PDA

View Full Version : Mashup Map hit's the headlines. (The Age)

Friday
June 6th 06, 10:41 AM
We're news!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/cyclists-trundle-out-mash-up-map/2006/06/06/1149359731526.html

Friday

Gags
June 6th 06, 01:41 PM
"Friday" > wrote in message
> We're news!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/cyclists-trundle-out-mash-up-map/2006/06/06/1149359731526.html

> Friday

That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I do
at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen and
put in the BR route.

Gags

Jules
June 6th 06, 01:49 PM
Friday wrote:
> We're news!
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/cyclists-trundle-out-mash-up-map/2006/06/06/1149359731526.html
>

> Friday

haha sweet.... Just noticed it in the referrer logs myself. The Age
sure is a nice traffic source!

Aeek
June 6th 06, 01:56 PM
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:41:54 +1000, "Gags"
<gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:

>That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I do
>at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen and
>put in the BR route.

TimC is slowly working on it

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20

TimC
June 6th 06, 04:05 PM
On 2006-06-06, Aeek (aka Bruce)
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:41:54 +1000, "Gags"
> <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:
>
>>That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I do
>>at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen and
>>put in the BR route.
>
> TimC is slowly working on it
>
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20

I can't load it in either konqueror or firefox at present, until one
of my feature requests on the forum is dealt with.

Haven't tried opera, but I've only got opera installed on my 5 year
old laptop, which is even less likely able to deal with the large
number of points in an expedient fashion.

--
TimC
Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek. --unknown

TimC
June 6th 06, 04:06 PM
On 2006-06-06, Jules (aka Bruce)
> Friday wrote:
>> We're news!
>>
>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/cyclists-trundle-out-mash-up-map/2006/06/06/1149359731526.html
>>

> haha sweet.... Just noticed it in the referrer logs myself. The Age
> sure is a nice traffic source!

How is the server coping? I would imagine this kind of thing is
precisely the kind of thing you wouldn't want to be slashdotted^Waged.

--
TimC
"This company performed an illegal operation but they will not be shut

Peter McCallum
June 6th 06, 04:17 PM
TimC > wrote:

> On 2006-06-06, Aeek (aka Bruce)
> > On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:41:54 +1000, "Gags"
> > <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >>That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I do
> >>at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen and
> >>put in the BR route.
> >
> > TimC is slowly working on it
> >
> > http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20
>
> I can't load it in either konqueror or firefox at present, until one
> of my feature requests on the forum is dealt with.

Firefox works fine for me.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

dave
June 6th 06, 10:41 PM
Peter McCallum wrote:
> TimC > wrote:
>

>>On 2006-06-06, Aeek (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>TimC is slowly working on it
>>>
>>>http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20
>>
>>I can't load it in either konqueror or firefox at present, until one
>>of my feature requests on the forum is dealt with.
>>

> Firefox works fine for me.

firefox on linux works fine for me

DaveB
June 6th 06, 11:38 PM
TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-06, Aeek (aka Bruce)
>
>>On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:41:54 +1000, "Gags"
>><gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>>That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I do
>>>at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen and
>>>put in the BR route.
>>
>>TimC is slowly working on it
>>
>>http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20
>

> I can't load it in either konqueror or firefox at present, until one
> of my feature requests on the forum is dealt with.

I had a crack at it in Firefox but started getting those timeout errors
around Hurstbridge and gave up. Might give it a try in ... gasp shock
horror ... IE!

DaveB

SuzieB
June 7th 06, 12:29 AM
gplama Wrote:
> sitonyourarse2max.com might be better for mapping out coffee shops...
> bikes are for riding, not leaning up against other bikes... :p
LOL I SOOO dare you to go into Cafe Racer in St Kilda and say that
loudly! :D

--
SuzieB

Stuart Lamble
June 7th 06, 12:35 AM
On 2006-06-06, Jules > wrote:
> haha sweet.... Just noticed it in the referrer logs myself. The Age
> sure is a nice traffic source!

Heh. I'm rather amused that something that's only been mentioned here,
and spread by word of mouth, has made it to the UK, the US, Europe, and
Japan. (just to name countries and regions that I *know* have routes
posted.)

We definitely are going to need that search option soon. :-)

gplama
June 7th 06, 12:37 AM
SuzieB Wrote:
> LOL I SOOO dare you to go into Cafe Racer in St Kilda and say that
> loudly! :D

Has someone got some old wollen kit, Adadis rome's, a RoseBank
Stack-hat, and a busted up Huffy for me to perform this task with!? :)

I'll have to install some stealth SPD's in the romes and clipless
pedals on the Huffy so I can ITT away as they all chase me @ 22km/h :)

--
gplama

Jules
June 7th 06, 12:47 AM
> How is the server coping? I would imagine this kind of thing is
> precisely the kind of thing you wouldn't want to be slashdotted^Waged.

No problems yet... Luckily I fixed up a couple of sub-optimal db queries
over the weekend, though ;-)

Donga
June 7th 06, 05:01 AM
Friday wrote:
> We're news!
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/cyclists-trundle-out-mash-up-map/2006/06/06/1149359731526.html

Seeing as there are quite a few Queensland routes up on Bikely, I've
forwarded this article to the Courier Mail and suggested they pilfer
it.

Waiting, waiting ... coupla days ...

Donga

Jules
June 7th 06, 08:37 AM
Anyone catch the interview on ABC Newcastle this afternoon? During the
"drive" segment.. heh heh..

There'll be another one on ABC Southern NSW tomorrow at 2:35pm.

Gags
June 7th 06, 02:37 PM
"Aeek" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:41:54 +1000, "Gags"
> <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> >That site is great!!! I just did my commute to work and the run that I
do
> >at lunchtimes around the Tan. One of the BR guys will have to get keen
and
> >put in the BR route.
>
> TimC is slowly working on it
>
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Melb-Sunday-BR-x-7-20

I actually did it myself before I read this post.......oh well. Wasn't too
sure on where the official finish is as I turn off early so I went along the
bouly to as far as the Kew Crits loop......let me know if this is wrong.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sunday-BR

Gags

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home