PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Postie position at Minto, NSW

Terryc
June 1st 06, 01:46 PM
Seems Australia Post is still recruiting bicycle posties. The
Campbelltown Advertiser (Fairfax) had an add for such a postion this week.

What was interesting is that apparently Aust Post bicycle are not the
great, becuase you are not allowed to weigh more than 106kg.

ritcho
June 1st 06, 09:50 PM
Terryc Wrote:
> Seems Australia Post is still recruiting bicycle posties. The
> Campbelltown Advertiser (Fairfax) had an add for such a postion this
> week.
>
> What was interesting is that apparently Aust Post bicycle are not the
> great, becuase you are not allowed to weigh more than 106kg.

I'm sure that if you worked as a bicycle postie, you wouldn't be over
106kg for long!

Ritch

--
ritcho

Andrew Price
June 2nd 06, 12:00 AM
Terryc wrote

> What was interesting is that apparently Aust Post bicycle are not the
> great, becuase you are not allowed to weigh more than 106kg.

Scandal, shame and clearly a case for what passes for investigative
jounalism in this country (ie a media beat up to pinch ratings)

Discrimination in the work place of slow old fat *******s - quelle horreur!!

How can they live with themselves?

best, Andrew (originally a very SOFB)

Bean Long
June 2nd 06, 12:05 AM
ritcho wrote:
> Terryc Wrote:
>> Seems Australia Post is still recruiting bicycle posties. The
>> Campbelltown Advertiser (Fairfax) had an add for such a postion this
>> week.
>>
>> What was interesting is that apparently Aust Post bicycle are not the
>> great, becuase you are not allowed to weigh more than 106kg.
>
> I'm sure that if you worked as a bicycle postie, you wouldn't be over
> 106kg for long!
>
> Ritch

Why 106 kg exactly?? Is that the rating of their bikes??

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Terryc
June 2nd 06, 05:00 AM
Bean Long wrote:

> Why 106 kg exactly?? Is that the rating of their bikes??

No idea. I know they have a 90kg weight limit for riders on their
motorcycles.

Wild, rascist guess, it means Pacific Islanders need not apply. Although
I would have thought that is just the build of pedal postie Minto needs.
OTOH, the only flat area is the industrial area and you sometimes need
an oxygen mask when you ride through the the small workshops end. The
two pack paint fumes for cars and bicycles (Hillbricks factory is there
actually) can be rather lethal.

Terryc
June 2nd 06, 05:11 AM
Andrew Price wrote:

> Discrimination in the work place of slow old fat *******s - quelle horreur!!

Well, i was chuckling the other day over the media beat up about
obesity. True to form, that ultimate parasite, the medical doctor was
out lamblasting people's food choices and weighing in to bogans in
particular. This is like 30 year old news folks.

I was wondering why there were so few opportunities to "work out" in
your job. It occurred to me that since the backhoe was invented, each
year brings fewer and fewer jobs where you can actually do physical work
to keep yourself fit. There are only a few tradie positions where you do
much physical work like bricklaying. Even storeman/woman positions now
are driving forklifts. Gone are the days of manually offloading bicycle
for the Woollies Christmas Sales.

This has continued even with office jobs, like IT User support where you
could wander around each day going face to face have become chair bound
tele-support jobs.

Resound
June 2nd 06, 05:36 AM
Terryc Wrote:
> Andrew Price wrote:
>
> > Discrimination in the work place of slow old fat *******s - quelle
> horreur!!
>
> Well, i was chuckling the other day over the media beat up about
> obesity. True to form, that ultimate parasite, the medical doctor was
> out lamblasting people's food choices and weighing in to bogans in
> particular. This is like 30 year old news folks.
>
> I was wondering why there were so few opportunities to "work out" in
> your job. It occurred to me that since the backhoe was invented, each
> year brings fewer and fewer jobs where you can actually do physical
> work
> to keep yourself fit. There are only a few tradie positions where you
> do
> much physical work like bricklaying. Even storeman/woman positions now
> are driving forklifts. Gone are the days of manually offloading
> bicycle
> for the Woollies Christmas Sales.
>
> This has continued even with office jobs, like IT User support where
> you
> could wander around each day going face to face have become chair
> bound
> tele-support jobs.

Oh, I hear that. My late 20's tummy expansion probably wouldn't have
been half as dramatic had it not coincided with me leaving a retail
job. It didn't really involve heavy lifting, but I was on my feet all
day. I only sat down to eat lunch. Now I sit in a chair all day. I'm
doing the 'global challenge pedometer thingy'
(http://www.globalcc.com.au) and actually racking up steps requires me
to take time out during the day to walk, despite the fact that I slip
the pedometer down one sock for the commute. If I just drove or pt'd to
work, did my job and then went home and slobbed in front of the tv, I'd
be lucky to accrue 1000 steps over the course of the day.

--
Resound

Terryc
June 2nd 06, 06:47 AM
Resound wrote:

> If I just drove or pt'd to
> work, did my job and then went home and slobbed in front of the tv, I'd
> be lucky to accrue 1000 steps over the course of the day.

Okay, this doesn't make sense until you go to the globalcc site and
instantly get a bloated computer and finally find the figure that 10,000
steps is about 6kms per day.

One of my previous jobs involved train to Central (Sydney) then bus to
Roseberry. Well, it didn't take me long to decide that it was far easier
to just walk out (30mins) rather than fart around waiting for the
randomly occuring bus connection. The added benefit was that I instantly
had a choice of three cross-over stations (St Peters, Redfern or
Central) once I chucked the tyranny of bussing.

Apart from wearing out shoe rubber[1], it did great things for my
health. Sadly, the next career opportunity involved the same seat only
100m from Museum for ~ 8 hrs/day {:-(.

I'd rather be bicycle commuting, but a nice walk to work comes a nice
second. Always hated having to drive the "company" vehicle to work.

[1] "Look, this is the last time I am resoleing these shoes. You are
just going to have to buy yourself a new pair" shoe repairer on Broadway.

Zebee Johnstone
June 2nd 06, 08:23 AM
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:11:37 +1000
Terryc > wrote:

> This has continued even with office jobs, like IT User support where you
> could wander around each day going face to face have become chair bound
> tele-support jobs.

Hence me buying a pushbike!

No chance of exercise otherwise. And it's hard to get it even with
the bike as people keep scheduling things early in the morning and I'm
not capable of leaving hte house at 5am.

Zebee

Vincent Patrick
June 3rd 06, 04:40 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:11:37 +1000
> Terryc > wrote:
>>
>> This has continued even with office jobs, like IT User support where you
>> could wander around each day going face to face have become chair bound
>> tele-support jobs.
>
> Hence me buying a pushbike!
>
> No chance of exercise otherwise. And it's hard to get it even with
> the bike as people keep scheduling things early in the morning and I'm
> not capable of leaving hte house at 5am.
>
> Zebee

Good on you for trying. You're making the effort while others are making
excuses.

Cheers,

Vince

Zebee Johnstone
June 3rd 06, 10:01 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:40:27 +0800
Vincent Patrick > wrote:

> Good on you for trying. You're making the effort while others are making
> excuses.

Hey I'd be the one making an excuse if I was riding an upright :)

But the bent is wonderful and I get on it just because I haven't
ridden it today. I'm still attacking the hills and they are still
refusing to lie down but one day, one day....

Was way too damn cold last night, so I wimped out and took the train
home. Warm rain I can handle. Cold, rain, and winds... no way! Not
for an hour and a half mostly uphill[1] anyway.

Zebee
[1] for some reason my commute is uphill both ways. How does it do
that?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home