PDA

View Full Version : BUC - Motivation for Unicycling!?

steve.colligan
May 10th 06, 09:54 PM
Motivation for Unicycling!?

I am doing some research for my PhD into what motivates people to learn
to ride a unicycle and then continue with unicycling. Learning to ride
a unicycle is a difficult skill to master. It is something which takes
time, patience and perseverance. So what motivated you? Was it the
challenge to yourself, the desire to be different from the crowd or
something else?

If you’d be willing to tell me about your motivation or have an email
dialogue with me about it then I’d be really grateful. If so please
fill in a contact form at the BUC this weekend so I can talk to you at
a later date.

At the BUC I particularly want to find out how people ‘see’ their
unicycle (or unicycles) and how they describe their relationship with
them. Is your unicycle important to you because of the pleasure or
satisfaction you get from riding it? Are you proud of owning a unicycle
– or embarrassed to admit it? Is it a ‘special’ possession of yours
that has pride of place in your home, garage or shed, or is my husband
(Steve Colligan) the only obsessive unicyclist in the UK?!

I’m looking for volunteers at the BUC who will:
1. pose with their unicycle for a photo,
2. describe how they feel about their unicycle, using the photo as a
prompt.

If you’re willing to give me 10 minutes of your time that would be
great! Please come and find me or look out for me over the weekend.

Wendy Bignold

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
steve.colligan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/292

epistolize
May 10th 06, 10:22 PM
i'll do it if i come across you:)

--
epistolize

my sig is a squiggle, but my keyboard like a trusty secretary always
organises my thoughts into lines of legible text in files

anti-capitalisation, anti-capitalism; neither for nor against always
work well

"Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?" 'Bite Me'
epistolize's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11876

amanda.gallacher
May 10th 06, 10:26 PM
i'd do it if i see you too. though i'm only little so you might be
looking for older people :)

--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.uk.com)
"i cant describe the pain... well, its like childbirth on my leg" -
Mike (swarbrim)
" I wish i didnt have a penis..." - Mike (swarbrim)
- add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

keg
May 10th 06, 10:37 PM
Hi Wendy,

I'll definitely give you an Engineer's view, but I would be more
interested if you interviewed T&D without me being present - but only
if you tell me their answers :) I would love to know their motivation.

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

sarah.miller
May 10th 06, 10:55 PM
Wendy
I won't have my own uni with me as I'm not surposed to be riding at the
mo, but happy to talk.
Sarah

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

zippy
May 10th 06, 11:00 PM
can't miss me - i'll be wearing the zippy bag :D

I'll do it.

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

unicus
May 10th 06, 11:48 PM
> or is my husband (Steve Colligan) the only obsessive unicyclist in the
> UK?!

Not a chance. :D

> I’m looking for volunteers at the BUC who will:
> 1. pose with their unicycle for a photo,
> 2. describe how they feel about their unicycle, using the photo as a
> prompt.

Are you sure you don't mean unicycles ;)

See you at BUC

--
unicus

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

paul royle
May 11th 06, 08:21 AM
Hi Wendy, I'll do it.

Paul

--
paul royle
paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

cathwood
May 11th 06, 08:30 AM
I'll do it but I'm slightly dubious that people will consciously know
their motivation, although they may have a narrative about it.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

nickjb
May 11th 06, 08:57 AM
steve.colligan wrote:
> Motivation for Unicycling!?
> 1. pose with their unicycle for a photo,
>
> Wendy Bignold

:eek:

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=110770&g2]

--
nickjb
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

olwyn
May 11th 06, 09:38 AM
nickjb wrote:
> :eek:
>
> [image:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=110770&g2]

Hell, there is posing AND POSING. :D Loving it :D

--
olwyn

Why does life steam passed so fast when your enjoying yourself?
olwyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12162

steve.colligan
May 11th 06, 01:01 PM
Hi Nick,

I know you've had your haircut really short recently, but I'm sure this
isn't you!!!!:D

See you tomorrow.
Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
steve.colligan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/292

Eddbmxdude
May 11th 06, 01:04 PM
I knew "the" harper pic would show up sooner or later!
See you guys tomorrow.

Ride on!
Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

"May you tread lightly through the dark time of the day and may your
nose stay chunk-free." - Mrboogiejuice

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home