PDA

View Full Version : Telford Owners--Upgrade questions

pkittle
May 10th 06, 09:52 PM
Hi all--

I ride a relatively "stock" Telford that I bought probably in '99 or
'00. It has a 26" rim (Sun Doublewide), 2.6 Gazz, and 170 cranks on a
Suzue hub custom-hardened by Geoff Farraghan (the maker of the
Telfords). It also has a pivot-point suspension seatpost (Thudbuster, I
think), and an air saddle (Miyata base, GB4 stiffener, Reeder handle,
Roach cover). It's served me well, and I don't have any issues with it.
I don't do anything particularly aggressive--I hop up and down steps,
and do drops in the <3' range, but that's about it--but ride pretty
rough trails regularly. I guess you'd say I'm a cross-country rider,
primarily.

That said, I've been hearing some regular "tink" sounds lately. I
thought it was probably either a pedal or a spoke, but maintenance on
both of these areas didn't take care of the sound. The cranks are still
solidly on the wheel, nothing's bent that I can see, but I'm wondering
if the wheel is going to need replacement soon. Have others upgraded
their Telford frames with more modern wheelsets? I have no idea if
there might be compatibility issues or not, or what might be the best
upgrade path.

I see a few possibilities. I could replace the hub/cranks/rim/tire
piecemeal as I run into problems. I wondered about using the UDC "wide"
hub, which seems to be pretty similar to the hub I currently have (and
which has served me well so far), but don't know if anybody can say
anything about its quality/suitability. If I go splined, I'll probably
also go cheap (Qu-Ax). If I end up rebuilding/building a new wheel, I
suspect I'll go to a 24/3 setup.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other Telford owners have done to upgrade
their munis, and if anyone who has one of these curvy beauties can shed
light on things I ought to be considering. I really don't want to
upgrade to an entirely new uni, as I really like how light the Telford
is and how carefully and lovingly it was crafted. Any advice?

Thanks,
Peter

--
pkittle

*========
Peter Kittle
Chico, CA
========*
pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111

U-Turn
May 10th 06, 10:51 PM
I have basically the same setup on my Pashley frame. I'd love to work
on your uni or rebuild your wheel, or whatever... 'contact me'
) if you'd like.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'