PDA

View Full Version : Re. Newbie (copied from "Our Bore")

Sorni
May 8th 06, 06:37 AM
Kris Osborn wrote (RBOR):

> Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike
> would be a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I
> could afford the Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the
> money, is it a good bike for a beginner? Should I go with a different
> name brand, or should I save more money(if so what is a better Trek
> model)? what do you suggest?

FYI, this newsgroup is all but dead. Try "Alt.mountain-bike" (added to this
post).

Best advice is to visit a number of "local bike shops" (LBSs) and test ride
a number of models. Tell the salesperson what kind of riding you want to do
and what your budget is, and go from there.

For $400 or so, I'd advise getting a fully rigid bike, or MAYBE a "hardtail"
(front suspension only). Stay away from "full suspension" in that price
range -- it will be heavy and unreliable (IMO).

And, of course, "buy the red one"

Have fun shopping (AND riding),

Bill S.

(I messed up adding AM-B I think; sorry if this appears twice.)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home