PDA

View Full Version : RR: Birthday fun

MattB
May 23rd 06, 05:15 AM
I also just celebrated my successful survival of another lap around the
sun. It was my 35th.

Anyway, I got a day pass on Saturday and did a big ride with a good
friend. It rained the day before, so I scrapped my original plan of
going somewhat high and stuck to the basin for a big Hartman Rocks
extravaganza.

We chatted as we spun out the four Miles to get to the trails. I was
feeling the beer and tequila from the previous evening's activities but
still felt alright (for my age).

From the previous evening. Toddlers at my parties are now pretty standard.
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/DSC03154.JPG>
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/DSC03160.JPG>

Then we climbed up Jacks and then up Back of Hogsback. The wildflowers
were popping up all over the place, speckling the hillsides with color.
My buddy mentioned how he has friends from other places who "don't get"
what it's like here. So we decided to try and frame a nice shot of town
with a little desert flower for good measure. I don't think it does it
justice, but it's ok:

<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0061%20(2).jpg>
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0062%20(2).jpg>

So many nice flowers. I ended up shooting mostly flowers for the rest of
the ride, which went on for hours.

<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0063%20(2).jpg>
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0067%20(2).jpg>
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0071%20(2).jpg>

We dodged thunderstorms while we rode Alonzo's, Dave Mo's, The Cabin
trail, Arden's, Aberdeen, Skull Bypass, Outback, Weinz's, Skyline, Rocky
Ridge, Beck's, and The Notch.
At one point at the top of Aberdeen, we had to make a hasty exit when a
storm cell started bearing down on us. My leg hair started standing up
and I was sure I was about to get zapped. Fortunately I was only hit by
some rain.
The trail surface was perfectly firm. Rain does this place wonders.

Keith cruising down that seemingly endless Aberdeen DH:

<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0079%20(2).jpg>
<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0080%20(2).jpg>

I just had to get this one more flower:

<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_0081%20(2).jpg>

Finally, we spun back to town, still chatting but leaving a lot more
empty space in the conversation now. The mileage was around 35 and the
fun factor was off the scale. If this is what getting older is like, I
think I can take it.

The next day I got out for a relatively quick ride with another friend.
It was the first for me up the Crested Butte end of the valley, which is
emerging from the snow. We did Strand Hill, and the shortish loop with
one big climb really made me feel my age a little more - I was pooped
from the previous day. I overcame adversity and still managed to have a
great ride. The downhill was perfectly smooth, banked singletrack
peppered with the occasional rock garden to keep it interesting. I
didn't get good photos of the ride but I did snap a nice one on the way
home. This is what I saw looking towards CB South. I had to pull over
and just check it out for a bit. Could it be the crazy real estate
climate is just another gold rush?

<http://tinyurl.com/pg8ot/img_00103%20(2).jpg>

Matt

JD
May 24th 06, 12:07 AM
Worthy of 3 postings!

JD Aberdeeeeeeen

MattB
May 24th 06, 04:06 PM
JD wrote:
> Worthy of 3 postings!

I dunno about that, but oh well. That's what I get for drinking and posting!

It seems canceling a message doesn't make it completely go away...

Matt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home