PDA

View Full Version : Another Velodrome in a Bunnings :)

rooman
May 18th 06, 02:10 PM
LOOKS LIKE DISC (JOEDROME) IS NOT THE ONLY VELO IN A BUNNINGS...OUR
NEIGHBORS ACROSS THE DITCH NOW HAVE A NEW VELO INDOORS...GOOD TO SEE!
*(from Cyclingnews.com)*

NEW ZEALAND'S FIRST INDOOR VELODROME
New Zealand's first indoor velodrome
Photo ©: Bruce Ross'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/news/may06/may18news2/VelodromeCourtstn.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/ookbn)

New Zealand's first indoor cycling velodrome is nearing completion and
will be opened in Invercargill by the country's Prime Minister, Helen
Clark, on Friday, May 26.

The $10 million multi-purpose extension to the successful Stadium
Southland houses the wooden 250 metre board track, plus a further four
netball courts. The facility also is the home to many of Southland's
sporting codes who have made the 'ILT Velodrome' building their home.

A cycling carnival, featuring an Australian and New Zealand series,
will be a feature of the opening celebrations. Cycling Southland's
development manager said the sport loving public of Southland were in
for a treat, with riders like Mark French and Nicholas Sanderson
leading the Australian challenge.

The entire Stadium is now a flurry of activity as it gears up to the
opening celebrations on May 26. Over 100 cyclists are expected to be
competing on the opening night with the second session of the carnival
being held on Sunday afternoon.

PHOGOGRAPHY

For a thumbnail gallery of these images, 'click here'
(http://tinyurl.com/l6trj)

-Images by Bruce Ross -

- 'New Zealand's first ' (http://tinyurl.com/ookbn)indoor velodrome
is part of a multi-purpose extension to the successful Stadium
Southland
- 'Enjoying the surface' (http://tinyurl.com/e55c2) of New Zealand's
first indoor velodrome
- 'Testing the track' (http://tinyurl.com/op9ue) in Invercargill

--
rooman

warrwych
May 18th 06, 11:42 PM
rooman Wrote:
> LOOKS LIKE DISC (JOEDROME) IS NOT THE ONLY VELO IN A BUNNINGS...OUR
> NEIGHBORS ACROSS THE DITCH NOW HAVE A NEW VELO INDOORS...GOOD TO SEE!
>
> (FROM CYCLINGNEWS.COM)
>
> NEW ZEALAND'S FIRST INDOOR VELODROME
>
> New Zealand's first indoor velodrome
> Photo ©: Bruce Ross'[image:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/news/may06/may18news2/VelodromeCourtstn.jpg]'
> (http://tinyurl.com/ookbn)
>
> New Zealand's first indoor cycling velodrome is nearing completion and
> will be opened in Invercargill by the country's Prime Minister, Helen
> Clark, on Friday, May 26.
>
> The $10 million multi-purpose extension to the successful Stadium
> Southland houses the wooden 250 metre board track, plus a further four
> netball courts. The facility also is the home to many of Southland's
> sporting codes who have made the 'ILT Velodrome' building their home.
>
> A cycling carnival, featuring an Australian and New Zealand series,
> will be a feature of the opening celebrations. Cycling Southland's
> development manager said the sport loving public of Southland were in
> for a treat, with riders like Mark French and Nicholas Sanderson
> leading the Australian challenge.
>
> The entire Stadium is now a flurry of activity as it gears up to the
> opening celebrations on May 26. Over 100 cyclists are expected to be
> competing on the opening night with the second session of the carnival
> being held on Sunday afternoon.
>
> PHOGOGRAPHY (hmmm is that some new kind of image capture?)
>

> For a thumbnail gallery of these images, 'click here'
> (http://tinyurl.com/l6trj)
>
> -Images by Bruce Ross -

- 'New Zealand's first ' (http://tinyurl.com/ookbn)indoor velodrome
> is part of a multi-purpose extension to the successful Stadium
> Southland
- 'Enjoying the surface' (http://tinyurl.com/e55c2) of New
> Zealand's first indoor velodrome
- 'Testing the track' (http://tinyurl.com/op9ue) in Invercargill

at least at joe crome we dont have balls bouncing onto the track :p I
am waiting for the next great idea as to how best to use the "spare"
space in the middle of the drome. How about pool tables, jukebox and
bar? :D :D

--
warrwych

warrwych
May 18th 06, 11:56 PM
rooman Wrote:
> ...however , if an irate geri bowler decides to toss one of his weighty
> prized pills onto the track it would be a bit nasty...the blue carpet
> set are amusing to and amused by the track riders nonetheless,
> especially the guy with the rolling chute used to launch his bowl into
> play...like a ski jump...
>
> I think I'd prefer the distraction of netball skirts than rotund pot
> bellies

apparently the geris dont like using it, as the lighting is too poor
for them to see the bowls, and the trackies make too much noise!!
(heard this from a bowler who heard it from a bowler .. :p )

--
warrwych

rooman
May 19th 06, 01:17 AM
warrwych Wrote:
> apparently the geris dont like using it, as the lighting is too poor for
> them to see the bowls, and the trackies make too much noise!! (heard
> this from a bowler who heard it from a bowler .. :p )
Joegrone's (under)management policy means the place is too tight ar.e
to run the lights fully, mainly so you can't see how dirty the place
is.

the only "noise" at the track is "Monster" yelling at his charges...

--
rooman

warrwych
May 19th 06, 01:21 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> warrwych wrote:
> > at least at joe crome we dont have balls bouncing onto the track :p
> > am waiting for the next great idea as to how best to use the "spare"
> > space in the middle of the drome. How about pool tables, jukebox and
> > bar? :D :D
> >

> > --
> > warrwych
>
> Done, haven't you read about 6 day racing in europe

that's europe, not bunnings ;) Bring it on here I say!

--
warrwych

warrwych
May 19th 06, 01:24 AM
rooman Wrote:

> the only "noise" at the track is "Monster" yelling at his charges...

and his charges cursing him under their breath :p maybe it's just me
(ie age and too much loud punk music years ago) but I find it hard to
actually hear what anyone is yelling at me when I am on boards - the
sound bounces around too much and it's aural blur.

--
warrwych

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home