PDA

View Full Version : sandwich board help

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:19 AM
hi, I need help making sandwich boards. all the ones I make are to short
too skinny or flop over and not tall enough. I was wondering if anyone
has some close up pics of some.

Miles

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 03:22 AM
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72147&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=74afe01d66b787d0a41490ed44897302]

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:25 AM
do you have the dimensions for that? that looks very nice.

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 03:29 AM
mornish wrote:
> do you have the dimensions for that? that looks very nice.

twice as wide as high, i think we made 3 at 1ft, 1.5ft, and 2ft high
(if it was straight up and down)

you can't really see it, but there are holes drilled in the boards, and
cord going between them to prevent them from opening up on you (which
doubles as a nice carrying handle)

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:30 AM
also wat kind of wood would be good to use?

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:31 AM
ok cool. I would want 2 make at least 3 with varying heights so I could
make a little portable trials course.

--

mornish wrote:
> also wat kind of wood would be good to use?

i think it was 3/4" plywood

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:34 AM
cool thanks. If the hardware store is open on saturday ill try to
convince my mom to let me go get some wood. my current trials course
consistes of to things I can only crank grap on. also I couldnt really
see in the picture but how do you connect the rope/string to the wood?

Miles

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:35 AM
oh man. I mean sunday. I don't think its open on sunday:( oh well I
guess I can wait. :(

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:42 AM
what do you use to connect the rope to the plates?

also wat is an ideal angle for the plates to be at for them to be
stable?

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

forrestunifreak
May 7th 06, 03:44 AM
Look at www.unicycle.2ya.com or www.unicycletips.com or whatever the
website changed to.

--
forrestunifreak

**Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

><> Unicycle for Christ *<><*

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 03:44 AM
you want to use a cord that does not stretch, the stuff we used
stretches so we made several loops

|Filename: Untitled-1.gif |

Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:48 AM
oh ok i get it now. I drilled 2 holes and knotted the string at the
end.

does anyone think a 30 deggree angle would be stable enough?
also do u still have that sandwich board in the pic?

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 03:50 AM
mornish wrote:
> oh ok i get it now. I drilled 2 holes and knotted the string at the end.

same thing, this just looks a little cleaner.

we also trimmed the bottom of the boards out a bit so only 4 parts of
the sandwich board touch the ground, as opposed to two long boards,
this keeps it from wobbling on uneven ground

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

litldude2
May 7th 06, 03:51 AM
mornish wrote:
> oh ok i get it now. I drilled 2 holes and knotted the string at the end.

Thats how mine are, I have 2 holes on each board, one in each corner
and I have 2 different ropes knotted at the ends.
For the angle, play with it when you get it built and then decide where
you want it and tie your string according to that. You should be able
to tell if you think it might fall over.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
(See a pattern?)

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 03:52 AM
like this

|Filename: Untitled-1.gif |

Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 7th 06, 04:09 AM
thanks so much. ill try to get ahold of some wood if not on sunday then
sometime next week.

Miles

--
mornish

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

mornish
May 7th 06, 04:41 PM
oh yea, i convinced my mom to let me go 2 the hardware store today if i
finish my homework, but i was wondering since i want to make multible
sandwich boards with varying heights, a few big ones a few small ones
ect, I was wondering if I should buy one giant piece of wood and cut it
up, or lots of smaller peices. thanks

Miles

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Brian MacKenzie
May 7th 06, 04:55 PM
mornish wrote:
> oh yea, i convinced my mom to let me go 2 the hardware store today if i
> finish my homework, but i was wondering since i want to make multible
> sandwich boards with varying heights, a few big ones a few small ones
> ect, I was wondering if I should buy one giant piece of wood and cut it
> up, or lots of smaller peices. thanks
>
> Miles

hardware stores (at least ehre) will typically cut them up for you if
you buy a 8x4 sheet or two, make out teh calculations of your piece
size before you go to the store

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 8th 06, 10:31 PM
ok, i didn't get to go yesterday (even though I did all my homework) and
I can't got today, so maybe tommorow ill be able 2 go.

Miles

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

manon1wheel
May 8th 06, 11:46 PM
ive got a better design... but it might be a little more expensive. but
itll last longer. here they are:

|Filename: sawndwich boards 007.jpg |

manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

manon1wheel
May 8th 06, 11:47 PM
oh yeah. i made all of these sawndwich boards with one sheet of plywood
and 4 2x4's.

--
manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Brian MacKenzie
May 9th 06, 02:15 AM
manon1wheel wrote:
> ive got a better design... but it might be a little more expensive. but
> itll last longer. here they are:

how will that heavy design last longer than forever? (by forever I
mean WAY longer than anyone will ever use it for)

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

forrestunifreak
May 9th 06, 02:17 AM
Yeah that looks stronger for sure. But how strong are regular sandwich
boards anyway?

Man I need to make some...

--
forrestunifreak

**Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

><> Unicycle for Christ *<><*

Brian MacKenzie
May 9th 06, 02:22 AM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> Yeah that looks stronger for sure. But how strong are regular sandwich
> boards anyway?
>

> Man I need to make some...

the design i originally presented could be landed on from heights
higher than anyone would want to

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mornish
May 9th 06, 04:47 AM
that does look stronger but I don't have much money 2 spend on it so for
me the less $ involved the better. thancks for the pics though. those
look fun.

Miles

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

manon1wheel
May 9th 06, 06:49 AM
just go find some construction sights and pick up the scrap 2x4's. they
always throw some away.

--
manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

mornish
May 9th 06, 10:36 PM
k maybe.

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

andrew_carter
May 10th 06, 05:09 AM
One thing that might be worth noting is that if you're using them for
demos, the 'regular' ones may look more impressive to spectators than
the chunky ones. Although the landing surface is the same, people's
perception may be distorted by all that timber. Just a thought.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

Klaas Bil
May 11th 06, 07:56 AM
On Sat, 6 May 2006 21:19:49 -0500, mornish wrote:

>hi, I need help making sandwich boards.

I'll admit this is a rather late reply, didn't see it earlier. See

http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/props.htm

for some suggestions on how to build sandwich boards and other simple
trials stuff. Answers some of your later questions too.

mornish
May 23rd 06, 10:35 PM
YAY!!!!!! I finallt built three sandwich boards! I also have 2 more
completed except for the fact that theres no rope in them because I ran
out. I was wondering. On one of my smaller ones it is really wide, and
make it really weird hopping out of it. shoulkd i tie the rope to make
it skinnier?

ill try 2 post pics when i finish them all.

Miles

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home