PDA

View Full Version : first ride...

Drew
May 21st 06, 11:15 PM
An aquaintance of mine heard that i Mt Bike. He asked if I could take him
out and show him what it's all about.
So we made arrangements to meet at a biginner trail at 8am on Sat.
I wondered if he would show, but I could turn it into a good ride if he
didn't.
In anticipation of a non-rider showing up, I brought along my pump,
chain oil, and tools. Because we all know, some adjustment will be needed.
Ok, 8am and I show. there he is waiting for me with a big grin... and a
CostCo POS, Oh well, it a smooth trail. After pumping up the tires, lubing
the chain, adjusting the seat etc, we were ready to go.
Off we went, up Telegraph canyon. up a couple of very small hills,
through a few creeks ( well, puddles), and on we went. Actually a very
simple trail, but I would stop and wait for him just to have him ride up
with a big grin....
We continued to the end of the canyon, about 6 miles. Time for the turn
around....
Down the canyon we go..
I stop and wait a couple times, and then continue.
We finish the ride, I turn around and he's got a ear to ear grin.. " the
ride down makes the ride up worthwhile." he says.
i asked if all was OK/ He pulls up his Jersy ( I donated it, cottton
doesn't work well) and what do I see but his back all red and scraped. He
doesn't care, it's worth it
" when can we go again! Let's ride the bike 'til it's trashed then I'll
buy a real Mt Bike." He said.

Ah, another convert......

Drew

Ride-A-Lot
May 22nd 06, 12:03 AM
Drew wrote:
> " when can we go again! Let's ride the bike 'til it's trashed then I'll
> buy a real Mt Bike." He said.
>
> Ah, another convert......
>
> Drew

He'll have a much better time if he got a "real" mountain bike now. Try
and talk him into an entry level quality mountain bike.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Tom The Great
May 22nd 06, 06:07 AM
On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:15:04 -0700, "Drew" > wrote:

>An aquaintance of mine heard that i Mt Bike. He asked if I could take him
>out and show him what it's all about.
> So we made arrangements to meet at a biginner trail at 8am on Sat.
> I wondered if he would show, but I could turn it into a good ride if he
>didn't.
> In anticipation of a non-rider showing up, I brought along my pump,
>chain oil, and tools. Because we all know, some adjustment will be needed.
> Ok, 8am and I show. there he is waiting for me with a big grin... and a
>CostCo POS, Oh well, it a smooth trail. After pumping up the tires, lubing
>the chain, adjusting the seat etc, we were ready to go.
> Off we went, up Telegraph canyon. up a couple of very small hills,
>through a few creeks ( well, puddles), and on we went. Actually a very
>simple trail, but I would stop and wait for him just to have him ride up
>with a big grin....
> We continued to the end of the canyon, about 6 miles. Time for the turn
>around....
> Down the canyon we go..
> I stop and wait a couple times, and then continue.
> We finish the ride, I turn around and he's got a ear to ear grin.. " the
>ride down makes the ride up worthwhile." he says.
> i asked if all was OK/ He pulls up his Jersy ( I donated it, cottton
>doesn't work well) and what do I see but his back all red and scraped. He
>doesn't care, it's worth it
> " when can we go again! Let's ride the bike 'til it's trashed then I'll
>buy a real Mt Bike." He said.
>
> Ah, another convert......
>
> Drew

I rode again for the first time in like 6-8 years. I have a very old,
1990 fuji mt bike, no suspension, with alot of miles (off and on road)
on it. Even though I could hear every part of the bike complain, I
had a great time, and wondered why I ever thought of 'stopping'.

Oh yeah, the rides down make the rides up fun!

later,

tom

JD
May 22nd 06, 07:49 AM
Drew wrote:
> (cottton doesn't work well)

So, who told you this, a bike clothing manufacturer via the media?

JD cotton is KING

Paladin
May 22nd 06, 06:24 PM
JD wrote:
> Drew wrote:
> > (cottton doesn't work well)
>

> So, who told you this, a bike clothing manufacturer via the media?
>
> JD cotton is KING

T-shirts rule the day when I'm out on the fully rigid SS. Something
wierd about trying to marry neon spandex with the pure luddite bike...

CDB

JD
May 22nd 06, 06:40 PM
Paladin wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Drew wrote:
> > > (cottton doesn't work well)
> >

> > So, who told you this, a bike clothing manufacturer via the media?
> >
> > JD cotton is KING
>
> T-shirts rule the day when I'm out on the fully rigid SS. Something
> wierd about trying to marry neon spandex with the pure luddite bike...
>
> CDB

In drier climes when it's hot out, not much beats a breeze blowing
through a sweat soaked cotton tshirt on the downhill. It's like your
own personal swamp cooler. I didn't need the media to tell me that
either.

JD

Werehatrack
May 22nd 06, 07:16 PM
On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:15:04 -0700, "Drew" > wrote:

> " when can we go again! Let's ride the bike 'til it's trashed then I'll
>buy a real Mt Bike." He said.

If he's having fun, does it really matter what he's riding? Let him
get some miles and grins, and along the way he'll figure out what kind
of bike he wants to upgrade into. Right now, he doesn't know that
yet; let the process continue.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Justen
May 23rd 06, 12:41 AM
Paladin > wrote:
> T-shirts rule the day when I'm out on the fully rigid SS. Something
> wierd about trying to marry neon spandex with the pure luddite bike...

Cotton is good while it is dry because I can use it to wipe the
sweat off my sunglasses. Synthetics just seem to smear it
around and make things worse.

Justen

DP
May 23rd 06, 02:50 AM
> Oh yeah, the rides down make the rides up fun!
>
> later,
>
> tom

Good for you but to me it's the other way 'round...it's the rides up that
make the down fun, gotta love the climb...
Drew

DP
May 23rd 06, 02:51 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Drew wrote:
>> (cottton doesn't work well)
>

> So, who told you this, a bike clothing manufacturer via the media?
>
> JD cotton is KING

Exactly...and how silly would I feel wearing a jersey...to each their own.
Drew

Drew
May 23rd 06, 03:33 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Drew wrote:
>> (cottton doesn't work well)
>

> So, who told you this, a bike clothing manufacturer via the media?
>
> JD cotton is KING

Just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct.
Besides, I had a pearl izumi that was too big for me, and it fits him fine.
Better than goin' to waste!!
Besides, it was fun.

Drew ( there is another Drew, so I may change..)

Drew
May 23rd 06, 03:37 AM
"Werehatrack" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:15:04 -0700, "Drew" > wrote:
>
> If he's having fun, does it really matter what he's riding? Let him
> get some miles and grins, and along the way he'll figure out what kind
> of bike he wants to upgrade into. Right now, he doesn't know that
> yet; let the process continue.
> --
> nuts.

That was his his thought also.
Heck, I bought my first Mt Bike for $1200, and then relized after a few
months that it didn't suit me very well.
Time will let him decide what he likes, and what suits his riding style.

dddd Drew

Raptor
May 24th 06, 04:51 AM
Justen wrote:
> Paladin > wrote:
>> T-shirts rule the day when I'm out on the fully rigid SS. Something
>> wierd about trying to marry neon spandex with the pure luddite bike...
>
> Cotton is good while it is dry because I can use it to wipe the
> sweat off my sunglasses. Synthetics just seem to smear it
> around and make things worse.
>
> Justen

I always save a few drops of clear water in a bottle/bag to rinse the
lenses, "wash" with my fingers, and blow dry with lung power. Water
spots are a lot easier to see through than sweat spots.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Paladin
May 26th 06, 01:11 AM
Hey Compadre! Great to meet you last night and share a couple brews!
Always good to put a bike to a name, er, I mean a face to a name. Last
night was Grrrrreat!

CDB

Tom The Great
May 28th 06, 06:36 PM
On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:50:53 -0400, "DP" > wrote:

>> Oh yeah, the rides down make the rides up fun!
>>
>> later,
>>
>> tom
>
>Good for you but to me it's the other way 'round...it's the rides up that
>make the down fun, gotta love the climb...
>Drew

Masochists!

:p

tom