PDA

View Full Version : KH 12" possible?

zippy
May 15th 06, 11:00 PM
anyone think a KH onza hub and onza set could be done on a 12"?

custom cut down a 20" frame and get a extended seat post :D

Only prob i see is getting a good rim, or would a standard steel 12" be
strong enough?

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

dale_dale
May 15th 06, 11:01 PM
why do u want a 12" unicycle?

--
dale_dale

biggest set/gap = 4 set
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

trials_uni
May 15th 06, 11:03 PM
I bet you could do it but another problem would be finding a 36 hole 12"
rim. Also the cranks would be way long...You'd hit the ground every 5
seconds. A Koxx One 12"er would be more feasable. They have a very
larger range of sizes in cranks, the shortest being 90mm.

-phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

zippy
May 15th 06, 11:04 PM
didn't think about crank size, what the smallest splined crank you can
buy?

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

dale_dale
May 15th 06, 11:06 PM
i still dont know whyy u want a splined 20"
and i think u can get koxx 90mm isis splined cranks

--
dale_dale

biggest set/gap = 4 set
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

mornish
May 15th 06, 11:12 PM
wat would u be using it for. it would be faster to hop around on a 12"
than roll there so small.

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

zippy
May 15th 06, 11:14 PM
everything from hops to drops :D

It'd be the ultimate novelty uni.

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

Brian O.
May 15th 06, 11:17 PM
zippy wrote:
> everything from hops to drops :D
>
> It'd be the ultimate novelty uni.

The ultimate waste of money in my opinion.

--
Brian O.

dale_dale
May 15th 06, 11:21 PM
dont waste a perfectly good splined hub on a 12"
build a 12" with a clotterless hub and cranks t6heres no point
spenmding £100ish on a 12"er

--
dale_dale

biggest set/gap = 4 set
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

GhettoSmurf
May 15th 06, 11:28 PM
If get non heat treated cranks ( I know none.) you can get a competent
welder to make you like 70 mm cranks

--
GhettoSmurf

I Ride for Me.

The Catboy wrote:
> This one time i was at that place doing stuff and then i did something
> and I was like "Pshawww" but then I forgot.

http://willowglenbicycles.com/index.cfm
GhettoSmurf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11929

steveyo
May 15th 06, 11:29 PM
dale_dale wrote:
> dont waste a perfectly good splined hub on a 12"
> build a 12" with a clotterless hub and cranks t6heres no point
> spenmding £100ish on a 12"er

It's rather like bronzing a gold medal.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

musketman
May 15th 06, 11:48 PM
that would be stupid, and a big waste of money.

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

muzzle
May 16th 06, 12:04 AM
GhettoSmurf wrote:
> If get non heat treated cranks ( I know none.) you can get a competent
> welder to make you like 70 mm cranks

the koxx cranks are solid aluminium from my memory, therefore you could
shorten them rather easily so long as you can get a new thread (for
pedals to go in) machined closed to the hub end of the cranks.

but yes, quite a pointless thing to do. i'd still love to have one :P

--
muzzle

sig.
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

GhettoSmurf
May 16th 06, 01:05 AM
muzzle wrote:
> the koxx cranks are solid aluminium from my memory, therefore you could
> shorten them rather easily so long as you can get a new thread (for
> pedals to go in) machined closed to the hub end of the cranks.
>
> but yes, quite a pointless thing to do. i'd still love to have one :P

or you could cut out the middle.
but still a stupid idea

--
GhettoSmurf

I Ride for Me.

The Catboy wrote:
> This one time i was at that place doing stuff and then i did something
> and I was like "Pshawww" but then I forgot.

http://willowglenbicycles.com/index.cfm
GhettoSmurf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11929

harper
May 16th 06, 01:45 AM
I see stupid, waste, and pointless used a lot in response to the initial
post. All I have to say is what a cool idea this would be to try. It
might work. Maybe there's something advantageous about it that no one
has explored yet. Since we don't understand it, let's ridicule it...or
fear it. I wonder where new ideas and things come from.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

zippy
May 16th 06, 10:42 AM
At the end of the day, it is ridiculous and money waisting. But everyone
loved the 12" at BUC and it's be the ultimate custom :D

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

mikepenton
May 16th 06, 12:20 PM
harper wrote:
> I see stupid, waste, and pointless used a lot in response to the initial
> post. All I have to say is what a cool idea this would be to try. It
> might work. Maybe there's something advantageous about it that no one
> has explored yet. Since we don't understand it, let's ridicule it...or
> fear it. I wonder where new ideas and things come from.

hear hear, harrumph harrumph and waving of papers in agreement - beaten
to it, in a more eloquent manner no doubt. They are also ridiculing an
idea within an already ridiculed activity.

I've got at least two pointless, waste-of-money ideas which I will
definitely be trying at some point. Both will be impractical,
relatively expensive and possibly of a weak construction. Both may be
difficult to ride. BUT they will look different, be fun and may develop
to other things.

--
mikepenton
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Brian MacKenzie
May 16th 06, 04:01 PM
it would be better to use a KH/Schlumpf hub in there, you still get the
ISIS splines, and then you can gear it up to 18" for when you want to
cover some serious distance between trials sessions

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv) | 'Inner Balance
Blog' (http://innerbalancemovie.blogspot.com)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

mscalisi
May 16th 06, 09:36 PM
OR, I could just PM you my address, and you could send me your
paycheck!

Hey, I just had a cool idea. I should put a schlumpf bottom bracket on
my giraffe!

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> it would be better to use a KH/Schlumpf hub in there, you still get the
> ISIS splines, and then you can gear it up to 18" for when you want to
> cover some serious distance between trials sessions

--
mscalisi
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

weeble
May 17th 06, 07:54 AM
Do not listen to anyone who says that doing this would be pointless or a
waste. You KNOW that all of them would line up to try riding your 12"
Onza, if you had one. So if you've got the hub and the parts and the
time and the will, go for it. Practicality isn't one of the highest
priorities in this business anyway... I agree that a regular cotterless
hub would probably be a more logical choice; finding the other
components to build a trials-capable uni will be a challenge. There
aren't very many 12" rims around - none that I've seen, anyway - that
will be noncrappy enough to justify such a beefy hub, or have enough
spoke-holes to carry it. And, the selection of 12" tires is not very
wide. You'll need a bunch of custom parts for this thing, most
obviously the cranks, which are almost certainly not going to be
available in the 3" or shorter length that you'll want. Probably
spokes, too.

My 16" MaxDaddy had custom 3" cranks on it, which were about right for
its size. They were ordinary cotterless ones of course, cut down from
bicycle cranks.

--
weeble

All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much MUCH
thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the
far end. That is the theory that I have and which
is mine, and what it is too. - Ms. Anne Elk
weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home