PDA

View Full Version : Furthest Distance On A Unicycle

iridemymuni
May 15th 06, 12:46 PM
Hey, does anybody know what the "world record" is for the longest
distance travelled on a unicycle is in one trip? Some guy did about
9000 miles across america, is this the furthest? sounds pretty insane

also, what kinda coker can you get that has attachments for small
amounts of luggage, can you get one at all? probably have to custom
make one aye.

thanks

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

iridemymuni
May 15th 06, 01:07 PM
My mate and I (tomtrevor) are thinking of doing 16,000km around
Australia after grade 12 and have a year off before going to
university. Could take a while to go that far aye?

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

GizmoDuck
May 15th 06, 01:10 PM
iridemymuni wrote:
> My mate and I (tomtrevor) are thinking of doing 16,000km around
> Australia after grade 12 and have a year off before going to
> university. Could take a while to go that far aye?

Sounds like fun!

Make sure you document it whether you intend it as a WR ride or not.
Because it will be if you finish :)

Good luck!

--
GizmoDuck

'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

The SINZ Unitour- coming soon......

Denali
May 15th 06, 01:58 PM
iridemymuni wrote:
> My mate and I (tomtrevor) are thinking of doing 16,000km around
> Australia after grade 12 and have a year off before going to
> university. Could take a while to go that far aye?

I was thinking of doing something similar...You guys going unsupported?
That would be a real challenge considering the distance between towns
in Australia....So what are your plans? For my trip I was thinking east
to west but thats way less than 16,000...You are planning a
round-trip(north-south-east-west), aren't you?

--
Denali
Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085

zippy
May 15th 06, 02:06 PM
12 mile / 19km

but i got more paddings, chaffage hurts :)

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

johnfoss
May 15th 06, 06:43 PM
Wally Watts from Edmonton, Alberta rode around the world, about 12,000
miles, from 1976-78. There were one or more gaps in his ride, including
one where he went home for a few months to work and build up his
traveling money. This ride was done on a roughly 42" hard-tire big
wheel, with a suspended seatpost and giant seat like a loaf of bread.
Guinness did not recognize his ride because there was not enough
documentation.

Pietro Biondo of Quebec, Canada rode around North America in 1983-4 on
a custom-made low giraffe (air tire). The giraffe allowed him to use
panniers for his stuff, and carry nothing on his back. His ride was
also around 12,000 miles.

You can read about both of these rides in (back issues of) On One Wheel
from the Unicycling Society of America.

The longest known ride without a dismount (according to the rider and
at least one witness who was there) was 100 miles, in 1987 by Takayuki
Koike of Japan. He set the current Guinness 100 mile record without a
dismount. This was on a 42 or 43" wheel with an air tire.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

kapoute
May 16th 06, 12:32 AM
johnfoss wrote:

> Pietro Biondo of Quebec, Canada

oooh coool ! someone from quebec !!!

Im just wondering if he is still alive.... I would like to talk to him.

--
kapoute

Sorry, I don't speak english !

Julien Renaud
kapoute's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8060

muzzle
May 16th 06, 12:38 AM
GizmoDuck wrote:
> Hah, is that all? I reckon I can do better.

i'd love to see you beat your own record eh, just let me know when you
are going to attept it :P

--
muzzle

sig.
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

terrybigwheel
May 16th 06, 12:42 AM
iridemymuni wrote:
> Some guy did about 9000 miles across america, is this the furthest?
> sounds pretty insane

9,000? It's only 3,000 across. Unless he he did it round trip! :p

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

GizmoDuck
May 16th 06, 04:36 AM
terrybigwheel wrote:
> 9,000? It's only 3,000 across. Unless he he did it round trip! :p

Yes he did

--
GizmoDuck

'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

The SINZ Unitour- coming soon......

dan de man
May 16th 06, 07:27 AM
iridemymuni wrote:
> My mate and I (tomtrevor) are thinking of doing 16,000km around
> Australia after grade 12 and have a year off before going to
> university. Could take a while to go that far aye?

would love to come but im in grade 8 and I dont posses a coker

--
dan de man

Jethro wrote:
> Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.
>
> Help yourself to anything in the fridge.
>
> And please don't feed the clowns.
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

tomtrevor
May 16th 06, 10:03 AM
hey, im Tom Trevor planning the 16,000km trip with Owen Downes
(iridemymuni). we are planning to go clockwise around Australia and
reaching every single capital city. the only problem being that the lap
is 12,875 km which isn't quite the record so we are thinking of going
to like Alice Springs which is in the centre of Australia which will
get th erecord but then it is like 4000km from any where and its desert
and really hot. where do u rekon we could get a 36" unicycle with some
kind of storage space. if its gonna take 6 months we will need to take
a lot of stuff with us.

keep it wheel.

--
tomtrevor

wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

GizmoDuck
May 16th 06, 11:12 AM
tomtrevor wrote:
> hey, im Tom Trevor planning the 16,000km trip with Owen Downes
> (iridemymuni). we are planning to go clockwise around Australia and
> reaching every single capital city. the only problem being that the lap
> is 12,875 km which isn't quite the record so we are thinking of going
> to like Alice Springs which is in the centre of Australia which will
> get th erecord but then it is like 4000km from any where and its desert
> and really hot. where do u rekon we could get a 36" unicycle with some
> kind of storage space. if its gonna take 6 months we will need to take
> a lot of stuff with us.
>
> keep it wheel.

Your best bet would be a support crew in a vehicle following you and
carrying your stuff. I can't imagine lugging the amount of luggage
required to be self sufficient even if you structure it as a
credit-card tour. The distances between towns in the desert will kill
you if you don't carry enough water.

Have a look at the Unicycle photos from the AUT www.aut.unitours.org.
The Minnesota riders fitted panniers to their unicycles. IMHO- I
prefer to have everything I need in a small backpack/camelbak, and the
support vehicle carry the rest. Although having said that panniers
should be OK in Oz as it's pretty flat,....but I don't know how the
other riders managed to lug those panniers over the Swiss Alps :eek:

What sort of time frame are you thinking of doing it in? If you
average 100km/day, it's still going to take close to six months.

--
GizmoDuck

'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

The SINZ Unitour- coming soon......

Denali
May 16th 06, 12:14 PM
A support crew would be the smart choice....But unsupported just has
something to it that makes you want to do it...Like Everest without
oxygen...Australia would be real tough without a crew...Your personal
gear will not weigh that much...Its just the food and water...You can
get a refill at every town.But the distance between towns is really
large...Carrying water for even 4 days would make things really tough
on a unicycle...The safest bet would be a really high daily mileage
with rest days at every town...

--
Denali
Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085

mikepenton
May 16th 06, 12:29 PM
One option would be to bring along at least one cyclist with a trailer
to carry your stuff.

--
mikepenton
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

iridemymuni
May 16th 06, 01:29 PM
Yeah we've got a lot of space to cover inbetween towns. I just hope my
parents let me do it :P. I would prefer to do it unassisted because of
the feeling like you've relaly achieved something bigger. We could get
a guy on a bike with a trailer to go along with us but then it kinda
kills the specialness of it. yeah it's pretty flat the whole way

--
iridemymuni

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice, there is.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home