PDA

View Full Version : Because he could

May 18th 06, 09:24 AM
Missing kid from New Haven CT. Missing right after school hours. Found
hours later at a relatives home. How he got there, 10 plus miles down
the road he rode his bike because he could. They treated him like there
was a crime at home.

Ride-A-Lot
May 18th 06, 11:32 AM
wrote:
> Missing kid from New Haven CT. Missing right after school hours. Found
> hours later at a relatives home. How he got there, 10 plus miles down
> the road he rode his bike because he could. They treated him like there
> was a crime at home.

Well, now that depends on which part of New Haven he was from. There
are sections where crime and abuse at home are a daily coinsurance.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Jason
May 18th 06, 12:21 PM
wrote:
> Missing kid from New Haven CT. Missing right after school hours. Found
> hours later at a relatives home. How he got there, 10 plus miles down
> the road he rode his bike because he could. They treated him like there
> was a crime at home.

Well not having any kids I really cant talk, however having been one,
(according to the wife I still am one) and having friends who have them
I can understand how his parents would freak out and punish him in some
form.

Carla A-G
May 18th 06, 02:04 PM
"Jason" > wrote in message
> wrote:
> > Missing kid from New Haven CT. Missing right after school hours. Found
> > hours later at a relatives home. How he got there, 10 plus miles down
> > the road he rode his bike because he could. They treated him like there
> > was a crime at home.
> >

> Well not having any kids I really cant talk, however having been one,
> (according to the wife I still am one) and having friends who have them
> I can understand how his parents would freak out and punish him in some
> form.

Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours until
dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid steps out
the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have nowadays. They
go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced them
to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home and play
video games.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ride-A-Lot
May 18th 06, 03:06 PM
Carla A-G wrote:
> Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours until
> dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
> playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid steps out
> the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have nowadays. They
> go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced them
> to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home and play
> video games.

Hey! My kids resemble that remark. Well, except for the forcing to
play organized sports.

I don't really know what happened between hen I went to school and my
kids going to school. You mean to tell me there were no child predators
back then? The local police would come into the school, show us a 10
minute film about how to avoid strangers, and that's it. I walked the
half mile from my house to elementary school starting in first grade!
My older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk
there (township rules).

Have the number of pedophiles increased? I can't believe that.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Carla A-G
May 18th 06, 03:20 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>The local police would come into the school, show us a >10 minute film
about how to avoid strangers, and that's >it.

I never even got that when I was in school. My school district was broke ass
so they couldn't afford the 10 minute video...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

MattB
May 18th 06, 05:07 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours
>> until
>> dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
>> playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid
>> steps out
>> the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have
>> nowadays. They
>> go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced
>> them
>> to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home
>> and play
>> video games.
>

> Hey! My kids resemble that remark. Well, except for the forcing to
> play organized sports.
>
> I don't really know what happened between hen I went to school and my
> kids going to school. You mean to tell me there were no child predators
> back then? The local police would come into the school, show us a 10
> minute film about how to avoid strangers, and that's it. I walked the
> half mile from my house to elementary school starting in first grade! My
> older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk there
> (township rules).
>
> Have the number of pedophiles increased? I can't believe that.

I've actually heard it's decreased proportionally, but it's just way
more sensationalized now.

I'm going to try really hard to raise my boy not to be too sheltered,
but of course I also want to ensure his safety. That's always a hard
balance to find.

Matt

BB
May 18th 06, 05:41 PM
On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:07:24 -0600, MattB wrote:

> I've actually heard it's decreased proportionally, but it's just way
> more sensationalized now.

That's exactly it. Parents watch the news that sensationalizes things that
occur very rarely, and for some strange reason parents feel like its
everywhere. No one wants their child to be the next victim, even though
the odds are near zero.

> I'm going to try really hard to raise my boy not to be too sheltered,
> but of course I also want to ensure his safety. That's always a hard
> balance to find.

Boys still seem to get out quite a bit; its the girls that are really
sheltered. Most girls in our neighborhood generally were only allowed to
walk straight to a neighbor's house; that was the extent to which they
were allowed to be outdoors unescourted. I refused to do that with my
daughter...yes, I realized there was a very small risk in that, but I
wasn't going to force her to spend her childhood indoors. We had one
neighbor who also felt that way, and usually those two were the only girls
you'd ever see outside. I really felt sorry for the other kids.

Kids still need common-sense coaching - its still the everyday stuff that
you don't hear about on the news where most get injured or killed. Boys
tend to do some pretty crazy stuff. ;-)

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

G.T.
May 18th 06, 06:07 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours
>> until
>> dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
>> playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid
>> steps out
>> the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have
>> nowadays. They
>> go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced
>> them
>> to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home
>> and play
>> video games.
>

> Hey! My kids resemble that remark. Well, except for the forcing to
> play organized sports.
>
> I don't really know what happened between hen I went to school and my
> kids going to school. You mean to tell me there were no child predators
> back then? The local police would come into the school, show us a 10
> minute film about how to avoid strangers, and that's it. I walked the
> half mile from my house to elementary school starting in first grade! My
> older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk there
> (township rules).
>
> Have the number of pedophiles increased? I can't believe that.

No, the amount information about them has increased making it look like
there are more of them. Thank our alarmist media for that, they have to
make everything scarier than it seems to sell their stories.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

dardruba
May 18th 06, 07:30 PM
Carla A-G wrote:

> Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours until
> dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
> playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid steps out
> the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have nowadays. They
> go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced them
> to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home and play
> video games.

I've lived in a quiet cul de sac of 26 semidetached houses for 50 years now and my wife and I have always enjoyed the pageant of children being born, taking their first steps outside, going to schools and eventually leaving home to go to College/Uni. Then bringing home friends, getting married from here and later bringing their children on visits and playing with the new crop of kids.

My house being in the centre has always been the rallying point for their chase and tag games.
Now its all changed. Its now early evening and the street is quiet, noone currently plays out.
They come in from school, go into their house and we dont see them again until they leave for school next day. None of these youngsters own bikes. The only chance they get to ride is when they go on a Leisure Parks vacation where riding is a formal morning activity.

Whats more, in each of these houses the curtains or blinds are drawn all day, whatever the kids do is done in electric light, and I just dont understand the reason for that. No exercise and no sunlight.
Mike

Drew
May 18th 06, 09:29 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message

> My older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk
> there (township rules).
>
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Not allowed to walk?
No wonder kids a getting fat and afraid of everyone.
Heck, when I was 14 me and my friend would go backpacking in the High
Sierras w/o any adults. We would be gone for a week at a time.
It's time for everyone to stop being a afraid of "what might happen" and
enjoy life.
Let the kid ride to school, hike in the mountains etc and learn
independence.

Drew
( uh, I don't have kids, so go figure..)

JD
May 18th 06, 09:49 PM
BB wrote:
> Kids still need common-sense coaching

How can they get that when their parents are media-fed zombies who get
all of their "common sense" from asswipes like Oafrah and Dr Pill?

JD

Frugal Joe
May 19th 06, 01:17 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> BB wrote:
>> Kids still need common-sense coaching
>

> How can they get that when their parents are media-fed zombies who get
> all of their "common sense" from asswipes like Oafrah and Dr Pill?
>
> JD

Or when their "parent" lives a thousand miles away?

small change
May 19th 06, 01:42 AM
"Drew" > wrote in message

> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>
>> My older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk
>> there (township rules).
>>
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> Not allowed to walk?
> No wonder kids a getting fat and afraid of everyone.

our local elementary only "allows" kids within a certain radius to walk/bike
because of a traffic arterial issue. Our family ignored that, as did many
neighbor kids.

My 17 year old routinely walks, bikes or runs (!) the two miles to his high
school.

I don't allow him to drive. :-) Fricken waste of gas to drive to school when
they run a bus, I don't care how uncool the bus is.

Penny

Ride-A-Lot
May 19th 06, 02:12 AM
small change wrote:
> I don't allow him to drive. :-) Fricken waste of gas to drive to school when
> they run a bus, I don't care how uncool the bus is.

Meany!

Just kidding. No need for him to show-off by driving. Let him get the
girls without the car. ;)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Dave W
May 19th 06, 02:17 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> BB wrote:
>> Kids still need common-sense coaching
>

> How can they get that when their parents are media-fed zombies who get
> all of their "common sense" from asswipes like Oafrah and Dr Pill?
>
> JD

O.k I'll admit it. I so agree with JD on this one!!!

Not me or mine bub...those two are banned from any tube in the house!!

My mom is another story. Honestly I am so glad those two were not around
when I was growing up....

Dave W
May 19th 06, 02:21 AM
"small change" > wrote in message

> "Drew" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>>
>>> My older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk
>>> there (township rules).
>>>
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>
>> Not allowed to walk?
>> No wonder kids a getting fat and afraid of everyone.
>
> our local elementary only "allows" kids within a certain radius to
> walk/bike because of a traffic arterial issue. Our family ignored that, as
> did many neighbor kids.
>
> My 17 year old routinely walks, bikes or runs (!) the two miles to his
> high school.
>
> I don't allow him to drive. :-) Fricken waste of gas to drive to school
> when they run a bus, I don't care how uncool the bus is.
>
> Penny

nowadays the bus is way past "un-cool" instead having gone to total
anarchy...no thanks....

> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

small change
May 19th 06, 03:18 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> small change wrote:
>> I don't allow him to drive. :-) Fricken waste of gas to drive to school
>> when they run a bus, I don't care how uncool the bus is.
>>

> Meany!
>
> Just kidding. No need for him to show-off by driving. Let him get the
> girls without the car. ;)

meany? at $3 a gallon for gas, plus the extra increase in the insurance if
they "commute" to school by car.... I don't think so.

It's also about considering where you fit into the consumption mentality.

ps

Slackā„¢
May 19th 06, 05:17 AM
On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:12:36 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
> wrote:

> Let him get the girls without the car. ;)

No problem, sit in the back, you can have all the sex you can handle...
And you don't have to worry about getting into an accident :-D

IT3
May 20th 06, 03:49 PM
> I don't care how uncool the bus is.

Riding the bus can be cool, if you sit in the last 2 rows and blaze up
a fattie every morning. At least that's what all the "cool" kids did on
our bus.... I was not a "cool" kid, I chose to ride my bike the 5
miles to school.

Ride-A-Lot
May 20th 06, 07:09 PM
IT3 wrote:
>> I don't care how uncool the bus is.
>
> Riding the bus can be cool, if you sit in the last 2 rows and blaze up
> a fattie every morning. At least that's what all the "cool" kids did on
> our bus.... I was not a "cool" kid, I chose to ride my bike the 5
> miles to school.

That makes you a "smart" kid, which is better than a "cool" kid in my book.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

May 20th 06, 09:50 PM
The kid just wanted to ride maybe his Playstation broke down or someone
stole the couch.

Phil, Squid-in-Training
May 20th 06, 10:47 PM
Carla A-G wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> The local police would come into the school, show us a >10 minute
>> film
> about how to avoid strangers, and that's >it.
>
> I never even got that when I was in school. My school district was
> broke ass so they couldn't afford the 10 minute video...

Pssshhh... they should have pulled one off a file-sharing proggy ;)

--
Phil

Phil, Squid-in-Training
May 20th 06, 10:48 PM
JD wrote:
> BB wrote:
>> Kids still need common-sense coaching
>

> How can they get that when their parents are media-fed zombies who get
> all of their "common sense" from asswipes like Oafrah and Dr Pill?

Hear, hear...

--
Phil

Phil, Squid-in-Training
May 20th 06, 10:49 PM
SlackT wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:12:36 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
> > wrote:
>
>> Let him get the girls without the car. ;)
>>

> No problem, sit in the back, you can have all the sex you can
> handle... And you don't have to worry about getting into an accident
> :-D

Except you really fly in the back when you go over the big speed bumps. Now
THAT'S funny.
--
Phil

Phil, Squid-in-Training
May 20th 06, 10:51 PM
Dave W wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> BB wrote:
>>> Kids still need common-sense coaching
>>

>> How can they get that when their parents are media-fed zombies who
>> get all of their "common sense" from asswipes like Oafrah and Dr
>> Pill? JD
>>

> O.k I'll admit it. I so agree with JD on this one!!!
>
> Not me or mine bub...those two are banned from any tube in the house!!

My parents never let me have a Nintendo or anything. I'm glad for that now.
Now my gf needs to yank me off newsgroups. ;)

--
Phil

Carla A-G
May 22nd 06, 02:08 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message news:l8Mbg.13182$8q.3887@dukeread08...
> Pssshhh... they should have pulled one off a file-sharing proggy ;)

I went to school before computers and file sharing existed...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Scott Gordo
May 22nd 06, 03:24 PM
MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > Carla A-G wrote:
> >
> >> Its not like it used to be. Kids just don't go out and play for hours
> >> until
> >> dinnertime anymore, like I used to when I was a kid. I never see kids
> >> playing outside anymore, parents have a heart attack if their kid
> >> steps out
> >> the door by themselves. What a sheltered life these kids have
> >> nowadays. They
> >> go to school, play an organized sport (because they're parents forced
> >> them
> >> to, even tho they hate <insert organized sport here>), then go home
> >> and play
> >> video games.
> >

> > Hey! My kids resemble that remark. Well, except for the forcing to
> > play organized sports.
> >
> > I don't really know what happened between hen I went to school and my
> > kids going to school. You mean to tell me there were no child predators
> > back then? The local police would come into the school, show us a 10
> > minute film about how to avoid strangers, and that's it. I walked the
> > half mile from my house to elementary school starting in first grade! My
> > older kid's school is less than that and he is NOT allowed to walk there
> > (township rules).
> >
> > Have the number of pedophiles increased? I can't believe that.
> >

> I've actually heard it's decreased proportionally, but it's just way
> more sensationalized now.
>
> I'm going to try really hard to raise my boy not to be too sheltered,
> but of course I also want to ensure his safety. That's always a hard
> balance to find.
>
> Matt

I hear what y'all are saying, but based on all the dumb stuff I've
managed to luck my way through, my future kids (if i'm not shooting
blanks) will probably live a Guantanamo-esque home life.

/s

MattB
May 22nd 06, 07:41 PM
Carla A-G wrote:
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
> message news:l8Mbg.13182$8q.3887@dukeread08...
>
>>Pssshhh... they should have pulled one off a file-sharing proggy ;)
>

> I went to school before computers and file sharing existed...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

We had both. But to share files you had to save it to an audio cassette,
put it in the other computer, rewind, type "load", press play, and wait
20 Minutes.

Matt (loved Lemonade stand and Miner!)

Ride-A-Lot
May 22nd 06, 07:44 PM
MattB wrote:

> We had both. But to share files you had to save it to an audio cassette,
> put it in the other computer, rewind, type "load", press play, and wait
> 20 Minutes.
>
> Matt (loved Lemonade stand and Miner!)

And lemmings! Don't forget the lemmings!!!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Sand Squid
May 22nd 06, 10:29 PM
>I went to school before computers and file sharing existed...

File Sharing, perhaps, but you are not THAT old..... Heck even I had
Apple IIe's in my highschool. Nobody knew what to do with them but we
had them. (okay perhaps we would stay up all night plying the original
Wizardry Knight of Diamdonds.. and Castle Wolfenstien.

Carla A-G
May 23rd 06, 01:59 PM
"Sand Squid" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >I went to school before computers and file sharing existed...
>
> File Sharing, perhaps, but you are not THAT old..... Heck even I had
> Apple IIe's in my highschool. Nobody knew what to do with them but we
> had them. (okay perhaps we would stay up all night plying the original
> Wizardry Knight of Diamdonds.. and Castle Wolfenstien.

Not in elementry school I didn't. The first time I saw a computer was in
junior high when they had 1 computer for the whole school and all it did was
either draw a circle or draw a square. They didn't have them in my high
school either, they finally acquired a couple of them in my senior year as I
was graduating and leaving.

Yeah, I went to some pretty ****ty schools...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

JD
May 23rd 06, 09:32 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> My parents never let me have a Nintendo or anything. I'm glad for that now.
> Now my gf needs to yank me off <snip>

Way to go Phil!

JD

Google