PDA

View Full Version : Meeting cyclists via Usenet?

frkrygow
January 8th 04, 02:54 AM
Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously took
me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.

I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his far-distant
town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough to not answer
the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a chance to accept our
invitation here, although he'd planned to.

Is this common?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

Claire Petersky
January 8th 04, 03:03 AM
"frkrygow" > wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Common? Heck no.

Has it happened to me?

Well, I've met Dane. He goes the other way from me, so we usually pass like
strangers in the night. I wouldn't ride with him if we were going the same
direction -- he's too fast for me.

There's a guy whose posts I've read a lot of on the local bike commuter
board who I met. As it turns out, we share 2/3s of the same route, so if we
actually are riding at the same time, we end up riding together.

Dale Lally very kindly lent me a bike and took me around Ft. Lauderdale two
years ago when I happened to be in Florida for a conference. That was really
nice of him.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Gordon Renkes
January 8th 04, 03:25 AM
frkrygow wrote:
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

I believe you and I discussed cycling advocacy issues via email before
we met at an Ohio Bicycle Federation meeting several years ago. I
suppose we read each other's postings first. After learning about the
new bill introduced into the Ohio Senate recently, we may pick up where
we left off last time.

I have made first acquaintance with several of my cycling buddies when
they enrolled in my LAB Road-1 cycling classes over the years.

G. Renkes

David L. Johnson
January 8th 04, 03:41 AM
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, frkrygow wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Yeah -- I*met "Mike Yankee" after having gotten to know him here.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Zoot Katz
January 8th 04, 03:42 AM
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, >,
"frkrygow" > wrote:

>Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
>after first encountering each other on Usenet?

I've met three. One fluke, two arranged.
--
zk

S o r n i
January 8th 04, 04:18 AM
frkrygow" <"frkrygow wrote:
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Probably fairly common to meet one or two people. When I was exclusively a
mountain biker, I met quite a few members of AM-B, and still see some of
them quite often.

Bill "haven't taken a road trip to do a road RIDE yet" S.

Mike Latondresse
January 8th 04, 05:52 AM
Zoot Katz > wrote in
:

> Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, >,
> "frkrygow" > wrote:
>
>>Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to
>>face after first encountering each other on Usenet?
>
> I've met three. One fluke, two arranged.

Don't forget you avoided me (crowd at the Gastown GP my ass).

Matt O'Toole
January 8th 04, 06:08 AM
frkrygow" <"frkrygow wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?
>
> After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
> started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
> route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously
> took me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.
>
> I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his
> far-distant town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough
> to not answer the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a
> chance to accept our invitation here, although he'd planned to.
>
> Is this common?

I've met three or four people through this newsgroup, and ridden with a couple
when they were in town -- one from England. (Hi Phil!) I've also met people in
other ways, and heard, "so *you're*..."

I'm always glad to meet more. So if anyone's in southwest VA...

Matt O.

David Kerber
January 8th 04, 01:37 PM
In article >, "frkrygow"
> says...
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?
>
> After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
> started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
> route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously took
> me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.
>
> I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his far-distant
> town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough to not answer
> the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a chance to accept our
> invitation here, although he'd planned to.
>
> Is this common?

I doubt it's exactly "common", but I know from personal experience
that it happens. I was looking for some to ride with for a long (new
personal longest, actually) ride, and did so.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Dane Jackson
January 8th 04, 03:31 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky > wrote:

>> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
>> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

> Well, I've met Dane. He goes the other way from me, so we usually pass like
> strangers in the night. I wouldn't ride with him if we were going the same
> direction -- he's too fast for me.

Awww, I'd slow down for you Claire. Well, at least occasionally.

;)

I ran into Chalo at Bikeworks. He was teaching the class on wheelbuilding.
What tipped me off was him talking about Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle
Wheel" and describing him as a curmudgeonly engineer [1]. I figured out
from that that he was a rb.tech reader.

Which reminds me, I need to get around to finishing that front wheel I
have three quarters finished.

[1] I think I'm remembering the phrase correctly.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the

January 8th 04, 05:09 PM
Does the reverse count? After reading Chalo on usenet, I now
realize I may have actually met him in the flesh. I used to
live in a housing co-op in Austin Texas where a large guy called
Chalo with large hair who rode a home-made bicycle used to visit.
Can't be too many of those. I wasn't much into bicycles then.

-harold

Rick Onanian
January 8th 04, 10:08 PM
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:31:25 GMT, Dane Jackson >
wrote:
>I ran into Chalo at Bikeworks. He was teaching the class on wheelbuilding.
>What tipped me off was him talking about Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle
>Wheel" and describing him as a curmudgeonly engineer [1]. I figured out
>from that that he was a rb.tech reader.

The fact that he's slightly larger than The Incredible Hulk didn't
tip you off?
--
Rick Onanian

Karen M.
January 8th 04, 11:24 PM
Frank wrote:
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?
>
> After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
> started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
> route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously took
> me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.
>
> I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his far-distant
> town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough to not answer
> the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a chance to accept our
> invitation here, although he'd planned to.
>
> Is this common?

I don't recall meeting anyone off UseNet, yet, but have hooked with
folks off various other on-line message boards. (GOBA, Tandemmag, AOL,
Baton Rouge BC's Thanksgiving event, and so forth.)
Would love to meet Claire!

--Karen M.

Claire Petersky
January 9th 04, 01:46 AM
"Karen M." > wrote in message
om...

> Would love to meet Claire!

If you're ever in the Seattle area, don't hesitate to drop a line, we'll do
a ride. That goes for most of you, not just Karen. You just get to decide if
you're in the "most" category ;-)

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Elisa Francesca Roselli
January 9th 04, 01:21 PM
"Karen M." wrote:

> I don't recall meeting anyone off UseNet, yet, but have hooked with
> folks off various other on-line message boards. (GOBA, Tandemmag, AOL,
> Baton Rouge BC's Thanksgiving event, and so forth.)

Same here, I've met a number of people through other newsgroups and Internet
venues, and have made some terrific friends that way.

From this list, I narrowly missed meeting up with Luigi de Guzman in Cambridge
last summer. (Hey Luigi, where are you? Long Time No Read!). James Thompson
also very kindly offered to introduce me to some of his bikes in central
Paris, but so far I've been timid to take him up on it.

> Would love to meet Claire!

Wouldn't we all, for bikes and Harry Potter!

EFR
Ile de France
(who dreams of a pilgrimmage to the silvery lights of the Seattle-Vancouver
area some day ...)

PS: If anyone is planning a stop through in the Paris region, with or without
bike, let me know. I feel I'm loosing a lot of close friends these days
because their eyes start crossing when I start drivelling on again about bikes
- so hard to share a mania. But there you have it - Mercury-Pluto sextile,
obsessive mindset.

Dane Jackson
January 9th 04, 08:11 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian > wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:31:25 GMT, Dane Jackson >
> wrote:
>>I ran into Chalo at Bikeworks. He was teaching the class on wheelbuilding.
>>What tipped me off was him talking about Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle
>>Wheel" and describing him as a curmudgeonly engineer [1]. I figured out
>>from that that he was a rb.tech reader.

> The fact that he's slightly larger than The Incredible Hulk didn't
> tip you off?

I suppose it should have, but I didn't really connect the two at the time.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
The true way goes over a rope which is not stretched at any great height

Pete
January 10th 04, 01:43 AM
"frkrygow" > wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
> after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Several years ago ('96ish?), riding my homebuilt 'bent trike back to work at
lunchtime...this minivan passes me and SCREEEEECHES to a halt. Turns around
and two guys jump out. Conversation ensues.."Nice bike, blah de blah."

Turns out we all were on the IHPVA recumbent and/or trikes listserv, and I
had actually talked to one of them a coupla times previously. For some
reason, they just happened to be driving through my subdivision.

Pete

Claire Petersky
January 10th 04, 03:45 AM
"Ken [NY)" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:46:29 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
> > excreted:
>
> >If you're ever in the Seattle area, don't hesitate to drop a line, we'll
do
> >a ride. That goes for most of you, not just Karen. You just get to decide
if
> >you're in the "most" category ;-)
>
> I'll be over tomorrow morning, say about eightish? My sons can
> house-sit while we ride. They tend to eat a lot though.

That would be *fabulous*. My older daughter will be busy with a special exam
all morning -- if your sons can mind my younger one, we have all morning to
ride, and my husband can come too. He just did the grocery shopping, so
there's plenty to eat in the house for your sons.

What do you want to do -- ride around the top of the lake? That would be
about what I'd like to do. It's a 45 mile loop from here, at least the route
I like the best. They say chance of rain tomorrow morning, so bring your
jacket.

See you at 8:00! I can't *wait*!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Claire Petersky
January 10th 04, 04:45 PM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message

> > I'll be over tomorrow morning, say about eightish? My sons can
> > house-sit while we ride. They tend to eat a lot though.
>
> That would be *fabulous*. .
>
> What do you want to do -- ride around the top of the lake? That would be
> about what I'd like to do. It's a 45 mile loop from here, at least the
route
> I like the best. They say chance of rain tomorrow morning, so bring your
> jacket.
>
> See you at 8:00! I can't *wait*!

Ken, it's about 7:40 AM, and I'm just going to go upstairs and put on my
tights. I'm looking forward to seeing you here in just a few minutes. It's
not raining (although overcast), and as warm as 46 degrees already, so it
looks like some good riding. If you're not here by 8:00, I'll be heading up
and over the lake, so just catch up to me, ok?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Claire Petersky
January 11th 04, 06:46 AM
Well, Ken, you never showed, but I did write a review of this morning's
ride, which you may view over at r.b.rides. Sorry, you just missed out!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home