *p*itch his song
To help his neighbour sing along

TrialsUni
May 7th 06, 07:47 PM
Bikes are cool...But, I just don't ride them anymore. Personally, I no
longer have a use for a bike. I still own one, though I'm not sure
what quality it's in.

I used to ride street bmx, brakeless. I used to flatland/freestyle
skateboard. But, I got hurt the most doing those things, and I wasn't
progressing as fast as I wanted to. It's been a lot different with a
unicycle...I trust my self a lot more on a uni than my own two feet,
and it's been way more fun.

Evan

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

Unitik908
May 7th 06, 07:55 PM
i was never really a big bike user... but i did give up skating for
unicycling, well not so much gave up.. just took over kinda.. and i
dont even own a bike

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Tim Morin
May 7th 06, 09:40 PM
I havn't biked since my friend loaned me his uni to learn on back in
October 05. I don't want to say that I'll never bike again, but at
this point I don't have any interest in it.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

kington99
May 7th 06, 11:29 PM
I use my bike for commuting all the time, more so than when i learnt to
uni but that's just because I moved to university last year. I used to
uni to lectures a bit but I don't bother anymore, too damn slow for my
liking

--
kington99

Dave

Jerrick
May 7th 06, 11:33 PM
One thing about my bikes were, i wasnt really into the whole jumping
aspect of it, but i still do flatland on my bike, but on a uni i dont
like freestyle too much, maybe its cause im trying to do it on a
trials.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave me
alone about it!~*~

'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

podzol
May 8th 06, 01:43 AM
I rarely ride a bike any more. I prefer to unicycle.

dorfman wrote:
> ha i havnt biked in months and the only reason i did is becouse i was
> grounded and my dad was all
>
> "no more unicycling till your grades are up"
>
> me- "fine!" *rides off on my bike*
>
> ahh...good times

How about them grades? Will you be riding one wheel this summer?

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

David_Stone
May 8th 06, 02:03 AM
I have been uni'ing since I was 13, 26 years ago. I had this cool bike
before then, but after I discovered uni'ing, I pretty much let the bike
rust. After we gave it away, I never went the route of my friends, who
were all getting 21-speeds. Instead, I got another Schwinn uni (a 24"),
and later, a giraffe.

In high school, my brother (long-distance uni'ist John) and I rode
around after school. I did errands and got to places either on a uni or
by bus. There was no need for a bike, and street-riding is not much to
look forward to. Both of us attended the same college, which has a
pretty insular feel. There were few streets running thru any of the
places we wanted to go. So we still went bike-less.

After college, we eventually discovered larger wheel sizes, so now we
really didn't need bikes. In fact, I worked for 4 years, till I was 30,
at a school close by, so I uni'ed to work every day. When I took a job
across town, I decided to get a bike, but as fate would have it, it got
stolen, and so did its replacement. Eventually I figured out a way to
own a bike without having to worry about it being stolen: I never rode
it, except when I took my little daughter for rides.

7 years ago, I took a job in Brooklyn. Initially I took the subway
everyday, but one day I decided to go by Coker, and after that, I have
commuted to work on a Coker or guni for the past 5 years. And that bike
that I had finally got stolen last year. I didn't notice for about 6
months. Apparently I'd left it outside.

All tolled, I've ridden a bike regularly for two of the last 26 years.
I own over a dozen unis but no bikes other than a couple Super Trick
Cycles and a tandem that I got on the cheap.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

James_Potter
May 8th 06, 03:01 AM
I actually bike more now than I did before I learned to
unicycle...weird. I use it for transportation when I'm in a hurry, or
cold, or have something heavy on my back maybe.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
jonny peacock is my main man.
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

onewheelisbetter
May 8th 06, 03:16 AM
my did got me a superdduper bike this fall, and then about a month
later, i learned to ride a uni, and i like that way more now. which
kinda stinks, i still use the bike, but mostly just uni.

--
onewheelisbetter
onewheelisbetter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11411

joemarshall
May 8th 06, 12:04 PM
I always used to ride everywhere on bikes, but never had room for one
when living in London, so I got some unicycles instead.

Now, I use a fifty quid bike for transporting heavy stuff like
Christmas trees, or compost or whatever, or when I'm in a hurry to get
somewhere. With traffic lights and hills and stuff it takes about 10
minutes into town on the bike or a bit over 20 on the coker (or
slightly longer on the Schlumpf).

I also have a tendency to borrow people's bikes to go for rides,
particularly road rides. There's something about chasing down a hill
inches behind another rider at 40mph that's just fun. Last time I rode
a proper bike, it was fixed wheel in a silly high gear, and had no
functioning brakes, which was a bit fun, particularly on downhills,
36mph on a fixed is not happy knee making!

I've found I've got a lot better at riding bikes since I got the
unicycling fitness. I did the 4 mile ride into town in just over 10
minutes the other day, on a 5 speed girls bike, which is fast compared
to what I'd have done previously on my old touring bike. On a proper
road bike, I can ride with roadies and not get dropped off the back
now.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

tomtrevor
May 17th 06, 11:21 AM
i used to ride my biek every where, to school, to the jumps, to go
pretty much everywhere i would take a bike, now i ride my uni every,
its not quite as fast but its alot funner to ride, i only ever really
ride my bike when i need to go somewhere really fast.

keep it wheel.

--
tomtrevor

wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

onebyone
May 17th 06, 12:18 PM
I rebuilt my MTB and have started riding on weekends with a new
confidence after years of just riding a uni. I have been in the ski
slopes when they offer summer lift specials. I reckon Muni riding has
helped me with the bike.

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alien!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

rob.northcott
May 17th 06, 01:17 PM
onebyone wrote:
> I reckon Muni riding has helped me with the bike.

That's interesting - I reckon the opposite has happened to me. Since
getting into muni I've hardly ridden my mountain bike at all (still
ride the road bike a lot though). Recently my road frame has been away
for refurbishment and I've had to use the mountain bike more. I reckon
my off-road biking technique has suffered enormously from riding muni.
I don't really care though, I find muni much more fun at the moment.

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006

underdog
May 17th 06, 04:23 PM
I would LOVE to commute by uni but I still don't ride
efficiently/confidently enough. I practice every single day with that
goal in mind but I'm not there yet. It would take me an hour and a
half to get to work. I've fixed up my old mountain bike as a commuter
with a rack and bags and such and I use this to get to work every day
(about 7 miles each way). Since I learned to uni, my $3000 titanium
road bike just hangs in the garage:( . I always loved riding that
thing and probably still would but that's recreational riding and when
I go out to the garage thinking of a recreational ride, I look at the
bike and I look at the uni. The uni wins, every single time. Just too
much fun:) :)

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

johnfoss
May 17th 06, 06:51 PM
Never give up! I just barely ever ride mine. In fact, I don't know when
the last time was. I was riding it to work for a while, when I didn't
know if my knees were up to the 8 miles each way. But once I got used
to riding the Coker to work, the bike only got used a few times when I
was in a hurry.

I have an artistic bike, which is kind of like the grandfather of the
BMX freestyle bike. 26" wheels (originally), fixed gear, no brakes,
very short wheelbase, small pegs at the axles. It's an important part
of my shows, at least the ones that have enough room for the bike.

My wife & I also have a tandem, which we never use. Sad. At least it's
one wheel each! We stopped using that when she got her Rans recumbent,
which is a really sweet ride. When she rides it, I ride the Coker and
unless we start doing it more often, I can still keep up with her.

If I had a proper mountain bike, which I've never owned, I might like
to take it on fast, rolling trails for some speed & coasting. But
mostly I'd just as soon use the Coker for that.

underdog wrote:
> I would LOVE to commute by uni but I still don't ride
> efficiently/confidently enough. I practice every single day with that
> goal in mind but I'm not there yet. It would take me an hour and a
> half to get to work... (about 7 miles each way).

The best way to practice for the commute is by doing it, or similar
rides where distance is the goal. I used to make my 8.2 mile commute in
about 40 minutes each way, end to end. That's a mostly level ride, with
three stoplights and usually no stops needed otherwise. Add more time
if there are a lot of stops. But you can get there!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Fuego
May 17th 06, 07:04 PM
I learned to uni and then more or less gave up biking for a long time.
Now, however, I'm seeming to be a lot better at biking, just because of
the uni. I can bunnyhop now, I'm a lot better at MTBing, etc. etc. I
rode my bike to school during the winter, but I've been riding my uni
for a week or so.

I think uni makes you better at biking, and that biking is faster for
transportation (it wouldn't be so noticeable (sp?) if I had a coker).

I like my bike though.

--
Fuego

morons everywhere wrote:
> Get off my Property before you sue me!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

primus
May 17th 06, 07:30 PM
i made my bike wheels into bcs and havnt missed them yet

--
primus
primus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11833

Google