PDA

View Full Version : short vs long v-brakes: what is the difference?

novice
May 13th 06, 01:10 AM
I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
wondering why.

Sorni
May 13th 06, 02:55 AM
novice wrote:
> I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
> wondering why.

One's about 10 mm longer.

HTH, BS

p e t e f a g e r l i n
May 13th 06, 03:03 AM
Sorni wrote:
> novice wrote:
>> I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
>> wondering why.
>
> One's about 10 mm longer.
>
> HTH, BS

Don't listen to that poseur.

The difference is that one is about 10 mm shorter.

Sorni
May 13th 06, 03:14 AM
p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> novice wrote:
>>> I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
>>> wondering why.
>>
>> One's about 10 mm longer.
>>
>> HTH, BS
>
> Don't listen to that poseur.
>
> The difference is that one is about 10 mm shorter.

You've got 'em upside down.

SuperPoo
May 13th 06, 03:18 AM
"Sorni" > wrote in message
>p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:
>>>
>>> One's about 10 mm longer.
>>>
>>> HTH, BS
>>
>> Don't listen to that poseur.
>>
>> The difference is that one is about 10 mm shorter.
>
> You've got 'em upside down.

No, no, you both are wrong. The difference is 5mm more on each end of the
longer ones. It is done this way to maitain proper balance.

Steve

Slartibartfast
May 13th 06, 03:30 AM
SuperPoo wrote:
> "Sorni" > wrote in message
>
>>p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

>>>Don't listen to that poseur.
>>>
>>>The difference is that one is about 10 mm shorter.
>>
>>You've got 'em upside down.
>

> No, no, you both are wrong. The difference is 5mm more on each end of the
> longer ones. It is done this way to maitain proper balance.
>
> Steve

Huh, and here I was, thinkin' that they added the extra 10mm in the middle.

di
May 13th 06, 03:37 AM
"Slartibartfast" > wrote in message
> SuperPoo wrote:

>>>You've got 'em upside down.
>>

>> No, no, you both are wrong. The difference is 5mm more on each end of the
>> longer ones. It is done this way to maitain proper balance.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Huh, and here I was, thinkin' that they added the extra 10mm in the
> middle.

Who said participation in this group is not an educational experience?
Maybe this is the real reason they invented disc brakes, there was no answer
to settle this argument.

Slartibartfast
May 13th 06, 03:48 AM
di wrote:
> "Slartibartfast" > wrote in message
>
>>SuperPoo wrote:

>>>No, no, you both are wrong. The difference is 5mm more on each end of the
>>>longer ones. It is done this way to maitain proper balance.
>>>
>>>Steve
>>>

>>Huh, and here I was, thinkin' that they added the extra 10mm in the
>>middle.

> Who said participation in this group is not an educational experience?
> Maybe this is the real reason they invented disc brakes, there was no answer
> to settle this argument.

yeah but discs have at 3 different sizes of rotors... the possibilities
boggle the mind

Phil, Squid-in-Training
May 15th 06, 06:42 AM
novice wrote:
> I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
> wondering why.

Hmm... no responses yet.

The short v-brakes are for use with caliper/canti brake levers, whereas the
long ones are for v-brake levers. The v-brake levers pull more cable than
the caliper/canti ones.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

p.a.w.e.l
May 15th 06, 09:16 PM
>The short v-brakes are for use with caliper/canti brake levers, whereas the
>long ones are for v-brake levers. The v-brake levers pull more cable than
>the caliper/canti ones.

and ...? any question more ? lol

Mark Hickey
May 16th 06, 02:24 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" >
wrote:

>novice wrote:
>> I notice they sell to lengths of v-brakes: 62 mm and 72 mm. Just
>> wondering why.
>
>Hmm... no responses yet.
>
>The short v-brakes are for use with caliper/canti brake levers, whereas the
>long ones are for v-brake levers. The v-brake levers pull more cable than
>the caliper/canti ones.

The only thing to consider is that with a short linear ("V") brake,
you'll be somewhat limited on the size tires you can run. I doubt
that'll be a really big issue on a 62mm brake arm though.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

gty
May 23rd 06, 03:02 AM
Thanks. I guess i have caliper brake levers as my bike came with the
shorter v-brakes.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home