PDA

View Full Version : Ride/Training Diary for 2004

Steve
December 29th 03, 12:17 AM
Just a reminder, the first of January is a good time to start a
ride/training diary. There is a simple spreadsheet here that you may
find useful:

http://www.veloway.org/docs/diary.shtml

Or do a search on google because there are lots of other training
diaries out there to choose from.

SR

Mike Schwab
December 29th 03, 01:14 AM
Is there any online sites that let you enter your data in a form?
Allow members of a club to be grouped together?
Our club ( http://www.spfldcycling.org ) has one person keeping track of
everyones club ride.
I would like a site where a rider or ride leader types in the names and
miles for that ride then is approved for club miles, and allows personal
miles to be entered but not approved for club miles.

Steve wrote:

> Just a reminder, the first of January is a good time to start a
> ride/training diary. There is a simple spreadsheet here that you may
> find useful:
>
> http://www.veloway.org/docs/diary.shtml
>
> Or do a search on google because there are lots of other training
> diaries out there to choose from.
>
> SR

Roger Zoul
December 29th 03, 01:33 AM
Steve wrote:
:: Just a reminder, the first of January is a good time to start a
:: ride/training diary. There is a simple spreadsheet here that you may
:: find useful:
::
:: http://www.veloway.org/docs/diary.shtml
::

I like that...I just wish it were in miles rather than km. I guess I can
modify it, build my own, or search out another one. thanks.

Denver C. Fox
December 29th 03, 01:49 AM
>Is there any online sites that let you enter your data in a form?
>Allow members of a club to be grouped together?

You might want to look at

http://www.Activebody.org

We have a sort of team from Bikeforums.net there. Many other folks seem to post
their data there. But, I don't know if one person can enter other's info?

Check with the owner, ClintThayer - you can ask by posting on the ActiveBody
Forums, or I could ask him for you on BikeForums.net, if you like.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Steve
December 29th 03, 02:56 AM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
> wrote:

>I like that...I just wish it were in miles rather than km. I guess I can
>modify it, build my own, or search out another one. thanks.

Just change Kms to Miles in the header columns and it suddenly becomes
an imperial measurement cyclists diary :-)

There is nothing in the spreadsheet that specifically uses kilometres.
You could change the units to leagues, milliarium, asparsa, parasang,
furlongs, chains, or light years and it would still work OK.

SR

GaryG
December 30th 03, 05:44 AM
"Steve" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
> > wrote:
>
> >I like that...I just wish it were in miles rather than km. I guess I can
> >modify it, build my own, or search out another one. thanks.
>
> Just change Kms to Miles in the header columns and it suddenly becomes
> an imperial measurement cyclists diary :-)
>
> There is nothing in the spreadsheet that specifically uses kilometres.
> You could change the units to leagues, milliarium, asparsa, parasang,
> furlongs, chains, or light years and it would still work OK.
>
> SR

If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks bicycle
maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program at
http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free, fully functional,
45-day trial version from the website. It is "metric-aware", and allows you
to switch back and forth from metric to imperial whenever you want.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Roger Zoul
December 30th 03, 01:36 PM
GaryG wrote:
:: "Steve" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
::: > wrote:
:::
[...]

Thanks, Gary. I think your app is exactly what I really want...You'll be
hearing from me in 45 days or so. :)

GaryG
December 30th 03, 03:08 PM
[snip]
> ::
> :: If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
> :: bicycle maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats
> :: program at http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free,
> :: fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
> :: "metric-aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric
> :: to imperial whenever you want.
>
> Thanks, Gary. I think your app is exactly what I really want...You'll be
> hearing from me in 45 days or so. :)

Great...hope you enjoy it.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Per Elmsäter
December 30th 03, 04:12 PM
GaryG wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I like that...I just wish it were in miles rather than km. I guess
>>> I can modify it, build my own, or search out another one. thanks.
>>
>> Just change Kms to Miles in the header columns and it suddenly
>> becomes an imperial measurement cyclists diary :-)
>>
>> There is nothing in the spreadsheet that specifically uses
>> kilometres. You could change the units to leagues, milliarium,
>> asparsa, parasang, furlongs, chains, or light years and it would
>> still work OK.
>>
>> SR
>
> If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
> bicycle maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program
> at http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free, fully
> functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
> "metric-aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric
> to imperial whenever you want.

Have you ever considered the ability to import files from a for instance a
Polar HRM? I'm downloading your trial version as I'm writing this.
With my HRM I automatically get a training diary which is nice. But
sometimes I find it inconvenient to use especially for information like how
long have my tires been on and which bike did I use etc.

--
Perre

GaryG
December 30th 03, 05:43 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
> GaryG wrote:
> > "Steve" > wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:19 -0500, "Roger Zoul"

> >> Just change Kms to Miles in the header columns and it suddenly
> >> becomes an imperial measurement cyclists diary :-)
> >>
> >> There is nothing in the spreadsheet that specifically uses
> >> kilometres. You could change the units to leagues, milliarium,
> >> asparsa, parasang, furlongs, chains, or light years and it would
> >> still work OK.
> >>
> >> SR
> >
> > If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
> > bicycle maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program
> > at http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free, fully
> > functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
> > "metric-aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric
> > to imperial whenever you want.
>
> Have you ever considered the ability to import files from a for instance a
> Polar HRM? I'm downloading your trial version as I'm writing this.
> With my HRM I automatically get a training diary which is nice. But
> sometimes I find it inconvenient to use especially for information like
how
> long have my tires been on and which bike did I use etc.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Yes...version 2.0 includes the ability to import Polar .hrm files directly.
Just click on "File / Import" on the menu. Soon, I'll add a "drag and drop"
feature, to make importing those files even easier.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Per Elmsäter
December 30th 03, 06:10 PM
GaryG wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
>> GaryG wrote:

>>> If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
>>> bicycle maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats
>>> program at http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free,
>>> fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
>>> "metric-aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric
>>> to imperial whenever you want.
>>
>> Have you ever considered the ability to import files from a for
>> instance a Polar HRM? I'm downloading your trial version as I'm
>> writing this.
>> With my HRM I automatically get a training diary which is nice. But
>> sometimes I find it inconvenient to use especially for information
>> like how long have my tires been on and which bike did I use etc.
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>>

> Yes...version 2.0 includes the ability to import Polar .hrm files
> directly. Just click on "File / Import" on the menu. Soon, I'll add
> a "drag and drop" feature, to make importing those files even easier.

Thanks. I found it when going through what's there. The drag and drop will
be nice since I have over a years worth of hrm files ;)
I take it that I have to download them to my PPP software first and then
manually import them everytime. Or can it be automated by placing them in a
specific directory for instance.

Having three bikes of my own and two more in the family I do like your
maintenance options.

--
Perre

Badger South
December 30th 03, 07:00 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:43:22 -0800, "GaryG"
> wrote:

<snippage>
>Yes...version 2.0 includes the ability to import Polar .hrm files directly.
>Just click on "File / Import" on the menu. Soon, I'll add a "drag and drop"
>feature, to make importing those files even easier.

Dude, pretty cool looking proggy. I'm about to install it. What's the
price? I didn't see it on my very quick perusal of the site and the
'purchase' button didn't work in my browser.

Is that your sole software? Is it in C or VB?

-B

GaryG
December 30th 03, 08:15 PM
"Badger South" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:43:22 -0800, "GaryG"
> > wrote:
>
> <snippage>
> >Yes...version 2.0 includes the ability to import Polar .hrm files
directly.
> >Just click on "File / Import" on the menu. Soon, I'll add a "drag and
drop"
> >feature, to make importing those files even easier.
>
> Dude, pretty cool looking proggy. I'm about to install it. What's the
> price?

$35 US

> I didn't see it on my very quick perusal of the site and the
> 'purchase' button didn't work in my browser.

Well...that's not good. What browser are you using? Do you have JavaScript
enabled?

> Is that your sole software?

Currently, yes, but I'm working on some others for runners/walkers, and snow
sports.

Is it in C or VB?

VB

> -B

GaryG
December 30th 03, 08:21 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
> GaryG wrote:

> >> Have you ever considered the ability to import files from a for
> >> instance a Polar HRM? I'm downloading your trial version as I'm
> >> writing this.
> >> With my HRM I automatically get a training diary which is nice. But
> >> sometimes I find it inconvenient to use especially for information
> >> like how long have my tires been on and which bike did I use etc.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Perre
> >>
> >> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
> >>

> > Yes...version 2.0 includes the ability to import Polar .hrm files
> > directly. Just click on "File / Import" on the menu. Soon, I'll add
> > a "drag and drop" feature, to make importing those files even easier.
>
> Thanks. I found it when going through what's there. The drag and drop will
> be nice since I have over a years worth of hrm files ;)
> I take it that I have to download them to my PPP software first and then
> manually import them everytime. Or can it be automated by placing them in
> specific directory for instance.
>
> Having three bikes of my own and two more in the family I do like your
> maintenance options.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Yes...currently you have to download from the Polar to the PPP software, in
order to create the hrm files. Eventually, I might be able to directly
access files from the Polar, but they consider the data proprietary and make
it quite difficult to decipher. They offer a developer license, but it
costs at least $500 per year, and $1 per program (I think that includes all
downloads, even trial versions). But, if sales support it, and users ask
for it, I might be able to include that in future.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Clint Thayer
December 30th 03, 09:10 PM
Roger,

Gary's app looks pretty cool but if you need something online and has
team features your welcome to check out the activebody.org website
that Denver suggested in his post. Although it does not have the
ability for one person to maintain everyone on the team (mileage
wise), but it does have a great deal of team options and having an
online app (and free) gives your team lots of options. Feel free to
email to my private email account or
) and we can talk more.

Have a great day,
Clint Thayer
Admin
http://www.activebody.org

"GaryG" > wrote in message >...
> [snip]
> > ::
> > :: If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
> > :: bicycle maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats
> > :: program at http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free,
> > :: fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
> > :: "metric-aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric
> > :: to imperial whenever you want.
> >
> > Thanks, Gary. I think your app is exactly what I really want...You'll be
> > hearing from me in 45 days or so. :)
> >

> Great...hope you enjoy it.

Per Elmsäter
December 30th 03, 10:40 PM
Clint Thayer posted a bunch of email adresses:

Clint. I recommend you cancel that post with all your email adresses in it
before the usenet robots make their sweep and cover you with SPAM.

--
Perre

Badger South
December 31st 03, 06:39 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:15:54 -0800, "GaryG"
> wrote:

>"Badger South" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:43:22 -0800, "GaryG"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> <snippage>
>> Dude, pretty cool looking proggy. I'm about to install it. What's the
>> price?
>
>$35 US
>
>> I didn't see it on my very quick perusal of the site and the
>> 'purchase' button didn't work in my browser.
>
>Well...that's not good. What browser are you using? Do you have JavaScript
>enabled?

Yeah it says it is. Avant Browser (tabbed interface).

Thx for the info.

-B

Badger South
December 31st 03, 08:20 PM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:39:16 -0500, Badger South >
wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:15:54 -0800, "GaryG"
> wrote:
Hi GaryG,

I've just installed the Cycling software, pretty nice.

Quick question. I have a bunch of data in XL format, and I do see an
'import' function, so I entered some sample data in the software and
then exported it to see what the format would be.

Then I pasted my old data into this format, and imported. Oddly, it
reported only finding 5 records, no matter how many I imported (I had
about 20 records on the page of my sample). I did not report any
errors.

The exported format was:

Distance Time AvgSpeed AvgHR MaxHR AvgCadence
ElevationGain MaxSpeed (etc)

....as the fields so I filled these in with the old data and then did
the import.

Any idea why the data import finds only the first 5 records? Is this a
limitation of the demo or something?

Thanks.

-B

GaryG
December 31st 03, 10:56 PM
"Badger South" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:39:16 -0500, Badger South >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:15:54 -0800, "GaryG"
> > wrote:
> Hi GaryG,
>
> I've just installed the Cycling software, pretty nice.
>
> Quick question. I have a bunch of data in XL format, and I do see an
> 'import' function, so I entered some sample data in the software and
> then exported it to see what the format would be.
>
> Then I pasted my old data into this format, and imported. Oddly, it
> reported only finding 5 records, no matter how many I imported (I had
> about 20 records on the page of my sample). I did not report any
> errors.
>
> The exported format was:
>
> Distance Time AvgSpeed AvgHR MaxHR AvgCadence
> ElevationGain MaxSpeed (etc)
>
> ...as the fields so I filled these in with the old data and then did
> the import.
>
> Any idea why the data import finds only the first 5 records? Is this a
> limitation of the demo or something?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -B

You had the right idea...that's how Import should work. I'm not sure why it
wouldn't import your other rides, but that's a new feature and there might
be a bug in it.

If you'll email me your spreadsheet I'll take a look at it. Just send it to
CycliStatsSupport *at* shastasoftware.com. I'm heading out shortly for a
couple of days of skiing on Mt. Shasta, but I will look into it by the 2nd
(unless we get snowed in up there).

Happy New Year.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

GaryG
December 31st 03, 10:58 PM
"Badger South" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:39:16 -0500, Badger South >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:15:54 -0800, "GaryG"
> > wrote:
> Hi GaryG,
>
> I've just installed the Cycling software, pretty nice.
>
> Quick question. I have a bunch of data in XL format, and I do see an
> 'import' function, so I entered some sample data in the software and
> then exported it to see what the format would be.
>
> Then I pasted my old data into this format, and imported. Oddly, it
> reported only finding 5 records, no matter how many I imported (I had
> about 20 records on the page of my sample). I did not report any
> errors.
>
> The exported format was:
>
> Distance Time AvgSpeed AvgHR MaxHR AvgCadence
> ElevationGain MaxSpeed (etc)
>
> ...as the fields so I filled these in with the old data and then did
> the import.
>
> Any idea why the data import finds only the first 5 records? Is this a
> limitation of the demo or something?

Just for clarification...no. The trial version is not limited in any way,
except you won't be able to enter any new data after 45 days.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

> Thanks.
>
> -B

Roger Zoul
January 1st 04, 09:38 PM
Clint Thayer wrote:
:: Roger,
::
:: Gary's app looks pretty cool but if you need something online and has
:: team features your welcome to check out the activebody.org website
:: that Denver suggested in his post. Although it does not have the
:: ability for one person to maintain everyone on the team (mileage
:: wise), but it does have a great deal of team options and having an
:: online app (and free) gives your team lots of options. Feel free to
:: email to my private email account or
:: ) and we can talk more.

Clint -- thanks. I'll definitely check it out. However, at this point,
it's just me, my bike, and a piece of road. The online part & free part is
very attractive, btw.

Kaputnik
January 2nd 04, 01:43 AM
"GaryG" > wrote in message >...
> If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks bicycle
> maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program at
> http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a free, fully functional,
> 45-day trial version from the website. It is "metric-aware", and allows you
> to switch back and forth from metric to imperial whenever you want.

I did try it a couple of months ago, for a few days less than the
trial period. It is a pretty nice program. I could recommend it for
people who hate fiddling with spreadsheets.

But I'm afraid it only got me interested enough to get into Excel and
develop my own spreadsheet to do pretty much the same thing. Doesn't
do quite everything your program does, but does all the parts I'm
interested in. Sorry.

I also have Quattro and Lotus 123, but found it was easiest to do this
with Excel.

sdorrity
January 2nd 04, 06:24 AM
Garyg wrote:
> If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks bicycle
> maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program at
> http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a
> free, fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is "metric-
> aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric to imperial
> whenever you want.
> --
> ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com
> CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Gar

Nice program! I'll give it a go over the next few weeks, especially whe
I get my new bike (whatever thats going to be)

We're doing the coast to coast across the pyrenees in September and
was looking for something to log my training, this looks ideal

I've done a simple log for use with a pocket pc but this goes into muc
more detail

regard

Steve

-

Badger South
January 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 06:24:37 GMT, sdorrity
> wrote:

>Garyg wrote:
> > If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks bicycle
> > maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program at
> > http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download a
> > free, fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is "metric-
> > aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric to imperial
> > whenever you want.
> > --
> > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com
> > CycliStats - Software for Cyclists
>
>Gary
>
>Nice program! I'll give it a go over the next few weeks, especially when
>I get my new bike (whatever thats going to be).
>
>We're doing the coast to coast across the pyrenees in September and I
>was looking for something to log my training, this looks ideal.
>
>I've done a simple log for use with a pocket pc but this goes into much
>more detail.
>
>regards
>
>Steve D

One thing I like is the mph, average stats over time, and the
min/mile. I did manage to get that into an Excel spreadsheet. It's not
simple to convert minutes:seconds into miles/hour, but with some work
I got it. The convert from miles/hour into minutes/mile I'm still
struggling with. Anyone have the formulas for those? <g>

-B

GaryG
January 2nd 04, 06:10 PM
"sdorrity" > wrote in message
> Garyg wrote:
> > If you're interested in a Windows-based program that also tracks
bicycle
> > maintenance and health stats, check out my CycliStats program at
> > http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com. You can download
> > free, fully functional, 45-day trial version from the website. It is
"metric-
> > aware", and allows you to switch back and forth from metric to
imperial
> > whenever you want.
> > --
> > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.cyclistats.com/http://www.CycliStats.com
> > CycliStats - Software for Cyclists
>
> Gary
>
> Nice program! I'll give it a go over the next few weeks, especially when
> I get my new bike (whatever thats going to be).
>
> We're doing the coast to coast across the pyrenees in September and I
> was looking for something to log my training, this looks ideal.
>
> I've done a simple log for use with a pocket pc but this goes into much
> more detail.
>
> regards
>
> Steve D

Thanks...hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions, or notice any
problems, feel free to send me an email. You can do this from within
CycliStats via the menu - "Help / Send Email to Tech Support".

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Mike Schwab
January 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
60 min per hr / miles per hr = min per mile
60 / 20 mph = 3 min per mile
60 / 15 mph = 4 min per mile
60 / 12 mph = 5 min per mile
60 / 10 mph = 6 min per mile

Substitute KM for miles and same formulae.

Badger South wrote:
> The convert from miles/hour into minutes/mile I'm still
> struggling with. Anyone have the formulas for those? <g>
>
> -B

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home