PDA

View Full Version : RR: Benham Trail, Williams, AZ

GeeDubb
May 21st 06, 09:38 PM
The SO decided for Mother's Day that we go camping. Who was I to argue? We
picked an old favorite campground that usually doesn't fill up and doesn't
have a reservation policy. Fishing report was excellent (if one bothered to
read that "worms" was what the trout were biting on) and between my oldest
daughter and me we managed a nice meal for me.

Saturday I felt under the weather so didn't ride. Sunday I decided to ride
to Bill Williams Lookout, about 9 miles away and a couple thousand feet of
climbing via the Benham Trail. Four and one half miles to the lookout from
the start of the single track and 2200' of elevation gain. The bottom had
experienced a fire last year that I was unaware of until the ride.
Fortunately it appeared a fast burn leaving most of the ponderosas in good
shape and barely touching the oak. The wind had knocked several trees over
the trail so being the good person I am I managed to move three of the four
I came across, the fourth being to much even for macho me.....

The lower portion of the st use to be part of the race course so I had
ridden this area several times. Mostly graduall up until the first
intersection with the lookout road where the approach was steep and loose.
I've never made this section and this day was no different.

The next section I had never ridden. Laiden with numerous switchbacks most
of which whipped my butt due to my imperfect balance. I didn't crash on any
but didn't make any without a one or two foot dab. Along I went until the
last road crossing where I still had 1/2 mile to the top. The st looked
more the bad hiking trail so I opted to ride the remaining part via the
road.

I was running out of time so opted for a fast descent down the road until
the bottom section where I picked up the st again. Too fun to take more pix
as I had never descended down this trail (race course went up, not down this
section). What a rush.

Back on the dirt road headed for the campground and damned if I didn't have
an encounter with a wasp...in my shirt.....stinging the crap out of me
before I could stop, smash at my jersey and find the little *******. Poor
thing died.........

Pictures, topo's and profiles can be viewed here.

<http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3009&g2_navId=x4b762021>

Gary

JD
May 21st 06, 10:38 PM
Nice,

That looks like a really fun trail system that hardly anyone rides.

JD

Ride-A-Lot
May 21st 06, 10:57 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> Pictures, topo's and profiles can be viewed here.
>
> <http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3009&g2_navId=x4b762021>
>

> Gary

Nice trail! Prescott?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

GeeDubb
May 22nd 06, 03:40 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> GeeDubb wrote:
>> Pictures, topo's and profiles can be viewed here.
>>
>> <http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3009&g2_navId=x4b762021>
>> Gary
>
> Nice trail! Prescott?

Silly Boy, read the title..........then look at a map.

geesh, I'm starting to sound like someone else.

Gary

GeeDubb
May 22nd 06, 03:43 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Nice,
>
> That looks like a really fun trail system that hardly anyone rides.
>
> JD

It's mainly a hiking trail, especially the upper portions, but there were
signs of at least one or two other bikes on the trail recently (why didn't
they clear the dead fall?). The trail continues down the west side of BW
Mountain which I hear is quite nice, I just ran out of time to do the whole
thing. It makes for a great summer ride away from the desert.

Gary

Ride-A-Lot
May 22nd 06, 03:44 PM
GeeDubb wrote:

> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>>> Pictures, topo's and profiles can be viewed here.
>>>
>>> <http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3009&g2_navId=x4b762021>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Nice trail! Prescott?
>>
> Silly Boy, read the title..........then look at a map.
>
> geesh, I'm starting to sound like someone else.
>
> Gary

Brain fart!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

May 22nd 06, 06:43 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> The SO decided for Mother's Day that we go camping. Who was I to argue? We
> picked an old favorite campground that usually doesn't fill up and doesn't
> have a reservation policy. Fishing report was excellent (if one bothered to
> read that "worms" was what the trout were biting on) and between my oldest
> daughter and me we managed a nice meal for me.
>
> Saturday I felt under the weather so didn't ride. Sunday I decided to ride
> to Bill Williams Lookout, about 9 miles away and a couple thousand feet of
> climbing via the Benham Trail. Four and one half miles to the lookout from
> the start of the single track and 2200' of elevation gain. The bottom had
> experienced a fire last year that I was unaware of until the ride.
> Fortunately it appeared a fast burn leaving most of the ponderosas in good
> shape and barely touching the oak.

<snip> Great RR <snip>

Sounds like you skirted through the Clover High Burn. A controlled burn
set last October to reduce fuel loads. The boys and Girls of the Kaibab
have been very proactive in the last decade or so.

JD
May 22nd 06, 06:56 PM
wrote:
> proactive

You just blew my whole image of you with that lame corporate buzzword.

JD

JD
May 22nd 06, 06:58 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> (why didn't they clear the dead fall?)

They must have been "serious" riders, or it was Puny Weakstrong.

JD

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home