PDA

View Full Version : Bad Pedal Grazes

iridemymuni
May 7th 06, 08:34 AM
hey, i just got some new odyssey pedals (theyre blue and they glow in
the dark) with removable pins. I put my soccer shin guards on and went
for a ride today. I did a one and a half foot drop ( my highest yet,
yay!) and nailed it first time. Then i did it again and screwed it and
screwed it again and the pedals slid down the back of my leg and took
skin. now the question, is there any way to protect the back of my leg?

|Filename: Ouch legs.jpg |

iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Matt.Weston
May 7th 06, 09:08 AM
Option one:

Second set of soccer shin gaurds - you'll find some of them will fit OK
around the back of your legs, if you have a spare set you can give that
a try

Option two:

Some kind of leg armor, such as the SixSixOne 4x4's. Though, these
only have a 'thick-ish' fabric to protect the back of your legs. It
prevents light pedal bites, but sometimes my Snafu pedals still bite
through. Other leg armours may be more ideal - check your local bike
shop and see if they carry any gear (or search online if you prefer
:))

Hope this helps!

-Matt

--
Matt.Weston
Matt.Weston's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11149

tumblebug rollin
May 7th 06, 01:25 PM
Rattlesnake Chaps?-------available at sporting goods stores in many
places in the deep south and west.

--
tumblebug rollin
tumblebug rollin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12020

mornish
May 7th 06, 03:27 PM
the 661s that i have protect the back of my leg pretty well. there only
like $30 on UDC and work very well.

Miles

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

evil-nick
May 8th 06, 03:59 AM
The 661's work pretty well, awesome on the front for pedal bites. I do
have a 1inch scar on my right calf though, a pin punctured the fabric
on the back, and then ripped both the fabric and my leg ;)

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

andrew_carter
May 8th 06, 09:42 AM
Nice photo...reminds me of 'my first pedal graze'
(http://tinyurl.com/8t4cs).

Did you get those pedals from Gary? If so, they may be the pair that I
accidentally ordered instead of the non glow-in-the-dark blue Odyssey
Jim Cielencki pedals.

661's do the job for me, although you may still end up with minor
scraps and bruises even with them on because there's no padding on the
back.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

iridemymuni
May 8th 06, 12:57 PM
i just ordered them in from the bike shop. They're the glow-in-the-dark
blue odyssey Jim Cielencki pedals. they cost 100 but she only charged
me 50 cause she's a nice lady :). what kinda price (australian) am i
looking at for 661's?

thanks

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

andrew_carter
May 9th 06, 08:40 AM
Was that at Gap Cycles? Was that Karen? She is very nice. I used to
work at Gap Cycles. I considered maybe doing the apprenticeship they
offered me, but I was pretty keen on studying architecture. I think
661's are $70ish, but that's a very rough estimate.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

hecklar
May 9th 06, 07:25 PM
In Aus, there are some really good shin pads available that i wish i
could get over here. If you just ride street, and aren't really
interested in knee protection as is desired in muni riding, you can get
shin armour that homogenously wraps right around your shins and calf
muscles. Tomsey once had a good pair that, i think, are called
Armadillos (check his videos). The 661 Veggies may also be a good
choice, but i'm not sure. I use 661 4x4s, due to a lack of
alternatives.

My LBS has a pair of Fuse shin pads that they can order in. They look
pretty good. Has anyone else tried them before? Here's a pic that i
googled: http://www.tenpackbmx.com/products/safety_gear/index.html

--
hecklar
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Mike The Uni Man
May 10th 06, 02:49 AM
me and jerick bought our 661's at

http://tinyurl.com/g7fe6

they cheap =p better then 70$...

--
Mike The Uni Man

-Mike T. Voss my initials are M.T.V. haha

<quote from that fat weird guy at les schwab> hey man do a
wheelie!!!!!!
Mike The Uni Man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11729

Mike The Uni Man
May 10th 06, 02:56 AM
iridemymuni wrote:
> i just ordered them in from the bike shop. They're the glow-in-the-dark
> blue odyssey Jim Cielencki pedals. they cost 100 but she only charged
> me 50 cause she's a nice lady :). what kinda price (australian) am i
> looking at for 661's?
>
> thanks

plus if there is a site that i can buy soem from i want some
they cool

--
Mike The Uni Man

-Mike T. Voss my initials are M.T.V. haha

<quote from that fat weird guy at les schwab> hey man do a
wheelie!!!!!!
Mike The Uni Man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11729

Jerrick
May 10th 06, 02:58 AM
Mike The Uni Man wrote:
> plus if there is a site that i can buy soem from i want some
> they cool

You should check butler, they might have them, or can order them for ya
=p

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave me
alone about it!~*~

'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

trials_uni
May 10th 06, 03:16 AM
i just got my 661 for 50bucksCAD i love em very comfy and very
breathy(is that a word?) they havent really had a chance to give me any
protection yet but they have given me some more confidence.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Jerrick
May 10th 06, 03:17 AM
I love mine too, and recently found out i can wash them in the washer!
so now they dont smell, well, they do, but with a nice smell, not
sweaty.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave me
alone about it!~*~

'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

Mike The Uni Man
May 10th 06, 03:23 AM
$50 dollars...

i only payed like 28$ all together...

--
Mike The Uni Man

-Mike T. Voss my initials are M.T.V. haha

<quote from that fat weird guy at les schwab> hey man do a
wheelie!!!!!!
Mike The Uni Man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11729

unisteez
May 10th 06, 03:29 AM
i got some called lizard skins at my LBS, they are made of like a
neoprene material and surround my whole leg below the knee. For shin
protection they have a hard plastic insert that is removable (but i
almost never take it out)

--
unisteez
unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988

manon1wheel
May 10th 06, 04:09 AM
Mike The Uni Man wrote:
> me and jerick bought our 661's at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/g7fe6
>

> they cheap =p better then 70$...

70$ in australian...

--
manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

olwyn
May 10th 06, 10:56 AM
andrew_carter wrote:
> Nice photo...reminds me of 'my first pedal graze'
> (http://tinyurl.com/8t4cs).
>
> Did you get those pedals from Gary? If so, they may be the pair that I
> accidentally ordered instead of the non glow-in-the-dark blue Odyssey
> Jim Cielencki pedals.
>
> 661's do the job for me, although you may still end up with minor
> scraps and bruises even with them on because there's no padding on the
> back.
>
> Andrew

GRAZE you call that a graze, dear god you must be hard as nails, I'd
have been in A&E with those. Boy you must still have the scars,
respect.
I've been using my old hockey pads they cover the front but not the
back, Ive had brusing but I've only got plastic peddles, I was gonna go
metal but I'm having second ideas. Is metal really worth it?

--
olwyn

Why does life steam passed so fast when your enjoying yourself?
olwyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12162

andrew_carter
May 10th 06, 12:47 PM
When sharp pedals hit your calf muscles they tend to dig in a fair way
and scrape their way down the leg fairly easily. The nice thing is
that it's far less painful than getting hit on the shins. :)

Are you riding trials or muni? If so, then yes metal pedals are worth
it. They don't have to be razor sharp, and if you want you can blunten
them yourself. They are far stronger and more durable though, and will
be more grippy when wet.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

olwyn
May 11th 06, 09:11 AM
andrew_carter wrote:
> When sharp pedals hit your calf muscles they tend to dig in a fair way
> and scrape their way down the leg fairly easily. The nice thing is
> that it's far less painful than getting hit on the shins. :)
>
> Are you riding trials or muni? If so, then yes metal pedals are worth
> it. They don't have to be razor sharp, and if you want you can blunten
> them yourself. They are far stronger and more durable though, and will
> be more grippy when wet.
>
> Andrew

Thanks for that graphic description, I'm even less keen, I WANNA BE
RAPPED IN COTTON WOOL AN' BUBBLE RAP! LIFE'S WAY TO SCAREY. :)

Yeh, trying to muni, getting better been riding for 4months now, bought
myself a big fat tyre and going for it. As an after thouhgt, I do
wonder how much the tyre effects my riding, it's great on the mountains
and I don't have trouble with turning and stuff I need to do there, but
I cant for the life of me turn circles on flat pavement areas.....mmm
moment for thought. What do you reckon?:)

--
olwyn

Why does life steam passed so fast when your enjoying yourself?
olwyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12162

andrew_carter
May 11th 06, 01:09 PM
That's a common experience with wide and knobby muni tyres. If you're
keen on it, it's worth it though - just like the metal pedals. If
you've got the money to spare you might consider buying a basic 24"
wheel with a more pavement-friendly tyre and maybe shorter cranks.
That way you can interchange between the two.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

unicycleboy
May 11th 06, 01:16 PM
Has anyone tried football shin guards or soccer as you call it in
america?
I used them before and not a scratch got to my leg. Not even pain as
the guards are made out of a much more solid material. I think thats
the problem with 661's even if you dont get scratched its still going
to hurt.

Trev

--
unicycleboy

www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

MMMM the Bishop

http://tinyurl.com/afror
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

iridemymuni
May 11th 06, 01:22 PM
i found out the hard way that soccer shin guards only protect the front
area, the back of my legs got eaten by the pedals, but that was mostly
due to me falling off backwards.

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

unicycleboy
May 11th 06, 01:45 PM
Yeh but most of them now also give some protection at the back aswell.
as much as the 661's lol

--
unicycleboy

www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

MMMM the Bishop

http://tinyurl.com/afror
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

pinwheel
May 11th 06, 03:20 PM
I don't know the difference I've only used football shin pads. I had a
look round the LBS and all the 661's had no 'rear guard' as is where,
are there special 661's for unicycling?

--
pinwheel
pinwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11624

manon1wheel
May 11th 06, 03:43 PM
pinwheel wrote:
> I don't know the difference I've only used football shin pads. I had a
> look round the LBS and all the 661's had no 'rear guard' as is where,
> are there special 661's for unicycling?

nope, i have 661's but i hardely wear them... i only wear them if im
practicing a new trick that involves bolth feet leaving the peddles

--
manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

pinwheel
May 11th 06, 03:50 PM
manon1wheel wrote:
> nope, i have 661's but i hardely wear them... i only wear them if im
> practicing a new trick that involves bolth feet leaving the peddles

so why are the damn thing so expensive? I'm sticking to the two pair
of socks and the football pads.... thanks for the advice. Do you also
wear elbow and other body armour? cos I just can't cycle in the stuff.
I tried once when off roading on my bike, crashed more times cos of it.

--
pinwheel
pinwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11624

unicycleboy
May 11th 06, 03:54 PM
haha wear everything including spine guard and sily stupid time trial
cycle helmet :P

--
unicycleboy

www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

MMMM the Bishop

http://tinyurl.com/afror
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

pinwheel
May 11th 06, 04:02 PM
unicycleboy wrote:
> haha wear everything including spine guard and sily stupid time trial
> cycle helmet :P

I'm sur e you look very dashing and very SAFE lol :)

--
pinwheel
pinwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11624

unicycleboy
May 11th 06, 04:18 PM
lol yeh and streamlined

|Filename: Img_5076.jpg |

unicycleboy

www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

MMMM the Bishop

http://tinyurl.com/afror
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

pinwheel
May 11th 06, 04:19 PM
unicycleboy wrote:
> lol yeh and streamlined

Damn fine, go fast stripes and all impressed. all I got is a couple of
small furry mice bound to my heads with tape!

--
pinwheel
pinwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11624

Google