PDA

View Full Version : 6-7 speed cassettes, interchangable?

Wilfred Kazoks
May 27th 06, 01:49 PM
Are Shimano Hyperglide 6 and 7 speed cassettes interchangable on a hub?

I want to replace the old deraileur on my 6speed. Do I have to by a 6 speed
model or will a 7-8-9 speed model work just as well?

Thanks
Wilfred

Duncan
May 28th 06, 12:52 PM
Wilfred Kazoks wrote:
> Are Shimano Hyperglide 6 and 7 speed cassettes interchangable on a hub?
>
> I want to replace the old deraileur on my 6speed. Do I have to by a 6 speed
> model or will a 7-8-9 speed model work just as well?

Sounds like 6-speed may actually be uniglide...

check out http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

531Aussie
May 28th 06, 03:02 PM
do you want to replace both the cassette and the derialleur, or just the
derailleur? Depending on the gear ratio and the levers, you might be
able to use just about any derailleur.

I don't think they made 6 speed cassettes; they were screw-on clusters.

--
531Aussie

Nick Payne
May 28th 06, 11:15 PM
"531Aussie" > wrote in
message ...

> I don't think they made 6 speed cassettes; they were screw-on clusters.

Not so, Shimano started making cassette hubs in the days of 5-speed. I
bought my first cassette hub in the late 1970s. It was a Dura-Ace, 120mm OLN
with 5-speed cassette.

Nick

531Aussie
May 29th 06, 04:16 AM

--
531Aussie

Jock
May 29th 06, 01:05 PM
"531Aussie" > wrote in
message ...

> Nick Payne Wrote:
>>
>> Not so, Shimano started making cassette hubs in the days of 5-speed. I
>> bought my first cassette hub in the late 1970s. It was a Dura-Ace,
>> 120mm OLN
>> with 5-speed cassette.
>> crikey!! I never knew that :)
>

> --
> 531Aussie

I have a 6 and 7 speed Ultegra (2 sets) on Mavic MA40 & o4CD rims if anyone
is after them - SIS downtube levers too + fronts. The sets are 12, 13, 14,
15, 17, 19, 21 and I think similar for the 6 spd.
Jock

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home