PDA

View Full Version : Re: Los Angeles Unicycle Roundup June 3, 2006

terrybigwheel
May 8th 06, 05:15 PM
The Munieer wrote:
> John Long, Josh Schoolcraft, and Eyal Aharoni will be leading the MUni
> ride down Hummingbird trail.
>
> Cheers.

Please tell me how to get there...Specific directions if possible, from
the Torrance area. Thanks!:)

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

terrybigwheel
May 8th 06, 08:41 PM
caw89 wrote:
> Ohh cool, directions would definatly be nice for the trail. It seems we
> went from lil gathering to a full uni event with the offraoding in the
> moarnign and the trials in the afternoon, Maybe it will eventually be
> as big as CMW...Ohh what kind of trail is it, I mean, is it a hike up
> and ride down and hopefully tech?

You can pretty well bet that the hummingbird trail will be QUITE
technical (if not ALL Rocky!) if the guys from SB club are involved! Of
course, I could be totally wrong!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

entropy
May 8th 06, 10:50 PM
Of the three trails we frequent in the Simi area, (Devil's Slide, GSpot
and Hummingbird), Hummingbird is the least technical. It still has
enough "bumps" to make things interesting, however. Also, like Moab
terrain, there are plenty of opportunities next to the trail to play
around. The trail itself is almost 100% downhill and about 3 miles in
length.

'Directions to trail area.' (http://tinyurl.com/oeckk)

We meet in the small parking area across the bridge just off the Rocky
Peak exit on the 118 West and plan the shuttling and short hike to the
trailhead from there.

I have no pictures of Hummingbird trail, but the terrain on
GSpot/Devil's Slide is quite similar to Hummingbird and can be seen in
my gallery. Hummingbird tends to go around the boulders and cliffs
instead of over and down them.

Also, if it is sunny, it will be hot and dry on the trail as there is
absolutely no cover. Bring sunblock and water.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

x1psh1x
May 9th 06, 12:18 AM
even though i suck, i think ill go. i may be the worse one there but im
still going.

--
x1psh1x

the only way out is death

http://myspace.com/captainklunk
x1psh1x's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11791

terrybigwheel
May 9th 06, 12:32 AM
x1psh1x wrote:
> even though i suck, i think ill go. i may be the worse one there but im
> still going.

Don't worry about that, I am probably about your skill level, so you'll
have company! See ya there!:D

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

x1psh1x
May 9th 06, 04:49 AM
how long or hard is this ride, cause i only have a 20 inch.

--
x1psh1x

the only way out is death

http://myspace.com/captainklunk
x1psh1x's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11791

The Munieer
May 9th 06, 05:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

I need to clarify. There are two rides for the event. One is the Muni
ride and one is the Park ride. The Muni ride is much as Josh (Entropy)
described. This is a shuttle. There is also a Park ride that is very
simple and easy. It is @1 mile in length with half on paved bike path.
The other half of the park ride is on a hard pack trail that resembles
a fire road. It's in pretty good shape. Anyone who can ride on a
sidewalk can ride the 2nd half without any difficulty. You can do the
ride on a 20". The group moves slowly and it spreads out.

If there is any concern about ability level, don’t worry. You
will be fine. We have all been there. Everyone is welcome on both rides
regardless of ability

Here are some more details regarding the MUni ride. This will also go
out in an email later this week.

Beginning in the early morning of June 3, we are adding a Mountain
Unicycle or Muni ride. This ride--one of the more popular downhill
mountain bike trails in Southern California--has something for both
veterans and anyone interested in getting a taste of MUni. Even if you
don’t ride Muni, you can still come along. Bring your unicycle
and try riding the trail. There are long sections of moderate and
intermediate terrain, and you can easily walk the harder, technical
sections (Hummingbird is one of the most popular hiking trails in the
area). There are several rock gardens and steep, rocky bits for
experts to session on. If you want to see MUni up close and personal
and see how fun it is, then come on down. Estimated time on the trail
is @2 hours.

The Muni group will be lead by John Long, Josh Schoolcraft, and Eyal
Aharoni of the Santa Barbara Muni Club. They will ride the Hummingbird
Trail just above Chatsworth just off the 118. This is a shuttle ride.
Riders will meet at the location described above in Entropy’s
post, and then gather up into small groups and shuttle in a few
vehicles up to the trailhead where the trail begins. Then, everyone
rides down.

Meeting place:

Time: 8:00 am

Afterwards, the shuttle drivers will drive back up to the trailhead in
one vehicle and return with the shuttles. The main group will continue
to Lake Balboa for the unicycle roundup group park ride.

Directions to Lake Balboa are on the website
http://UnicycleRoundupLA.com on the Directions and Lake Map page.

Cheers

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

The Munieer
May 24th 06, 02:00 PM
This is just a bump. Maybe someone new will see this thread who lives in
the greater LA area, that hasn't seen it before.

BTW, the park ride is a little over two miles, not one mile as
described earlier in the thread.

Also, riders for the MUni ride are asked to be there as close to 8:00
as possible. This way, the dreaded heat can be avoided. John doesn't
want to start any later than 8:30.

Cheers!

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

vivalargo
May 26th 06, 05:09 AM
Hi all--

Hans and I rode Hummingbird again this afternoon and it really is an
outstanding trail, mostly intermediate but with a lot of long rocky
rolling sections and a few tech bits to fiddle on for those who want to
bust out a few moves. If you can ride at any kind of level, you'll
likely be able to ride a whole lot if not all of this trail. G-Spot it
ain't, but it's good fun and a good pump with decent (4 miles or so)
length.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

caw89
May 26th 06, 11:46 PM
For the Muni trail, is the shuttle to the top where we dont have to hike
up anymore, or is it to the base of the trail and we have to hike up 4
mi like we did at CMW. Ohh and is it Tech at all? I hope so...

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)
'Pedal protector' (http://pedalprotector.com/)
AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

vivalargo
May 27th 06, 01:16 AM
The LA Roundup morning muni ride is a shuttle. Go back a few posts and
read Entropy's description how to get there and where we are meeting.
We will shuttle cars down to the bottom and then return to the top to
start. There's a .6 mile hike up a fire road then it's all bombing
downhill. There's plenty of tech stuff to fiddle on in various places,
with some long rolling sections that are good practice and can't be
thieved past via trials techniques. You gotta ride them, or not.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

teachndad
June 1st 06, 08:14 AM
The following was emailed to everyone on the email list already.

Hi Everyone,

Just a few days to go to the Uni Roundup. I am looking forward to
meeting everyone and bringing everyone together!

I want to caution everyone that it will be very hot in the Valley with
temps near 100 degrees.
I really really emphacize taking care of yourself. Make sure you remain
hydrated, especially during the park ride. About two thirds of it is
exposed to the sun. It should last about 30 minutes. Make sure you
bring some water along for the ride and put on some sunscreen before
hand. BTW, helmets are recommended.

I will bring a cooler with two cases of bottle water to help out with
the hydration, but over the days activities, that may run out. If
anyone wants to bring extra water, by all means do.
There are water fountains nearby as well as bathrooms.

The trials riders will have to really watch their own stamina in the
heat and watch the exertion. If you feel yourself feeling sluggish or
weakened, then take a rest. A helmet for the trials competition is
highly HIGHLY recommended! Trials riders must use good judgement and
caution when riding around some of the trials lines. They come close
to where small children may be playing.

I need help setting up the trials lines. I have spoken with a few of
you via email. You will need to meet with me about 30 minutes prior to
the start of the trials competition - thats about 1:30 pm. I will have
tape and sharpies to mark the in and out of the sections. We may also
use chalk.

I will try to get a table under some trees by getting there early in
the morning. But, I am sure other people at the park have the same
idea. If it's a problem I will dazzle them with some uni skills and I
am sure that will get them to move to another site. (well maybe).

Look for the UNI Roundup sign mounted on my white 96 Honda Minivan that
should be parked near the childrens play area. A large green awning
will also indicate where we are gathering. I will have a sign hanging
from that as well. The lake map at
http://unicycleroundupla.com shows where we will gather.

I will be there wearing an olive drab baseball hat that says "Dads Hat"
on the front in green letters.

Take care and see everyone soon.

Rod Wylie

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

teachndad
June 1st 06, 08:17 AM
For anyone wanting to share their experiences after the Roundup, please
start a new thread. That way we can get more exposure.:)

Then, we can all add to that thread.

Thanks.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Evan Byrne
June 1st 06, 08:29 AM
I will be there.

Rod, whats this about a skate park?

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper

"My nuts are allways loose, i have to twist them with my fingers"
-Spencer
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

teachndad
June 1st 06, 02:05 PM
Evan Byrne wrote:
> I will be there.
>
> Rod, whats this about a skate park?

A city run skate park is/was located about two miles away last year.
When I went by there about two months ago, it was all torn up, but it
looked like they were making it bigger. I haven't been by there since,
so I don't know how it is progressing.

Even if it's finished, I don't know about unicyles getting in there.

A few of the riders went over to the skatepark last year after the
Roundup to skateboard.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

teachndad
June 1st 06, 02:06 PM
I t w i l l b e 1 0 4 D e g r e e s o n S a t u r d a y .
: e e k : E v e r y o n e b e r e a d y f o r h e a t !

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

entropy
June 1st 06, 06:15 PM
teachndad wrote:
> I t w i l l b e 1 0 4 D e g r e e s o n S a t u r d a y .
> : e e k : E v e r y o n e b e r e a d y f o r h e a t !

Holey cows! Everyone bring lots of water and electrolytes, even for
the morning MUni! SCORCHER!

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

terrybigwheel
June 1st 06, 06:23 PM
MAybe the weatherman has had a change of heart. I just checked the
outlook for Saturday, and it WILL be hot, but "only" in the low 90's:
<Saturday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper
60s.>

For those of us doing the muni deal, are we going to *first* be meeting
at the Rocky Peak offramp, just across the bridge, *then* drive down to
the bottom shuttle point?? Also, Should we bring our own folding chairs
and umbrellas for the Basin meet?:D Sunscreen, water, Food!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

vivalargo
June 1st 06, 06:47 PM
For those doing the muni ride, just meet at the Rocky Point Turnout at 8
and we'll work it out from there.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

terrybigwheel
June 1st 06, 06:58 PM
vivalargo wrote:
> For those doing the muni ride, just meet at the Rocky Point Turnout at 8
> and we'll work it out from there.
>
> JL

I assume you mean "Rocky Peak", where we met the last time I was there?

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

teachndad
June 1st 06, 08:24 PM
terrybigwheel wrote:
> MAybe the weatherman has had a change of heart. I just checked the
> outlook for Saturday, and it WILL be hot, but "only" in the low 90's:
> <Saturday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper
> 60s.>
>
> Also, Should we bring our own folding chairs and umbrellas for the
> Basin meet?:D Sunscreen, water, Food!

My temp report came from channel 5 this morning at 6:00 am. If it does
drop to the 90's that will make a difference. There is usually a
slight breeze off the lake, too. My wife pointed out yesteday that
channel 5 had higher temps than the AOL weather by as much as 10
degrees, and we couldn't figure out why there was such a difference. I
hope your weather report is more accurate.

Terry,
You can bring chairs and umbrellas and use as needed. It will be a big
help. I usually try to get one picnic table, but that's not enough
seating. People can sit on the grass, too.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

vivalargo
June 2nd 06, 06:10 PM
For all of you planning on joining us for the Muni ride on Sat. morning
(remember, be at the Rocky Peak parking area at 8) if you're going to
be late or get lost, et al, you can call me on my cell phone:

310 428-7104

John Long

--
vivalargo