PDA

View Full Version : For those worried about the current Schlumpf strength

Brian MacKenzie
May 8th 06, 12:16 PM
Reading a post a while ago about people being scared to take their GUnis
off of curbs, I decided to ask Mr. Schlumpf himself. (Not Gilby,
Florian)

his reply:

"the gearing system itself is very very robust. It’s the same as
the version has, that Kris Holm is testing for half a year now, and
works perfect, even with 2m drops and the like.
The only limitation are the cranks and the axle: the square end axles
are not robust enough for high jumps, both the cranks or axle can
brake.
It’s the same limitation, that BMX bikes have: with a square end
axle, you’d better not drop too high to avoid broken
crankarms/axle.
"

This is exciteing news, as I recieve my GUni this week, and I doubt I
will be taking a 29r over anything more than I take my square taper
Coker off of anyways, and will still be able to ride as aggresively as
I enjoy

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

flyer
May 8th 06, 12:20 PM
That's very cool to hear. I think a lot of it was David Stone's
paranoia, since he tends to talk a lot about his GUni ;)

Personally, I think I'm waiting for the price to descend. Got a Dave
Stockton on the way instead :)

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Brian MacKenzie
May 8th 06, 12:26 PM
flyer wrote:
> Got a Dave Stockton on the way instead :)

You'll be very happy, he's great at yard work and cleaning garages

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

joemarshall
May 8th 06, 12:27 PM
Brian MacKenzie wrote:

> This is exciteing news, as I recieve my GUni this week, and I doubt I
> will be taking a 29r over anything more than I take my square taper
> Coker off of anyways, ans will still be able to ride as aggresively as
> I enjoy

I've ridden mine up/down kerbs, roots etc. same as I would a coker or a
square taper muni. It's fine. I don't break cranks or hubs on the muni,
so I'm sure I won't do anything to them. Obviously you're risking
having to use the hub warranty, which would be a nightmare, but from
the sound of it, it's very unlikely to be a problem, and hey, that's
why you pay a fortune for a unicycle with a 5 year warranty.

The weak point of the Schlumpf is for sure the frame not the hub, be
really careful tightening up all the bolts not to over or under-tighten
anything, or else you can get snappy frame joy and six month wait
warranty woes.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Brian MacKenzie
May 8th 06, 12:31 PM
joemarshall wrote:

> The weak point of the Schlumpf is for sure the frame not the hub, be
> really careful tightening up all the bolts not to over or under-tighten
> anything, or else you can get snappy frame joy and six month wait
> warranty woes.
>
> Joe

In the last email from him: "Your hub is ready for about two weeks, but
we were waiting for an improved part of the new frame"

He didn't mention what the new part was

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

U-Turn
May 8th 06, 01:07 PM
Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> he's great at yard work and cleaning garages

That's just a rumor, and is totally untrue, as many rumors are. But
maybe if I got to ride one of those little tractor-mower things...

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

David_Stone
May 8th 06, 05:30 PM
flyer wrote:
> That's very cool to hear. I think a lot of it was David Stone's
> paranoia, since he tends to talk a lot about his GUni ;)

You are absolutely right on both counts: paranoia and verbosity. But
don't forget that my Generation One hub actually -did-disengage a few
times, which was scary as hell. My new hub has made me feel very safe,
and I've taken curbs up and down with no problem...except this clicking
noise that I have to ask someone about this summer at NAUCC.

> Personally, I think I'm waiting for the price to descend. Got a Dave
> Stockton on the way instead :)

I know you'll love that. Stockton does great work!

PS: See how quiet I can be if I try?:p

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,