PDA

View Full Version : Elderly unicyclist joining the community

tedward
May 11th 06, 09:31 AM
Hello,
I'm an elderly recreational road cyclist recently attracted to
unicycling.
I have 24" and 28" unicycles which I use on a daily basis.
My skill base is not great but I'm keen to learn and practice.
As far as I know there is no other unicyclist in my small town, so I
have found this forum very helpful.
Thanks to all you contributors for your input to the forum.

Best Regards - keep writing and keep practicing.

Ted

--
tedward
tedward's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12206

dan de man
May 11th 06, 10:04 AM
well since GILD aint here I finally get to say
"Well thats one more of us and one less of them"

yeah I got in first yeah well anyways welcome to the forum
enjoy your stay and its good to have another NZer round here
*whoops loudly*

--
dan de man

Jethro wrote:
> Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.
>
> Help yourself to anything in the fridge.
>
> And please don't feed the clowns.
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

MattyJ
May 11th 06, 10:49 AM
Welcome! :D

--
MattyJ

If you're too open minded....your brain will fall out.

MattyJ's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11583

cathwood
May 11th 06, 06:21 PM
Welcome.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

underdog
May 11th 06, 08:39 PM
while, you already know how great the people here are.:)

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

podzol
May 12th 06, 12:40 AM
Hey! Welcome aboard.

Hope you enjoy it here!
Blake

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Tim Morin
May 12th 06, 01:01 AM
Hi.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

Chrashing
May 12th 06, 02:00 AM
Hello Tedward, Welcome!

Elderly??????? Not when your on top of the wheel!

Enjoy!

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicycle enthusiast... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Erin
May 12th 06, 03:27 AM
Hey glad to see you here! Welcome. :D

--
Erin

GILD
"Would the old saying 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' ever be accepted
in our modern techological world?"
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

bugman
May 12th 06, 03:34 AM
tedward wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm an elderly recreational road cyclist recently attracted to
> unicycling.
> I have 24" and 28" unicycles which I use on a daily basis.
> My skill base is not great but I'm keen to learn and practice.
> As far as I know there is no other unicyclist in my small town, so I
> have found this forum very helpful.
> Thanks to all you contributors for your input to the forum.
>
> Best Regards - keep writing and keep practicing.
>
> Ted

The good thing about being the only unicyclist in your small town, is
that you are also the best.:D

There is definitely some good unicyclists in NZ. Gizmoduck on this
forum is the first that comes to mind. He also happens to be a world
record holder. Defenitely keep practicing, from another older
unicyclist.

--
bugman

*-NAUCC 2006 -*

Klaas Bil
May 12th 06, 07:40 AM
On Thu, 11 May 2006 03:31:16 -0500, tedward wrote:

>I'm an elderly recreational road cyclist recently attracted to
>unicycling.

Welcome! And if I may ask: how 'elderly' are you? (Or did I miss it?)
I'm 52.

tedward
May 12th 06, 09:27 AM
Klaas Bil wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 03:31:16 -0500, tedward wrote:
>
> >I'm an elderly recreational road cyclist recently attracted to
> >unicycling.
>
> Welcome! And if I may ask: how 'elderly' are you? (Or did I miss it?)
> I'm 52.

Thanks everyone for the welcome to the community.

To Klaas Bil:
Elderly in my case means 68 in July. Bought a mail order learners 24"
just over a year ago when I read that "anyone can learn to unicycle;
all you need is persistence". I believed that dictum must therefore
include me as I can be persistent. I sure needed to call on the
persistence as after 2 weeks I was still nowhere. So here's how I now
view the matter:

THIS IS A BIT OF A RANT.
So is unicycling worth the hassle of learning?
Too right it is. It proves to be a delightful skill to use and a
wonderful core body exercise as well.
I'm glad that it's hard to learn and unfashionable. Keeps the sport
fresh and clean and beyond the comprehension of outsiders and the
posturing of poseurs.
If people think its stupid - So what?
Well, they haven't known that transcendent experience that comes once
the brain has eventually clicked and you KNOW that you can unicycle.
That is it's own reward.
Took me all of three weeks to learn which I guess is nothing clever.
But learning to unicycle is a neat accomplishment no matter how long it
takes.
Because thereafter unicycling becomes a source of endless challenge and
further enjoyment.
You meet those challenges at your own pace, and it doesn't cost the
earth either.
Wish that I'd tackled learning when I was somewhat younger; but better
late than never.
Now - back to my idling practice. Shall I use the 24 or the 28?

Cheers Ted

--
tedward
tedward's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12206

swarbrim
May 12th 06, 09:36 AM
tedward wrote:
> Now - back to my idling practice. Shall I use the 24 or the 28?

Use the 24".

Welcome to the fora, brilliant place. Have a look at Defect or any
other of the DVD's. They sell them at UDC ( www.unicycle.com ), Great
to meet you, I'm Mike.

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at

'i like things big' Amanda

'I prefer "badunkadunk", myself' Dudewithasock
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

andrew_carter
May 12th 06, 11:38 AM
Nice to meet you. You might find this article interesting -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/keith.htm

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

Wheel Rider
May 12th 06, 02:26 PM
tedward wrote:
> ... Elderly in my case means 68 in July. ... Cheers Ted

Well, that answers one of my questions. I have been wondering if I
would still be able to do this at age 60. Looks like that is a good
possibility.

I learned to ride at age 50.

Welcome aboard.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

underdog
May 12th 06, 04:25 PM
If you learned to ride in 3 weeks you've done very well indeed.:D Some
take MUCH longer. It took me 8 months (I've never been very athletic).
Others have taken even longer. I believe, the longer it takes the
sweeter the victory. I know there are at least a few on this forum in
their 60s and more than a few in their 50s. Unicycling keeps us all
quite young at heart.

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home