PDA

View Full Version : How heavy are disk brakes?

novice
May 9th 06, 10:10 PM
My rear v-brakes dont last more a half hour in the rain. can you get
disk brakes just for the rear of the bike. The front brakes are not so
bad. Only had bike couple weeks and there are big grooves in rims.

MattB
May 9th 06, 10:17 PM
novice wrote:
> My rear v-brakes dont last more a half hour in the rain. can you get
> disk brakes just for the rear of the bike. The front brakes are not so
> bad. Only had bike couple weeks and there are big grooves in rims.

They vary. I have some Maguras (Marta SL) that are lighter than XT V
brakes, but in general discs will be heavier than V's. How much heavier
depends on which V's and which discs.

FWIW, all the bikes I've seen with one V and one disc have the disc on
the front since that's where you should be applying the majority of your
braking power anyway.

Not sure what you had going on with yours, but maybe the rims or pads
got contaminated with something?

Matt

ChainSmoker
May 10th 06, 12:12 AM
novice wrote:
> My rear v-brakes dont last more a half hour in the rain. can you get
> disk brakes just for the rear of the bike. The front brakes are not so
> bad. Only had bike couple weeks and there are big grooves in rims.

Besides the weight, yup - they will weigh more... You will have a
difference in the "feel" between the two different systems to consider
also...

novice
May 10th 06, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure if grooves were there from beginning. I have gone through
3 brake pad sets in couple of weeks. I ride in rainy and dirty
environment.
Aluminum rims seem to be problematic or Im a lousy rider.

G.T.
May 10th 06, 05:43 AM
novice wrote:
> My rear v-brakes dont last more a half hour in the rain. can you get
> disk brakes just for the rear of the bike. The front brakes are not so
> bad. Only had bike couple weeks and there are big grooves in rims.

How about posting some pics? Grooves in the rims are most likely from
rocks imbedded in brake pads unless you are truly wearing new pads down
to nothing in a 1/2 hour.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

May 10th 06, 08:55 AM
I use V brakes on my commuter and a set of pads last me about 6 months,
And I go out in every kind weather you can dream up. Maybe you should
clean your pads & rim after a wet ride like I do.

May 11th 06, 09:30 AM
wet grit acts like sanding paste, so everytime you apply your brake you
are in effect grinding away at your brake pads and rims. The bigger
grooves were probably caused by bigger bits of grit stuck between the
pads and rim. Discs being further away from the tyres/dirt should stay
cleaner and will last longer in terms of braking performance and
lifetime. For me, that alone made me choose disc over Vs when I built
up my bike. Discs have their problems too but when working I find them
much better than the Vs.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home