PDA

View Full Version : B.A.H.No H*lmet Mother's Day

May 11th 06, 10:01 PM
In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
helmet.

B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression

x1134x
May 11th 06, 11:46 PM
wrote:
> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
> helmet.
>

> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression

Its a good idea everywhere, but where is wearing a bicycle helmet a
LAW?

x1134x

Andy H
May 11th 06, 11:48 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
> helmet.
>

> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression

Nah you're alright, I'll continue to happily wear mine. I' like my kids to
know me as a mobile normal(ish) perosn thanks. My helmets have already saved
my nogging fromserious damage on a couple of occasions and I'm happier with
one on.

Sorni
May 11th 06, 11:58 PM
Little Jimmy Buttpacker {tm} poked his head out the crack, and wrote:

> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
> helmet.

Humbug.

tom
May 12th 06, 05:36 AM
x1134x (!) wrote: If that's the case you are biking out of
control.<snip
Hmmm,
out of control, you say? I was glad to have mine when climbing at a
very slow pace up a narrow chute. Slammed the helmet into an
outcropping, leaving a dent about a half-inch deep in the side. Woulda
been my cranium. You just never know when that hunk of polystyrene and
thermoplastic will come in handy, even when you "think" you're in
control. Trust me, control is a subjective thing sometimes. Try
skydiving. Tom

May 12th 06, 09:22 AM
Helmet smelmet you better wear that helmet. Watch out for that low
branch. You don't even have to crash for it to save your nogin.

x1134x
May 12th 06, 10:33 AM
tom wrote:
> x1134x (!) wrote: If that's the case you are biking out of
> control.<snip
> Hmmm,
> out of control, you say? I was glad to have mine when climbing at a
> very slow pace up a narrow chute. Slammed the helmet into an
> outcropping, leaving a dent about a half-inch deep in the side. Woulda
> been my cranium. You just never know when that hunk of polystyrene and
> thermoplastic will come in handy, even when you "think" you're in
> control. Trust me, control is a subjective thing sometimes. Try
> skydiving. Tom

Point taken, but biking out of control does not necessarily mean too
fast, When you start to go to slow for gyroscopic force, you can be
out of control too, especially on upward climbs. Be ready to bail if
you start getting that slow. If you DO have a problem then the only
thing that should fall should be your bike. You should still be able
to walk away from it. Sometimes I hop off the back after attempting to
go up something I don't have the muscles to do.

Now skydiving? That's out of control {:-)

x1134x

x1134x
May 12th 06, 10:39 AM
wrote:
> Helmet smelmet you better wear that helmet. Watch out for that low
> branch. You don't even have to crash for it to save your nogin.

OMG! You DO need to not be paying any attention to what you are doing
though. A branch? Really? Couldn't see it was head level before
striking it? Wow there must be alot of hot women to gawk at on your
rides. {:-)

I *DO* wear a helmet *ALWAYS*, I just never *need* it.

I needed it snowboarding though. Man I was glad i got a multi-sport
helmet the first time my head bounced off the ice, on the bunny slope.

OK I submit that there is never a time when it is ok not to wear a
helmet and there is a time when it's excusable to *need* a helmet: when
you are learning HOW to do the activity that requires the helmet.

And if you say you're always LEARNING, then you're just a little slow,
its a bicycle for pete's sake.

x1134x

ray
May 12th 06, 11:11 AM
x1134x wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
>>B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
>>moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
>>Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
>>far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
>>helmet.
>>

>>B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression
>

> Its a good idea everywhere, but where is wearing a bicycle helmet a
> LAW?
>
> x1134x

Here in Australia. And though I'm not overly fond of them, I would have
been killed at least twice had I not been wearing one. So if you wanna
be free to be killed by bozos in land barges, you go right ahead...

Marty
May 12th 06, 11:39 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
> helmet.
>

> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression

Darwin would be proud.

Tim
May 12th 06, 12:22 PM
On 2006-05-12, ray > wrote:
> x1134x wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
>>>B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
>>>moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
>>>Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
>>>far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
>>>helmet.
>>>

>>>B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression
>>

>> Its a good idea everywhere, but where is wearing a bicycle helmet a
>> LAW?
>>
>> x1134x
>>
> Here in Australia. And though I'm not overly fond of them, I would have
> been killed at least twice had I not been wearing one. So if you wanna
> be free to be killed by bozos in land barges, you go right ahead...

I understand that NZ and some US states also have mandatory
helmet laws for some or all age groups.

Not wishing to pour fuel on a possible helmet flame war but
the standards to which bike helmets are made and tested mean that
they're exceedingly unlikely to be able to save a a life in a crash
with a motor vehicle. This is true of Snell, US and EU bike helmet
standards.

The energies involved in collisions do, I understand, result
in the brittle failure of polystyrene as which point a helmet is
doing no good at absorbing the energy of a collision. Tht's not to say
that they won't do the trick to save you from cuts and grazes in a low
speed topple but saving lives is pretty much beyond them.
--
Tim.

Mark Hickey
May 12th 06, 01:52 PM
Tim > wrote:

> The energies involved in collisions do, I understand, result
>in the brittle failure of polystyrene as which point a helmet is
>doing no good at absorbing the energy of a collision. Tht's not to say
>that they won't do the trick to save you from cuts and grazes in a low
>speed topple but saving lives is pretty much beyond them.

So what do you suppose would have happened to me if I had left my
helmet at home on this particular day:

http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

But having just participated (and exited) a HUMONGOUS helmet war on
r.b.t already this week, my next action will be to put this thread on
ignore. It became obvious that although my position is:

1) I'm anti-mandatory helmet law
2) I don't think that helmets can save you in all cases
3) however, they are designed to lessen the deceleration of your brain
when the foam compresses / crushes, even if the event is beyond the
design criteria (see link above). If this wasn't so, why would
virtually every bit of sensitive electronics shipped be surrounded by
the same material.

Wear one / don't wear one... your choice. But I'm glad I was wearing
one three years and four days ago.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

MattB
May 12th 06, 04:00 PM
ray wrote:
> x1134x wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
>>> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
>>> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
>>> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
>>> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
>>> helmet.
>>>

>>> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression
>>

>> Its a good idea everywhere, but where is wearing a bicycle helmet a
>> LAW?
>>
>> x1134x
>>
> Here in Australia. And though I'm not overly fond of them, I would have
> been killed at least twice had I not been wearing one. So if you wanna
> be free to be killed by bozos in land barges, you go right ahead...

Ooh, that would be twice as bad as just being killed once!

Matt

JD
May 12th 06, 09:54 PM
john poulos aka puddinhead wrote his usual tripe:
> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
> helmet.
>

> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression

How are those NJ sidewalks?

JD

JD
May 12th 06, 09:59 PM
x1134x wrote:
> And if you say you're always LEARNING, then you're just a little slow,
> its a bicycle for pete's sake.

I want you to follow me down this one trail near Las Vegas to see how
much you don't need to learn on a bicycle. Bring an ambulance.

JD

JD
May 13th 06, 12:48 AM
x1134x wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > x1134x wrote:
> > > And if you say you're always LEARNING, then you're just a little slow,
> > > its a bicycle for pete's sake.
> >

> > I want you to follow me down this one trail near Las Vegas to see how
> > much you don't need to learn on a bicycle. Bring an ambulance.
> >
> > JD
>
> I know there's plenty of terrain I can't handle. But that's my point.
> You should know your abilities, and not put yourself in a situation
> where you would *need* the skull protector. Smart things like don't
> follow a seasoned veteran like JD down a trial you've never ridden.
> {:-) Same thing holds true (even more so) with dirt bikes.

How do you tie your shoes in the morning? It's people like you that
thank God every day for Velcro.

JD

Tim
May 13th 06, 10:32 PM
On 2006-05-12, Mark Hickey > wrote:
> Tim > wrote:
>
>> The energies involved in collisions do, I understand, result
>>in the brittle failure of polystyrene as which point a helmet is
>>doing no good at absorbing the energy of a collision. Tht's not to say
>>that they won't do the trick to save you from cuts and grazes in a low
>>speed topple but saving lives is pretty much beyond them.
>
> So what do you suppose would have happened to me if I had left my
> helmet at home on this particular day:
>
> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
>
> But having just participated (and exited) a HUMONGOUS helmet war on
> r.b.t already this week, my next action will be to put this thread on
> ignore. It became obvious that although my position is:
>
> 1) I'm anti-mandatory helmet law
> 2) I don't think that helmets can save you in all cases
> 3) however, they are designed to lessen the deceleration of your brain
> when the foam compresses / crushes, even if the event is beyond the
> design criteria (see link above). If this wasn't so, why would
> virtually every bit of sensitive electronics shipped be surrounded by
> the same material.
>
> Wear one / don't wear one... your choice. But I'm glad I was wearing
> one three years and four days ago.

Mark,
I followed the thread on r.b.t, have seen those pictures and
understand your position. I also understand why you stopped
participating in the thread and have no wish to be drawn into another.

Having had crashes at similar speeds (and had bashes on the head
playing field hockey) and dicussed such crashes with my brother (a
medical doctor) and people at work (studying pedestrian impacts with
vehicles for an automotive company) I would guess that had you not been
wearing a helmet you'd have received a nasty scalp would and a thumping
headache/ concussion. I don't think your helmet saved your life but it
does appear that it saved you from a head wound which would have been
unpleasant to say the least.

None of the people I've talked to with a professional interest
in such things or the papers I've read lead me to believe that a bike
helmet will save my life though it may save me from a headache, cuts
or abrasions.

For the record, 1) I'm against madatory helmets laws and 2) I'm
in favour of people making informed choices about the benefits or
otherwise of helmet wearing and then making their own minds up. I'm told
nature has done a pretty good job of packaging our brains for us. Also for
the record I do own a helmet though it only gets worn when it's a
requirement of the venue.

Tim.
--
Tim.

Andy H
May 14th 06, 08:55 AM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Andy H wrote:
>
>> Nah you're alright, I'll continue to happily wear mine. I' like my kids
>> know me as a mobile normal(ish) perosn thanks. My helmets have already
>> saved
>> my nogging fromserious damage on a couple of occasions and I'm happier
>> with
>> one on.
>
> If that's the case you are biking out of control. I would almost call
> you a skidiot. I'm *NOT* saying don't wear a helmet, but if you
> actually have to use it, you're biking out of control. Reign it in a
> little.
>
> x1134x

X - Now you're just being silly, you don't know my riding style. I'm
definately not a skidiot or out of control, indeed I'd class myself as a
world class tourist, I cycle at a most sedate pace (I'm not an athlete).

Haven't you ever just had a spill in the wrong place?

:-)
Andy H

Marty
May 14th 06, 01:50 PM
"Andy H" > wrote in message

> Haven't you ever just had a spill in the wrong place?

I'm still looking for the RIGHT place.

Marty

Andy H
May 14th 06, 07:56 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message

> "Andy H" > wrote in message
>>
>> Haven't you ever just had a spill in the wrong place?
>>

> I'm still looking for the RIGHT place.
>
> Marty

Bwahah I hadn't thought about it like that :-)

Andy

Dave W
May 15th 06, 02:30 PM
"Andy H" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> In order to honor our wonderful mothers who brought us into the world,
>> B.A.H. (Bicyclists Against Helmets) is urging all cyclists and their
>> moms to ride on Sunday without helmets.
>> Your mom gave birth to you without wearing a helemt and childbirth is
>> far more risky than cycling!!! Fight helmet laws by riding without a
>> helmet.
>>

>> B.A.H. - Protecting Cyclists' Freedom of Expression
>>
> Nah you're alright, I'll continue to happily wear mine. I' like my kids to
> know me as a mobile normal(ish) perosn thanks. My helmets have already
> saved my nogging fromserious damage on a couple of occasions and I'm
> happier with one on.

Thanks for reminding me....

anyone got any good ideas for a new brain bucket for someone who does mostly
x-c, with a little D/H mixed in. I recently (like last week) laid my bike
down at about 15-16 mph on some staw/leaf covered singletrack and sprained
my wrist (I thought it was broke!) and my head smacked against a large rock
in the middle of the trail. Let me just say that the grounds comes up
FAST!!! Anyhow, I knew I hit my head, but it didn't hurt...My wrist/hand was
IMMEDIATLY painful! I was 9 miles into a 15 mile ride and had to ride out.
(Thank god for the butter that is the bomber and it's ability to absorb the
hits!!)

Here's a shot of the helmet, and my hand for those that are into that sort
of thing:

http://tinyurl.com/zs6lt

http://tinyurl.com/jsxtq

in short, I'd say I'm keeping the lid on Thanks anyway!! My mom appreciates
it!

Dave

Dave W
May 15th 06, 02:31 PM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Andy H wrote:
>
>> Nah you're alright, I'll continue to happily wear mine. I' like my kids
>> know me as a mobile normal(ish) perosn thanks. My helmets have already
>> saved
>> my nogging fromserious damage on a couple of occasions and I'm happier
>> with
>> one on.
>
> If that's the case you are biking out of control. I would almost call
> you a skidiot. I'm *NOT* saying don't wear a helmet, but if you
> actually have to use it, you're biking out of control. Reign it in a
> little.
>
> x1134x

not always bub!!

Ride-A-Lot
May 15th 06, 02:59 PM
Dave W wrote:
> anyone got any good ideas for a new brain bucket for someone who does mostly
> x-c, with a little D/H mixed in. I recently (like last week) laid my bike
> down at about 15-16 mph on some staw/leaf covered singletrack and sprained
> my wrist (I thought it was broke!) and my head smacked against a large rock
> in the middle of the trail. Let me just say that the grounds comes up
> FAST!!! Anyhow, I knew I hit my head, but it didn't hurt...My wrist/hand was
> IMMEDIATLY painful! I was 9 miles into a 15 mile ride and had to ride out.
> (Thank god for the butter that is the bomber and it's ability to absorb the
> hits!!)
>
> Here's a shot of the helmet, and my hand for those that are into that sort
> of thing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/zs6lt
>
> http://tinyurl.com/jsxtq
>
> in short, I'd say I'm keeping the lid on Thanks anyway!! My mom appreciates
> it!
>
> Dave

Go get that hand looked at. Doesn't look like a sprain to me.

As for lids, my favorite has always been the Giro Havoc. Great price,
comfortable, protective, and not heavy. I have an E2 as well (very
expensive) but wear the Havoc more as I think it fits better (for me at
least).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws