PDA

View Full Version : Mac and the uni......quirk and the confused.

oldandmoldymat
May 7th 06, 07:25 PM
Ive noticed my frustration bubbling and burbling over the last while as
my uni obbsession boils. Becasue one thing I really adore and
appreciate is the quirk that riding a unicycle automatically bestows
apon one. And i would like to beleive that that quirk carries on
throuhg the ass of the rider and through th ebowels into the root, into
the pelvis up the spine past the heart, thud thud, and through the
neck, screeeeeech! and to the big ol crownie crown in the head. I guess
im ranting. But what really has been frustrating me is the fact that
most of the video's on here are windows media files and I use a mac and
i thought that maybe the quirk of uni riders would pass over into the
computer world and that everyone here would use mac's. But i guess im
wrong and thats okay it wouldnt be the first time...................any
ways three cheers to the quirk, blow up your pc's , steal a mac(but not
mine, ill share) and keep on rolling......mathew

--
oldandmoldymat
oldandmoldymat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12076

Unitik908
May 7th 06, 07:47 PM

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

forrestunifreak
May 7th 06, 07:57 PM
www.unicycle.tv has movies both in WMV and WAV.

--
forrestunifreak

**Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

><> Unicycle for Christ *<><*

wobblyjohn
May 7th 06, 08:01 PM
No trouble at all on this here crusty old eMac playing WMP-y video. My
wife actually has to wait to use our home computer to see a lot of
links and files that befuddle her employer's PC's.
Here ya go:
http://tinyurl.com/9rz5l

--
wobblyjohn
wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

oldandmoldymat
May 8th 06, 02:25 AM
and some of those fluster ations dissipate, maybe i just need to look
beyond the vale.....

--
oldandmoldymat

i ride like buddah nature exsploding and imploding into the
nothingness.....and well...the everythiangness.
oldandmoldymat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12076

tholub
May 8th 06, 03:18 AM
Windows Media Player 9 doesn't play most WMV videos, but the 'Flip4Mac
plug-in' (http://www.flip4mac.com/) does a pretty good job of playing
them in QuickTime.

--
tholub

leo
May 8th 06, 05:51 PM
that why I'm putting all videos on unicyclist.org in:
- Mediaplayer
- Real
- Quicktime
- Flash.

So I now, even though trying hard to be backward compatible, I now only
get complaints of people using outdated software.
Brings me to the next question...
did you know on Mac OS-X you can view:
- Mediaplayer
- Real
- Quicktime
- Flash

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

harper
May 8th 06, 09:25 PM
oldandmoldymat wrote:
> But what really has been frustrating me is the fact that most of the
> video's on here are windows media files and I use a mac and i thought
> that maybe the quirk of uni riders would pass over into the computer
> world and that everyone here would use mac's. But i guess im wrong and
> thats okay it wouldnt be the first time...................any ways
> three cheers to the quirk, blow up your pc's , steal a mac(but not
> mine, ill share) and keep on rolling.

So, are unicycle riders quirky or Mac users or both? I guess you're
right, we should all blow up our PC's (I think Macs are actually PC's
too, aren't they) and reformat our videos so you can watch them? What
format would that be? And you want us to steal other peoples'
computers? Charming.

Mat, I think there are finally people who are actually beginning to
write software that makes Macs useful. Not many, of course, and it's
not free or easy to get but it's a beginning. Third party Pong for Mac
should be available within a few years for about the price of a
unicycle.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

><>UNICYCLING FOR A FISH<><

gkmac
May 8th 06, 09:54 PM
leo wrote:
> that why I'm putting all videos on unicyclist.org in:
> - Mediaplayer
> - Real
> - Quicktime
> - Flash

You missed out XviD, but then that's my personal preference.

harper wrote:
> So, are unicycle riders quirky or Mac users or both?

Well some of us use Linux, with the amazing 'MPlayer'
(http://www.mplayerhq.hu/) and/or 'xine' (http://xine.sf.net/). They
can both play everything that I throw at them. MPEG1/2, DivX/XviDs,
wmv, Quicktime mov's of various flavours, Realplayer files (including
capturing streams to my hard drive), DVDs (from any region, with the
ability to skip the FBI/copyright warnings)... I download it, it plays.
Simple as that.

--
gkmac

"It's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
unicycle." - Stuart Maconie, Radio 2
"Oh no! Both my toes have gone numb!" - Joe Hodges
"You also met me gk! I was the one eating the sandwich!" - Adam Gayne
gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

oldandmoldymat
May 9th 06, 01:47 AM
......at my own ignorance with computers and my wild man assumptions
about the quirk........but this is all great info and answers to
befuddle me and your right steal it because mac is to
exspensive.........so steal it, its always exspensive, i think programs
should be free or really ****ing cheap really cheap makes more
sense...anyhow im babbling. and i guess thier is allota free **** just
gotta find it..

--
oldandmoldymat

i ride like buddah nature exsploding and imploding into the
nothingness.....and well...the everythiangness.
oldandmoldymat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12076

flyer
May 9th 06, 01:58 AM
Install flip4mac. This is way way way WAY *WAY *better than the crap
microsoft provides. Macs are great. :D

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

shapr
May 9th 06, 10:14 AM
Can anyone give me pointers to especially cool movies in the gallery?

--
shapr

Add your knowledge to the 'Unicyclopedia'
(http://www.unicyclopedia.org/) Brittanica ! Even if you're not
British!
shapr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7727

thieum
May 9th 06, 12:52 PM
Check out my web site

--
thieum

'Selection of the best uni videos out there by Matayo'
(http://monomaniaque.free.fr/videosmono/)
thieum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10189

johnfoss
May 9th 06, 07:05 PM
oldandmoldymat wrote:
> but this is all great info and answers to befuddle me and your right
> steal it because mac is to exspensive.........so steal it, its always
> exspensive...

You may be moldy but your writing says you're not old...

Macs are not expensive. You seem to be leaving out the cost of time.
The time it used to take me, nearly every time I turned my old PC on,
to do maintenance on it. Keep out the viruses, update the software,
tweak the over-active security settings. Time = money. The Mac works
out of the box. It doesn't come with a load of 30-day or demo software,
what's in there is actually usable. For a while at least, you still
don't need antivirus software or security/utility packages that goop up
your machine even worse than the registry junk that builds up from
normal use.

Sure, choices of software are more limited than what they are for PCs
but I have only found this frustrating in a few areas. I finally found
the photo management software I was looking for (works with Windows and
Mac), and it's excellent. Iview Media Pro is what I'm now getting
comfortable with.

Is the Mac a PC? More every day. It's only not a PC if you define a PC
as something running Windows or otherwise limiting it OS-wise. Now that
some Macs come with Intel processors (and can boot Windows) they are
getting even closer to "traditional" PCs.

I too have had trouble watching a lot of the videos people post. I
still need to find a 3rd-party viewer that can handle all the latest
stuff.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

unisteve
May 9th 06, 07:09 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> Now that some Macs come with Intel processors (and can boot Windows)
> they are getting even closer to "traditional" PCs.

No, now they -are- PCs. Apple has changed the only thing that made
them different from "regular" computers.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

la vie est belle...

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

johnfoss
May 9th 06, 07:17 PM
unisteve wrote:
> No, now they -are- PCs. Apple has changed the only thing that made them
> different from "regular" computers.

BZZZZT! Sorry, not accurate. Show me an otherwise Windows machine that
can run the Mac OS. If your definition is the simplest version,
"personal computer," they're all PCs. The Intel-based Macs that are now
on the market are still vastly superior in many ways to traditional
PCs, for the reasons I mentioned above and other factors, such as
design and engineering. They are only vulnerable to Windows malware
when they are running Windows. When running Mac OS, the ratio of known
viruses/malware is still running roughly 750,000:1.

One of the cool things about a Mac that can run Windows, though, is
that you can now choose from both worlds of software, including games,
and test things like Web applications without having to own and
maintain a separate PC.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

leo
May 9th 06, 07:32 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> Macs are not expensive. You seem to be leaving out the cost of time.

Like the people 'saving' money on that expensive fast ineternet
connection, by being very patient...
...not calculating how many ours of no-productivity a slow connection
generates.

johnfoss wrote:
> Show me an otherwise Windows machine that can run the Mac OS.

Know what you're asking for.
I guess you don't know what happend with the sites that did.
Though http://www.osx86project.org/ is back on the web again, but it
appearently with fewer details than before.

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

harper
May 9th 06, 07:43 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> Show me an otherwise Windows machine that can run the Mac OS.

What in the world would (could) you do with it, then? Certainly not run
any third party software.

johnfoss wrote:
> If your definition is the simplest version, "personal computer," they're
> all PCs.

My definition is the original and simplest definition of PC, personal
computer, which I hope both predates and outlives politically correct.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

><>UNICYCLING FOR A FISH<><

leo
May 9th 06, 07:48 PM
harper wrote:
> What in the world would (could) you do with it, then?

Those who caused the most progress in hacking OS-X tried many and most
worked.
But they were very disapointed they could'nt emulate XP (.....).

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

unisteve
May 9th 06, 08:10 PM
Does your Mac 'glow in the dark?' (http://tinyurl.com/p48ba).

p.s. that's actually my computer, which i custom built and liquid
cooled myself.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

la vie est belle...

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

tholub
May 9th 06, 08:20 PM
harper wrote:

> My definition is the original and simplest definition of PC, personal
> computer, which I hope both predates and outlives politically correct.

The first known usage of "politically correct" is from '1793'
(http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/7/7-879.html).

It's rather amusing that people are still trying to use the "no
third-party software" line against Macs, considering that a huge
majority of computer use these days is email, Web, Microsoft Office,
and personal media (pictures, audio, and video) and all of those are at
least as good or better on the Mac compared to Windows.

--
tholub

unisteve
May 9th 06, 08:30 PM
tholub wrote:
> The first known usage of "politically correct" is from '1793'
> (http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/7/7-879.html).
>
> It's rather amusing that people are still trying to use the "no
> third-party software" line against Macs, considering that a huge
> majority of computer use these days is email, Web, Microsoft Office,
> and personal media (pictures, audio, and video) and all of those are at
> least as good or better on the Mac compared to Windows.

But not everyone just wants to surf the net. The reason I don't use
Linux or a Mac is because I like gaming AND surfing the net. A lot of
games are either pains in the hind quarters to get to run on
Linux/Macs, or impossible.

XP lets me do my internetting and anything else I want, relatively
painlessly. The key is to work -with- the flaws of Windows, not
against them. It's like using reverse psychology on small children to
get them to do what you want.

Just like unicycling, if it wasn't challenging, I wouldn't do it. I
get a certain amount of satisfaction beating my computer into
submission.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

la vie est belle...

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

thieum
May 9th 06, 09:54 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> BZZZZT! Sorry, not accurate. Show me an otherwise Windows machine that
> can run the Mac OS.

Are you planning on coming to France anytime soon, cause I can arrange
that very easily ;)
It is very convenient to run MacOS X on a PC, you get a faster computer
for less money and you can run all the great apps that are exclusively
available under OS X. The only problem: it's illegal.

My next lappy will be an apple, from which I'll run XP/OSX, legally.

--
thieum

'Selection of the best uni videos out there by Matayo'
(http://monomaniaque.free.fr/videosmono/)
thieum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10189

tholub
May 9th 06, 11:02 PM
unisteve wrote:
> But not everyone just wants to surf the net. The reason I don't use
> Linux or a Mac is because I like gaming AND surfing the net. A lot of
> games are either pains in the hind quarters to get to run on
> Linux/Macs, or impossible.

Since we've had too much religious discussion in this forum lately, let
me just say that a Mac meets *my* needs better than a Windows box. I
don't see why I'd care to convince you that it meets *your* needs
better.

--
tholub

harper
May 10th 06, 12:50 AM
tholub wrote:
> The first known usage of "politically correct" is from '1793'
> (http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/7/7-879.html).

I have now only to hope that personal computer outlives it.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

><>FISHING FOR A UNICYCLE<><

johnfoss
May 10th 06, 04:15 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> Show me an otherwise Windows machine that can run the Mac OS.

Acutally, my wife had a Windows/Mac machine when I first met her in
1999. I think that particular one was going out of date at the time,
meaning it was already a few years old. That one worked, but wasn't
the best example as it contained two entire processors and chipsets; a
little wasteful but less-so than two separate boxes.

harper wrote:
> What in the world would (could) you do with it, then? Certainly not run
> any third party software.

If you mean on a Mac, there's tons of it. Some of the ones I use most
are Microsoft Entourage, Adobe Creative Suite, Iview Media Pro, and a
bunch of little shareware/freeware apps like the one I use for
batch-renaming of photos. I don't really use the iLife suite, for
example, but it's there if I need it.

Getting back to the original topic, my up-to-date Mac still has some
gaps in what video files it can play, though some of this is the case
for an out-of-the-box Windows system as well. I can play most forms of
Windows Media files with my included Media Player 9, for example, but
there is no version 10 for us.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

the0sum
May 10th 06, 06:11 AM
I am a mac user too and i just use Flip4Mac which works pretty well for
me.

> Those who caused the most progress in hacking OS-X tried many and most
> worked.

It's actually fairly easy to create a virus on a mac, just no one
really wants to do it, and I think it's pretty easy to remove one if
you get it.

> XP lets me do my internetting and anything else I want, relatively
> painlessly. The key is to work with the flaws of Windows, not against
> them.

Yes but there are those flaws like trojans that you can't delete unless
you reinstall everything, which by the way I have on my other computer
and it sucks.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the reason that mac is switching to intel
processors, besides the fact that they can make mac's faster, is
because they are starting to merge computers into one or something like
that so we don't have to have these conversations and we can watch all
videos in one format instead of all these: .asf, .wmv, .mov, .qt, .3g2,
3gp, .3gp2, .3gpp, .gsm, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .cmp, .divx,
xvid, .264, .rm, .rmvb, .flv + many more. =)

--
the0sum

i only eat candy
the0sum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11702

ColDawG
May 10th 06, 06:27 AM
tom, you make a very good argument for macs, most of what you need is
included

the only thing people don't like about them (besides those who fear
change from PCs) is that they can't play all the games that they can on
their PCs
but now w/ the ability run OSX and XP, there's no reason why anyone
shouldn't have a mac ;)

no but really, macs rock, and to each his own.

--
ColDawG

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman

http://www.wheelaway.com/
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

tholub
May 10th 06, 03:45 PM
ColDawG wrote:
> tom, you make a very good argument for macs, most of what you need is
> included
>
> the only thing people don't like about them (besides those who fear
> change from PCs) is that they can't play all the games that they can on
> their PCs
> but now w/ the ability run OSX and XP, there's no reason why anyone
> shouldn't have a mac ;)
>
> no but really, macs rock, and to each his own.

I think the hype around being able to boot Windows on a Mac will soon
pass. I've installed and run lots of dual-boot systems, usually Linux
and Windows, and in every case the person who asked me to install it
later gave up on it. Dual-booting is a major pain in the rear; only a
few hard-core gamers will stick to it. And even then, only those
hard-core gamers who care enough about design that thay buy a Mac over
a better price-performance Windows box.

--
tholub

flyer
May 10th 06, 04:13 PM
johnfoss wrote:

> Getting back to the original topic, my up-to-date Mac still has some
> gaps in what video files it can play, though some of this is the case
> for an out-of-the-box Windows system as well. I can play most forms of
> Windows Media files with my included Media Player 9, for example, but
> there is no version 10 for us.

Have you installed flip4mac? After I installed that, my mac would play
more stuff more simply than my pc would. VLC handles all my .avi needs,
and flip4mac allows you to play wmvs inside quicktime, eliminating the
need for about sixteen different programs.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Seager
May 10th 06, 09:14 PM
Honestly, we should all be using DIVX. It blows .wmv out of the water,
and it's not like it's hard to instal a codec.

I'll use a Mac when they make an OS as intuitive as win2k. Until then,
I'm sticking with win2k (XP seems bloated to me). I'm not sure why you
all have stability issues with PC's (maybe you have kids that use
it?.) I simply run free AVG for antivirus, keep teatimer running
(spyware), and use firefox and Eudora and I stay virus free. I get 30
day uptimes on an ancient athalon 1.4gz. I restart to instal things,
not because I'm having problems. I see absolutely NO reason to use a
mac.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

the0sum
May 11th 06, 01:18 AM
Seager wrote:
> Honestly, we should all be using DIVX. It blows .wmv out of the water,
> and it's not like it's hard to instal a codec.
>
> I'll use a Mac when they make an OS as intuitive as win2k. Until then,
> I'm sticking with win2k (XP seems bloated to me). I'm not sure why you
> all have stability issues with PC's (maybe you have kids that use
> it?.) I simply run free AVG for antivirus, keep teatimer running
> (spyware), and use firefox and Eudora and I stay virus free. I get 30
> day uptimes on an ancient athalon 1.4gz. I restart to instal things,
> not because I'm having problems. I see absolutely NO reason to use a
> mac.

PC's are great too, both operating systems have a lot of strong points.
It's mostely a personal choice though, I like macs a lot better than
pc's and see only one reason to use a PC: games.

P.S. 1.4gz is quite slow, upgrading to a higher processor wouldn't be
that expensive right now, i got a 3.0gz + motherboard combo for only
$200.

--
the0sum

i only eat candy
the0sum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11702

Ducttape
May 11th 06, 06:05 AM
I have 8 Macitosh Computers and 2 PCs the Macs are all Desktop Computers
and the 2 PCs are Laptops. I Agreee that Macs are harder to find good
software for but PCs(Windows) are such a huge Market that no one
bothers to dabble with Macs anyone with even limited knowledge of Unix
could easily tweak a Mac.

For those of you who insist that putting a Intel chip in to Macs has
made them like the everyday PC your wrong in one way and right in
another your wrong because The operating system is what makes a Mac a
Mac, and your right because the definition of a PC is PersonalComputer.
I only use my Windows computer for games that don't work on my Mac or
for schoolwork that requires a program I don't have for my Mac.

In the end, everyone has their quirks PC Users refuse to admit Macs are
easy and Mac users refuse to admit PCs are easy, one thing is for sure
though Everyone on this fourum shares the same Quirk, UNICYCLING!!!

With that I end my rant.

--
Ducttape

*\"YOU'VE LOST A WHEEL!\" \"Don't be daft, where would I put a second
wheel?\"*
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

harper
May 11th 06, 07:12 AM
Ducttape wrote:
> Everyone on this fourum shares the same Quirk, UNICYCLING!!!

Ah, but unicycling is not a quirk, it is a lifestyle.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

><>FISHING FOR A UNICYCLE<><

Ducttape
May 12th 06, 12:10 AM
Point taken

--
Ducttape

*\"YOU'VE LOST A WHEEL!\" \"Don't be daft, where would I put a second
wheel?\"*
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

evil-nick
May 14th 06, 01:51 AM
I don't find dual-booting too bad. When I'm working I use Linux, and if
I'm going to play games, I boot Windows. The ONLY problem with
dual-booting is the harddrive space. I need to upgrade from the 20G
harddrive in my laptop so I can install Windows... then I can play
Final Fantasy 7, and maybe FINALLY beat it :P

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/