PDA

View Full Version : Are there any famous herpetologists in the house?

IT3
May 14th 06, 06:19 PM
I was "Just Riding Along" last night at about 0300 and came across this
bad boy slithering across the trail. Aparently according to the Doc at
the TMC, it is a rather nasty little critter.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165831&stc=1&d=1147626454
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165832&stc=1&d=1147626454
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165833&stc=1&d=1147626454

JD
May 14th 06, 06:23 PM
IT3 wrote:
> I was "Just Riding Along" last night at about 0300 and came across this
> bad boy slithering across the trail. Aparently according to the Doc at
> the TMC, it is a rather nasty little critter.
>
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165831&stc=1&d=1147626454
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165832&stc=1&d=1147626454
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165833&stc=1&d=1147626454

Try posting that photo somewhere one doesn't have to log in to some POS
Orwellian crap site that is loaded with spyware and advertisements to
view a photo.

JD

IT3
May 14th 06, 06:44 PM
<sigh> Okay, fine!

http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper.jpg
http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper1.jpg
http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper2.jpg

Happy now?

--
Sand Squid

Drew
May 14th 06, 07:36 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> IT3 wrote:
>> I was "Just Riding Along" last night at about 0300 and came across this
>> bad boy slithering across the trail. Aparently according to the Doc at
>> the TMC, it is a rather nasty little critter.
>>
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165831&stc=1&d=1147626454
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165832&stc=1&d=1147626454
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165833&stc=1&d=1147626454
>

> Try posting that photo somewhere one doesn't have to log in to some POS
> Orwellian crap site that is loaded with spyware and advertisements to
> view a photo.
>
> JD

Nasty lookin' critter.
I'd say it is definitely poisonous.
Hey, maybe it will taste like chicken..... desert snacks...

Drew

Sorni
May 14th 06, 07:47 PM
JD wrote:
> IT3 wrote:
>> I was "Just Riding Along" last night at about 0300 and came across
>> this bad boy slithering across the trail. Aparently according to the
>> Doc at the TMC, it is a rather nasty little critter.
>>
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165831&stc=1&d=1147626454
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165832&stc=1&d=1147626454
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165833&stc=1&d=1147626454
>

> Try posting that photo somewhere one doesn't have to log in to some
> POS Orwellian crap site that is loaded with spyware and
> advertisements to view a photo.

Hmmm. I just got the picture. (Only clicked the first one.)

IT3
May 14th 06, 08:32 PM
> I'd say it is definitely poisonous.

Yeah, the triangular head kind of gives it away.

> maybe it will taste like chicken.....

I'd rather eat in the DFAC or even an MRE before eating that sucker

Shawn
May 14th 06, 08:56 PM
IT3 wrote:
> <sigh> Okay, fine!
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper1.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper2.jpg
>
> Happy now?

Whip snake.
:-)

Shawn

Drew
May 14th 06, 11:38 PM
"IT3" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> I'd say it is definitely poisonous.
>
> Yeah, the triangular head kind of gives it away.
>
>> maybe it will taste like chicken.....
>
> I'd rather eat in the DFAC or even an MRE before eating that sucker

I often run across Rattlesnakes on on next to the trail. What I do is put
the bike betweenmyself and the snake, a slowly walk on by.
I have to keep a good eye out for snakes on the trail, so as not to run
them over. Usually I'll stop and shoo them away with a stick, ( but not the
Rattlers!)
How did you go about catching it?

Drew

May 14th 06, 11:59 PM
Jake The Snake says don't **** with me and I won't **** with you. What
snake phobea.

G.T.
May 15th 06, 01:14 AM
IT3 wrote:
> I was "Just Riding Along" last night at about 0300 and came across this
> bad boy slithering across the trail. Aparently according to the Doc at
> the TMC, it is a rather nasty little critter.
>
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165831&stc=1&d=1147626454
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165832&stc=1&d=1147626454
> http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165833&stc=1&d=1147626454

Sounds wild but I ain't going to bother with mtbr.com login BS.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

JD
May 15th 06, 08:30 PM
IT3 wrote:
> <sigh> Okay, fine!
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper1.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper2.jpg
>
> Happy now?
>
> --
> Sand Squid

Much bettah, mon. Nasty little bugger, eh?

JD

Werehatrack
May 15th 06, 09:46 PM
On 15 May 2006 12:30:09 -0700, "JD" > wrote:

>IT3 wrote:
>> <sigh> Okay, fine!
>>
>> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper.jpg
>> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper1.jpg
>> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper2.jpg
>>
>> Happy now?
>>
>> --
>> Sand Squid
>

>Much bettah, mon. Nasty little bugger, eh?

You betcha. That one's venom isn't at the level of some of the
nastiest, but it's bad enough, and the little bastid will lie
partially buried in what had been a shady spot in late afternoon;
surprised, it'll immediately strike, usually several times.

I've never been in its part of the world, but I've heard about it from
some folks who have been there.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack
May 15th 06, 09:51 PM
On 14 May 2006 12:32:21 -0700, "IT3" > wrote:

>> I'd say it is definitely poisonous.
>
>Yeah, the triangular head kind of gives it away.

That's not actually a definitive marker in every locale; around here,
we have a non-vemous water snake (with a nasty temper) that has a
similar head shape...and there are a lot of really nasty biters whose
heads aren't in that shape in various parts of the world, as well.

>> maybe it will taste like chicken.....
>
>I'd rather eat in the DFAC or even an MRE before eating that sucker

North American rattlers taste pretty good broiled, and they don't
absorb the residue of their venom, but there are a reportedly a couple
of snakes elsewhere that absorb their prey's poisons and retain them
in their fat for a while. I'd err on the side of caution unless I was
really sure about the bugger's safety.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Raptor
May 16th 06, 05:51 AM
Before the pics were hosted on an "open" server, I signed up for an
account at MTBR. I haven't activated it yet. Should I?

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Dave W
May 16th 06, 12:11 PM
"Raptor" > wrote in message
> Before the pics were hosted on an "open" server, I signed up for an
> account at MTBR. I haven't activated it yet. Should I?
>
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
> trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
> the most insidious of traitors."
> George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

hahahaha, too funny! Especially w/ Dubya's words as a sig...

define Irony!

Mark Hickey
May 16th 06, 01:46 PM
"Dave W" > wrote:

>> I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
>> trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
>> the most insidious of traitors."
>> George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
>
>hahahaha, too funny! Especially w/ Dubya's words as a sig...
>
>define Irony!

Ummm, not knowing the difference between the POTUS and his father?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Ride-A-Lot
May 16th 06, 04:34 PM
Marc wrote:
> JD wrote:
>>> Try posting that photo somewhere one doesn't have to log in to some POS
>>> Orwellian crap site that is loaded with spyware and advertisements to
>>> view a photo.
>
> Raptor wrote:
>> Before the pics were hosted on an "open" server, I signed up for an
>> account at MTBR. I haven't activated it yet. Should I?
>
> Of course. MTBR won't bite.
>
> I'm using Firefox and don't see ANY advertisements at all there.
> JD is still ****ed Francois booted him a year later.
>
> What 'spyware' are they using JD?

If you accept cookies, you are getting one when you register and then
return.

Give me a cookie and I'll rule the world. I prefer chocolate chip. :)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Shaun aRe
May 24th 06, 10:29 AM
"IT3" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> <sigh> Okay, fine!
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper1.jpg
> http://www.shavings.net/images/kuwait/sand_viper2.jpg
>
> Happy now?
>
> --
> Sand Squid

shavings.net?

jgntrmn?

That you JG?

Heheheh, been a while! Good work with the repair and servicing bud - take
care and be well ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Not around here much these days...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home