PDA

View Full Version : Coker Muni in the Mud [Video]

nathan
May 12th 06, 07:28 AM
I'm experimenting with combining photos and videos into slideshows. If
you're interested, take a look at this first effort:
http://tinyurl.com/ojqab and let me know what you think. The file is
MPEG2, just over 50MB - 640x480, 2:49.

It's hard shooting while riding on steep muddy terrain - do you think
the camera shake is too much to be watchable? Any criticism is
welcome.

This ride was last month, in Santa Cruz, California with 8 local Coker
Muni fans. The ride is about 20 miles (half on dirt), and such a blast
to ride in rainy muddy conditions.

Thanks for checking it out,
Nathan

--
nathan
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

norry
May 12th 06, 10:29 AM
That was good Nathan, I for one liked the combination of the videos and
the pictures. Camera shake was acceptable i felt.

I would like to see more on ride footage videos especially when it
involves other riders, it gives a different perspective to all those
fixed camera tripod shots. Also it gives a good feeling of just how
high up you are!

--
norry
norry's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6901

aspenmike
May 12th 06, 12:59 PM
Fun, that was fun to watch. Camera shake was fine. thx for sharin.

--
aspenmike
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

U-Turn
May 12th 06, 01:34 PM
Nice, Nathan! I enjoyed the mix of media types. If there is a
higher-rez version I'd love to see that. It looks like you guys are
having a great time. That uphill with the erosion channels looked
really tough!

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Brian MacKenzie
May 12th 06, 02:18 PM
i'm a big fan of pic/vid combo's, good stuff!

--
Brian MacKenzie

Justonewheel: 'Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to
move the car and ran over the uni.'

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

lucky_8
May 14th 06, 12:38 PM
that had to be really fun

--
lucky_8

life is a whole lot more fun when you live it on just one wheel.

unicycle for christ
lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685

JustOneWheel
May 15th 06, 12:56 AM
lucky_8 wrote:
> that had to be really fun

NICE!!!!!!!!!

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

JustOneWheel
May 15th 06, 12:57 AM
N i c e ! ! ! ! ! ! !

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

carsonpalooza
May 15th 06, 01:18 AM
that looks like a lot of fun, how fast do you think you were going?

--
carsonpalooza

I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
That site is making me drool.
-Dave aka fcwegnm0b

harper wrote:
> This is why Canada wants you so badly.

'ARGHHHHHHH' (http://WWW.nickjantz.2ya.com)
carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

Spudman
May 15th 06, 03:58 AM
Nice editing, the pictures and videos went well together and it was fun
to watch.

Did you have the camera attached to your helmet or were you just
carrying it?

--
Spudman

Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

nathan
May 16th 06, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the comments - glad you guys liked it. It's just a first
attempt and I've already learned more to make them better.

About speed, on a fast downhill section, we'll go up to about 15mph - I
suppose a normal speed is 8-10mph on dirt. We are using 152mm cranks
generally for this type of riding so can't go all that fast, but the
bumpy dirt makes it feel fast, that's for sure.

It's funny, but that particular ride was the one that I compared a
ForeRunner '305' (http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner305/) to a
'301' (http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner301/) so you can see
the speed, heartrate, elevation, maps, etc 'here (305)'
(http://tinyurl.com/qzofy) and 'here (301)' (http://tinyurl.com/f2exl).
Click on the chart marked "Everything". The dirt section is from about
mile 5 to mile 13. It was starting to rain at the end so you can see we
blazed starting around mile 15 - Beau was inspired.

The camera is a simple digital camera, hand-held (Nikon 7900, 7MP). It
looks like helmet-cam footage because I'm so high up on the Coker. To
see what I mean, look at 'this photo'
(http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1207132/3/56476023/Large) I took of
Kris while we were riding Cokers - doesn't he look small? It's just the
angle.

Dave, you wanted a higher-res version? That is 640x480 encoded at over
2mbps. It's over 50MB for less than 3 minutes. I need to experiment
with other encoders so I can get the size smaller. Although these shows
are AWESOME shown on a big TV from a DVD. That's the real way to see
them. I have three more shows I'm working on and will put them up on
the gallery when I have a way to get them small enough (don't worry,
I'll never go below 640x480 resolution). I could experiment with
800x600, but the video clips are limited to 640x480 so I thought that
was best.

---Nathan

--
nathan